Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2012 Trek Rig, Cobia, Mamba

I have not seen many reviews on the Rig and I get a sweet deal with Trek since I work with Subaru. I am prepared to spend $1000.00 and with my discount I am good to go.
    I see lots of you love the Mamba and want to know if the extra cost in money for the Rig is worth it..

I ride pretty hard and want something that will take the abuse and have a good fork from the factory.
    What are your thoughts..
    Thank You!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think the RIG is a single speed so we can knock that out of the question What about the Montare?? I will be doing a little street action as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by imprezawd View Post
    I think the RIG is a single speed so we can knock that out of the question

Blasphemy!!!!

mtbr member
    rob1035 is right. SS for the win!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I say go for the rig as well.

mtbr member
    Why not go for the X-Cal? Same thing as the rig but you get the 3x10 drivetrain which could be changed to a single speed in the future if you really wanted the single speed.

I am getting a cobia because I can't fork over the extra funds for a x-cal.

mtbr member
    ive been really happy with my cobia, its a really great bike. I have the 2011 version, minus the brakes, its taken a hell of a beating....the brakes werent awful, just loud and not very good modulation.

Get the best bike you can afford, its addicting and you will want to upgrade as you see parts on sale =) With better parts, you spend less money in the long run.

Mamba and the Cobia got some nice changes for 2012...cept, not to fond of the red/white scheme on the cobia....love the red/black on the mamba though.

Also, might think about throwing this in the Trek forum, get some more opinions on people who own these bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    WOW I love the X Caliber looks ! I must of missed that when I was looking the the Trek Website.
    Thanks this is prob the bike I will go with !!

Apr 2007
    Yeah, definitely go for the xcal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was going to get the 2012 Cobia, I had ordered it July. LBS told me it was coming out Sept. 5th. So I waited, then I read on here that some people were already getting theirs. So I called my LBS to see if the Cobia was coming out sooner, they said that the 17.5-21" are out now but the 15.5" (the one I need) is on back order till DECEMBER!!! So I asked about the 2012 X-Cal. The price dropped this year (2012 model) to $1399 from $1619.00 (2011 model). So I ordered it. Told me it would be in on September 2nd. Well I waited for the call yesterday. LBS called me yesterday and said, "The trucks are running behind and now it won't be here till Tuesday Sept. 6" So long 3 day weekend!!!!! So now I'm still waiting! Will it ever get here?

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by speedybacon View Post
    Why not go for the X-Cal? Same thing as the rig but you get the 3x10 drivetrain which could be changed to a single speed in the future if you really wanted the single speed.

I am getting a cobia because I can't fork over the extra funds for a x-cal.
    Or you can get a RIG and later own add a rear derailure and pick up a seperate rear wheel and convert it to a 1 x 9.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

2012 Cobia

Just took delivery of this bike last weekend! LOOOOVE IT ...upgrading from a 2011 Trek Wahoo. The Wahoo was ok, but this bike seems so much better. Im still a newbie, but very happy with it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had a 2010 X-Cal and loved it. I was thinking about picking up a 2011 Rig but I ride the streets daily and the trails on the weekends. I can't see a single speed working for both situations without swapping out the rear cog constantly.

mtbr member
    I am loving my 2012 Cobia. I have had it since august 17th. I am amazed at how smooth it is. I descend so much faster now and have so much more control. I have no problem on rocky trails, I just point and go. With it being my first 29er I can see why so many people like them. Everyday at work all I can think about is getting off work so I can go ride. I am hoping to get some clipless pedals soon to keep things interesting.
    Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast!

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Go with the Rig.If your trails are anything but straight fire roads, you can go just as fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i have the 2011 xcal it is an awesome bike upgraded to x9 and some nobby nics front and ralphs rear tires its a great setup
    gonna get a set of wheels cobalts or crossmax one of these days

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've got a 2012 cobia so far it's good. The only strange thing was to receive a Deore front derailleur instead of a SRAM X5 as advertised.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesrg View Post
    I've got a 2012 cobia so far it's good. The only strange thing was to receive a Deore front derailleur instead of a SRAM X5 as advertised.
    I just checked my front deraileur and it's also a Deore? Whats up with that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yep, I've received the manual from SRAM but the derailleur is Shimano Deore. I've written to trek to complain and they asked me to call the dealer and ask them to change. I think trek will refund or ship them another and they will install the Sram X5.
    The only problem that I have is that my dealer is about 1 hour away. I may schedule that for the future.

Now Shimano Deore vs X5, from what I read they are on the same category, what I like about the X5 is to keep all components in the same brand instead of having a Frankenstein.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cobia or DS 8.4?

I like the 8.4 because I'm on the road a lot, but I can only do "light trail" riding. I like to go trail riding now and then.

I like the Cobia because I can go trail riding, but am curious to how it would be as a "around town" type.

Both are nice looking bikes IMO, tho I like the looks of the 8.4 a little better

My LBS has the Cobia in my size in stock, the 8.4 will not be here till the end of the month, and my bicycle riding weather is going away fast...

Thoughts/input?

Thanks!

**edit** got the Cobia after much talking to my LBS. Too bad it's pouring out...
    Last edited by SweemZ; 11-05-2011 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SweemZ View Post
    Cobia or DS 8.4?

I like the 8.4 because I'm on the road a lot, but I can only do "light trail" riding. I like to go trail riding now and then.

I like the Cobia because I can go trail riding, but am curious to how it would be as a "around town" type.

Both are nice looking bikes IMO, tho I like the looks of the 8.4 a little better

My LBS has the Cobia in my size in stock, the 8.4 will not be here till the end of the month, and my bicycle riding weather is going away fast...

Thoughts/input?

Thanks!

**edit** got the Cobia after much talking to my LBS. Too bad it's pouring out...
    You did the right thing, you will be thankful in the trails :P City riding or road it's okay, if you really do it a lot just get a new set of tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree with Charles, I ride my '11 Cobia a lot in town, its comfortable even on pavement. I have a 11-12 mile loop that is about 50/50 road and trail and I do well riding with a buddy on a Trek 7fx, fyi he has a lot of problems on the trail section. The Cobia is at home in the dirt though. I've made some changes from stock form and it just keeps getting better. imo you made the more versatile choice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If the Cobia was at the upper end of your budget, but you were offered a deal on a Scott Scale 29er Elite for only $250 more than the Cobia, would the Scott be worth the stretch? I am a newb when it comes to comparing componetry specs, so my apologies in advance if this is a no-brainer one way or the other.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Noob to the forum and I have to agree with others about the Cobia. I have a 8.4 DS and wanted to do some "light" trail riding but found out I needed something a little more versatile so I put a deposit down on a Trek Mamba. Rode it yesterday and it rides great. Hope to pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait to get it on the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Getting close to grabbing a 2012 Cobia. Everything I read is very positive. I'm not into jumps or anything crazy but can this bike handle smaller ledges and drops?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast