mtbr member
    May 2011

2012 Trek Cobia vs 2011 Haro Mary XC Expert

In the market for a 29er (my 1st). Narrowed it down to these 2:

2012 Trek Cobia from my local bike shop, can get it for somewhere between $1000 and $1100. Comes with 2 yrs free maintenance and the shop is like a minute from my house,

2011 Haro Mary XC Expert. It's a steel frame so I worry a bit about the weight, although as a more expensive bike it might not really weigh more than the Cobia- maybe even less? I can get it online for around $1000 but I would have to pay a bit for shipping, plus pedals, and a bit more for the bike shop to build. So I figure around $1200 or so, but no free maintenance.

I am not a racer but I want a pretty fast bike, one that can handle both streets and trails since I ride a mix of both. I have no illusions about keeping up with roadies on the streets, but I would like it to feels a little faster on the road than my current old 26er.

Which should I get? I am 5'11 and about 160 lbs if that matters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

good either way

Sounds like either bike would be good for you, but I will throw out there that supporting your LBS can go along way...

Pat

mtbr member
    May 2011
    can anyone else weigh in on this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like you're saying you can't test ride the Haro. From Haro's website, the medium weighs 32.6lbs which is a lot for a $1600 HT 29er. Interesting both frames are red, but I like the look of the Haro better. 9 speed 12-36 vs 10 speed 11-36. Deore/XT vs X5. I would go for the Trek based on weight and resale.
    Idaho

mtbr member
    May 2011
    actually not sure I can test-ride either since the LBS has to order the Cobia for me...
    I also prefer the look of the Haro, plus it's uniqueness, that's my dilemma. My real issue is whether the weight difference of the steel frame will be a factor in street speed and climbing.