Team Fainting Goats
    Jun 2011

2012 Specialized Rockhopper 26 or 29?

Brand new to the forum, please be gentle! I know this is a 29er post, but I need to hear this from people other than 26er fan boys. I am in the process of buying a 2012 RH, but cannot decide between the 26 and 29 whell size. I am being told that 29ers are hard to get moving and much heavier than 26rs. I am riding XC on beginner trails; I am new to MTB, but loving it! Price diff is $40.00 ($830 vs. $870) at my LBS. Any ideas? Thx in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    for only 40 dollars definitely go with a 29er. For beginner XC trails its definitely going to be better. A lot of the discussion on what is better is when talking about top of the line bikes and for what the pros ride.

A 29er will be heavier than a 26er, but on an entry level bike its not going to make a difference.

ballbuster

heh, look who you're asking!

Quote Originally Posted by barrjesu View Post
    Brand new to the forum, please be gentle! I know this is a 29er post, but I need to hear this from people other than 26er fan boys. I am in the process of buying a 2012 RH, but cannot decide between the 26 and 29 whell size. I am being told that 29ers are hard to get moving and much heavier than 26rs. I am riding XC on beginner trails; I am new to MTB, but loving it! Price diff is $40.00 ($830 vs. $870) at my LBS. Any ideas? Thx in advance.
    Well, if you really ride like by shooting out of a BMX gate, then 29er have a slight disadvantage in that department. Slight. Really... who rides like that except Dual Slalom racers?

IMO, everywhere else, 29er have the advantage. They roll way faster down the trail, and maintain their speed better. I say go 29er, but that is me. YYMV. Season to taste.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    2012?

Team Fainting Goats
    Jun 2011
    Yes, 2012. They are not on the Specialized website yet, but my LBS has them already. The only pics I could find is out of this Chicago site though:

Just realized that I cannot post links since I do not have 10 posts :. Search "Kozy Bikes Chicago" then just click on the 2012 bikes area. They have the Specialized and Giant 2012s that are already out. Specialized has already released its Hardrock and Rockhopper level bikes.

Check them out they are sweet!!!

Team Fainting Goats
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Well, if you really ride like by shooting out of a BMX gate, then 29er have a slight disadvantage in that department. Slight. Really... who rides like that except Dual Slalom racers?

IMO, everywhere else, 29er have the advantage. They roll way faster down the trail, and maintain their speed better. I say go 29er, but that is me. YYMV. Season to taste.
    Makes sense. I am no where near the BMX out of the gate. My concern is on stop and go riding. Does a 29er take that much more effort?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Makes sense. I am no where near the BMX out of the gate. My concern is on stop and go riding. Does a 29er take that much more effort?
    In my opinion it doesn't take any more effort, I have a 26er and I was test riding 29'ers from Trek(Rumble fish) and Specialized (Stump jumper) on single track trails last weekend. I didn't have any trouble stopping and going, I want a 29er bad..
    Last edited by Wahoo1999; 06-30-2011 at 06:00 AM.

ballbuster

Heh... nah!

The concern comes from added wheel weight of 29er wheels. It really isn't that different. Those who cite that difference really don't know what they are talking about. They are thinking of the differences on paper.

Yes, there is a minor difference. Does it really matter? I dunno... are you racing short track or dual slalom for money? To me, it's all about smiles per hour. 29er IMO are way more fun to ride.

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    I've had several 26" through the years and I'm on my second 29" and I don't see myself ever going back. I think a 29er makes you a better rider, I can float over stuff that my buddies on their 26ers work harder at. I had hard tail 29ers and now I'm on a full squish and I love it. Go with the 29, you won't regret it!
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

Team Fainting Goats
    Jun 2011
    Thanks to all!! Buying, or ordering if not in stock, my 29er today! Will post pics soon. I know 1 of you made fun of me for posting the question in this area after saying I was tired of hearing the answer from 26er fanboys; I am not stupid. Most 26er fanboys have never ridden a 29er, but most 29er fanboys started with 26ers and for some reason love them. It makes more sense to pick the mind of a 29er fanboy, which I will prob soon be, than the mind of a 26er fanboy who has never tried the other. Once again thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Did you get it or have to order? What color scheme?

Team Fainting Goats
    Jun 2011
    I rode both and felt more comfortable on the 26er. They had it in stock, so I brought it home. Absolutely love it! Black/Orange/White

FnG
    May 2011
    My friends both just got the 2012 Rock Hopper 29ers. In the Red/White and the Grey/White. They're loving it, they both just got into mtn biking. I also just got a 2011 RH SL Pro29er a couple months ago. Loving the 29er.

Here;s a pic of his 2012 RH. 15.5" Frame

Here's my 2011 RH 15.5"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I actually have both. I happen to like them both... although I'm sure I'm slowly getting used to rider a 9er.

Team Fainting Goats
    Jun 2011

Finally broke down and bought a 29er!

Well, I finally did it I placed an order for a 2012 Specialized Carve Expert yesterday! Should have it by next Thursday, will post about it later.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    got 2012 rockhopper comp 29er week ago at my LBS
    after having 100 miles(about 75 on trails) on it i live it everything handles pretty well. i think its the best bike for the price.
    2012 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2007 K2 FS
    2006 Ironhorse Quantum

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

How have you been liking it?

I rode both and felt more comfortable on the 26er. They had it in stock, so I brought it home. Absolutely love it! Black/Orange/White
    I've been riding a 26" 2001 Haro 8.1 escape for the last few years and have absolutely loved the feel. Been riding almost every day for the last 24 months and decided it was time to upgrade to the 21st century, with all the latest technology. On paper, the 29ers are perfect for the way I ride, so i drank the kool-aid and ended up buying a 2013 Hardrock Sport Disc 29er. Unfortunately, i can't get used to it and will see if there's any ways my LBS will take it back. Curious as to how you've been liking your 26 rockhopper?