mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2012 Superfly AL 100 v 2011 HiFi 29 Plus

I am getting one of these two bikes, and realize that they are very similar in most regards. The 2012 is $400 more. Is it worth getting the 2012?

The frame is slightly different on the 2012, I think it also has slightly lighter rims. 2012 has elixir instead of Juicy brakes, and fox instead of rockshox fork.

Does anyone have experience with both bikes? Is there a noticeable ride and quality difference to throw down extra $400? I must say I prefer the paint job on 2011 bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The fox forks alone are worth getting the 2012 bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Whys that? I've heard fox is a bit smoother but rockshox have more features. Is this incorrect?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If someone could give me additional input on these two bikes I'd really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was in the same predicament.... I ended up getting the hifi plus.. love the Reba front fork
    The difference for me was $300. I spent the $300 on new tires, x9 rear deraileur, and some protective gear

Rohloff
    I own a 2011 HiFi 29. I haven't carefully analyzed what's different on the 2012. If you polled MTBR, I think you'd find Fox vs. RockShox is a draw. I suspect the same for most of the rest of the components. I say save a few bucks and get the 2011. You'll have no problems finding a place to spend the $400. Besides, it's got a cooler paint job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks 2000 and BSDC. I do like the paint job, definitely. With that $400, should I spend that on a better derailuer and maybe even better brakes? Or are the Juicy 3 good brakes? Also, I'm assuming a thicker tire in the back would probably be a good move?

Also, if someone could explain the difference between the shocks Id really appreciate that, because I have had some RS fans, and some FOX fans, but I can't figure out why, hahaha.

mtbr member
    definitely not worth the extra $400 for the 2012. regarding fox vs rs, some like one and some like the other- like sram and shimano.

i look at the brakes around the same- juicy 3s are entry level juicy and elixir 1 are entry level elixir. both are okay but can be upgraded eventually. it's not like they're bad by any means. my wife has juicy 3s and they're not that bad.

i say go with the 2011 and save the cash. if you're going to upgrade, i say work out a deal with the lbs. like asking them to swap out the rd for an x9 or the x7 shifter for x9s and see what they would charge- sometimes they can cut good deals that way. you can also ask if they can go a little lower on the 2011- never hurts to ask (unless you asked a couple times already).

enjoy!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

davidcarson48
    2011. I'd use the $400 for a lightweight wheelset first. X.7 will serve you well for some time. Replace it when it takes a dump on you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

light wheels

Hi David,

Do you have a recommendation? The stock wheels are about 950grams I think, and tubeless ready, so they don't seem terrible. Are there stronger/lighter ones out there?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

HiFi/Superfly

A more expensive rear deraileur will not shift any better at all. More expensive ones are only more durable. Spend money on something that will make a noticeable difference. You won't notice any difference in shifting at all between any rear deraileur you put on there.
    It's your money though, you decide.
    By the way, I think I'm going to save some cash and get the 2011 HiFi. Love the 2011 paint job. I have a Mamba hardtail and love the graphics.
    I don't think I'd put a fatter tire on there. On a 29er skinny ones seem to work better. It's already more rubber and skinny tires go through mud a little better. I have a Nevegal on the front and Maxxis Ignitor on the back. It works really well even in very muddy conditions.
    Skinny in the back fat in the front.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgavr View Post
    Thanks 2000 and BSDC. I do like the paint job, definitely. With that $400, should I spend that on a better derailuer and maybe even better brakes? Or are the Juicy 3 good brakes? Also, I'm assuming a thicker tire in the back would probably be a good move?

Also, if someone could explain the difference between the shocks Id really appreciate that, because I have had some RS fans, and some FOX fans, but I can't figure out why, hahaha.
    Ride it stock right out of the box. Replace it as it breaks or wears out. Juicy 3s will stop your bike. I like big knobby rubber, but I'd wear out the stock tires first.

The Fox vs. Rockshox is a subtle personal choice. The are both great shock manufacturers. I've ridden both. I just slightly prefer Fox because it is simpler to set up and feels more plush to me. Others like the extra adjustability of Rockshox and feel it makes for a better fork. If you want to know more, you can search and find a bunch of threads on the subject. I'd argue that if you have to ask, it doesn't really matter which fork you pick.

Just buy a bike and ride the crap out of it. One of two things will happen. You occasionally ride and enjoy it and it's not worth fretting all these details or you'll become a nut and get caught in the never ending trap of micro-analyzing bike bits. In that case the bike you're buying now will end up being your back up beater ... so once again, it's not worth fretting all these details.

I do recommending going tubeless.

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgavr View Post
    Hi David,

Do you have a recommendation? The stock wheels are about 950grams I think, and tubeless ready, so they don't seem terrible. Are there stronger/lighter ones out there?

Thanks
    It is a decent wheelset. Really no real reason to swap right away. I'm 205 pounds and found the wheelset a little flexy and about a year later they needed frequent truings so I upgraded to Flows/Hopes. Not much lighter, but much better hub engagement on the Hopes and much stiffer rim. Good for my weight and the rocks here in NNJ.

If you are lighter, you could certainly save some weight on wheels, which would be more noticeable than upgrading the drivetrain. Or pocket the $400 and ride it until you decide what is right for you.

Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the advice guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bsdc View Post
    Ride it stock right out of the box. Replace it as it breaks or wears out. Juicy 3s will stop your bike. I like big knobby rubber, but I'd wear out the stock tires first.

I'd argue that if you have to ask, it doesn't really matter which fork you pick.

Just buy a bike and ride the crap out of it. One of two things will happen. You occasionally ride and enjoy it and it's not worth fretting all these details or you'll become a nut and get caught in the never ending trap of micro-analyzing bike bits. In that case the bike you're buying now will end up being your back up beater ... so once again, it's not worth fretting all these details.
    AAAAAAAAAMEN! Just ride and see what you like from there.