Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite vs Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 29

8K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  hoogie 
#1 ·
Question,
Now that I own a new 2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite (XL) I stopped by another LBS and they pretty much told me the Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 29 was what I should have gotten. First they don’t sell Scott, second they said the Scott XL was too small and I needed a 23” (?) and third they said the Specialized was overall a much better bike. BUT, it’s almost $800 more that I spent on the Elite and for that I could almost get the Scott Carbon Expert. I have the 30 day return and was wondering what everyone thought….I’m still new and green to all this and hope I’m not too easily persuaded. Also where does it end, I could just keep adding $200, $500, $800, $1200….where do I stop. Should I just keep the Scott and ride…..Thanks
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite ($1440 paid) or Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 29 ($2200)

#2 ·
Question,
Now that I own a new 2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite (XL) I stopped by another LBS and they pretty much told me the Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 29 was what I should have gotten. First they don't sell Scott, second they said the Scott XL was too small and I needed a 23" (?) and third they said the Specialized was overall a much better bike. BUT, it's almost $800 more that I spent on the Elite and for that I could almost get the Scott Carbon Expert. I have the 30 day return and was wondering what everyone thought….I'm still new and green to all this and hope I'm not too easily persuaded. Also where does it end, I could just keep adding $200, $500, $800, $1200….where do I stop. Should I just keep the Scott and ride…..Thanks
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite ($1440 paid) or Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 29 ($2200)
I picked up my 11' Stumpy comp carbon for $2400 this time last year. I would ask for a better deal. Its a great bike by the way.

#4 ·
Unless you find a special deal you almost always get what you pay for and a bike that cost 50% more might have some pluses especially since you are going from a big company to a huge company.

I'm speaking generally and don't know anything about either one of the bikes but I would say that your Scott is likely a nice bike and you should just ride it. You can almost always get a better bike, just like you can almost always get a better car. The top of the line Specialized 29er is $10k and I'm sure it is a better bike but few are going to lay out that much.

The other thing I would consider personally is the guy trying to sell you the Spesh is being kind of pushy and stepping out of bounds in my opinion. Sounds like a used car salesman. Plus unless you are 6'6" I doubt your XL frame is too small.

#5 ·
Of course they're telling you this. They want your business. There is no way I would buy that Specialized from them. They totally crossed the line. The Scott is a good frame. I don't know the specs on each bike, but the Specialized may have better components, but that doesn't mean the frame is any better.

I agree with keeping the Scott and upgrade wheels. That will make any bike better

#6 · (Edited)
Keep the Scott. I have a 2011 Scale Elite and have been very happy with it and I'm sure the people who bough the Spesh probably are too. If it does what you want, fits good then keep it and like others said use the money saved to upgrade parts if you want.

The sales guy at the LBS sounds very pushy and even if he was right I would have been put off enough and just ignored him.

#8 ·
I can't speak to the models you mentioned but I have had a S-Works carbon stumpy (frigging awesome bike btw) and now I own a Scale Pro and with that I can say that the Scott rides smoother and climbs a little better. The thing is that whatever the Scott does better than the Stumpy it's not so much better that it does it so much better that I would regret owning the Stumpy over the Scott or visa versa. I'm with bj.bonnette, use the money you saved on the Scott and invest in a wheel upgrade and then go ride that thing. Oh, one more thing, eff the Specialized shop guy, just sayin.

#10 ·
when i was buying my last bike, i seriously looked at the scott 29er, but there were none left in my size in the country ... i have since bought a specialized camber 29er which i am quite happy with ...

what you describe is something that i am familiar with ... lbs dude happily states that any other bike apart from the one's he sells are 'sh*t' ... since i bought the bike i wanted and was happy with, from the the other lbs in town, he hasn't talked to me ...

if you are happy with your bike, stick with it!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.