mtbr member
    Jun 2010

2012 Salsa Horsethief vs 2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

Please help me compare the 2012 Horsethief vs the 2013 Horsethief 3

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2012 for around $2200 (retail +2900). 2013 Horsethief 3 is coming in at $2550. Seems that with the Fox suspension (front and back), SRAM 9 in rear derailleur, Elixir 5 brakes, stan's flow wheels, the 2012 might offer better value. Obviously a big change in the 2013 is in the frame -- with the hydroformed tube. Just not sure the 2013 is worth it over the 2012, considering it seems the 2012 specs out better, and is cheaper. Any thoughts from those who know a lot more about this than me .... which is everyone ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For simplicity's sake -- here are the breakdowns:
    2012 Horsethief:
    6061-T6 Heat Treated Aluminum Tubeset; a mix of hydroformed and shaped tubing, custom spec'd with all-mountain riding in mind; 142 x 12mm Maxle dropout
    SRAM X.9 2 x 10 drivetrain with Formula/Stan's wheels and Conti Mountain King II 29 x 2.35" tires
    Fox 34 RL fork, QR15, tapered steerer, 120mm (convertible to 140mm)
    Fox Float RP2 Boost Valve Air rear shock; adjustable rebound; 120mm travel; two ProPedal settings: Off for unrestricted bump absorption, On for optimized climbing
    Simplified one-piece rear triangle with shaped stays and a shared pivot link design that reduces pivot points and hardware
    ISCG-05 chain guide tabs
    Get full specs on the Horsethief at salsacycles.com
    Crankset: SRAM S1000 GXP, SM = 170mm, MD, LG, XL = 175mm
    Chainring: SRAM 22/36T
    Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP
    Chain: KMC X10
    Cassette: SRAM PG-1030, 12-36T
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X7, 2 x 10, High Direct Mount
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9, 10-Speed, Mid Cage, White
    Fork: Fox 34 RL 120mm (convertible to 140mm), QR15, Tapered Steerer, White, Custom for Salsa
    Headset: Cane Creek 40-Series, Tapered ZS, Black
    Handlebar: Salsa Pro Moto 2, 11-Degree Flat, 31.8mm, Black, 710mm Width
    Stem: Salsa Pro Moto 2, 31.8mm, Black
    Grips: Salsa Juegos de Fuegos
    Front Brake: SRAM Elixir 5, 180mm, 6-Bolt, HS1 Rotor
    Rear Brake: SRAM Elixir 5, 160mm, 6-Bolt, HS1 Rotor
    Brake Levers: SRAM Elixir 5
    Tires: Continental Mountain King II 29 x 2.35", Folding Bead
    Front Shifter: SRAM X7 Trigger, 2 x 10
    Rear Shifter: SRAM X7 Trigger, 10-Speed
    Seatpost: Salsa Pro Moto 2, 31.6mm
    Seatclamp: Salsa Flip-Lock, Special Color
    Saddle: WTB Pure V, Black
    Front Hub: Formula, 15mm Thru-Axle, Sealed Cartridge, 32H, Special Color
    Rear Hub: Formula, Double Sealed Cartridge, 32H, Special Color
    Quick Release: Front: Fox QR15; Rear: SRAM 12 x 142mm Maxle
    Spokes: DT Swiss, Competition, Butted 2.0/1.8, Black
    Nipples: DT Swiss, ProLock Brass
    Rims: Stan's Flow 29er, 32H

2013 Horsethief 3:6061-T6 heat-treated aluminum; custom spec'd mix of hydrofromed and shaped tubing paired wtih a RockShox Sektor, Tapered, 130mm travel
    15mm front, 12x142mm rear axles
    Front Der: Shimano SLX HDM
    Rear Der: Shimano SLX
    Cassette: Shimano Deore 10-Speed, 11-36T
    Chain: KMC X10
    Crankset: Shimano Deore 24/32/42T
    Fork: RockShox Sektor, Tapered, 130mm travel
    Rear Shock: RockShox Monarch R, 7.5x2"
    Headset: Cane Creek 10 ZS44/56
    Stem: Salsa Pro Moto 3
    Handlebar: Salsa Pro Moto 3, 11-Degree
    Grips: Salsa Backcountry
    Shifter: Shimano SLX 3x10
    Front Brake: Avid Elixir 1
    Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 1
    Rotors: 180mm Front/160mm Rear
    Seatpost: Salsa Pro Moto 3
    Saddle: WTB Pure V
    Tires: Continental Mountain King II 29 x 2.4"
    Front Hub: Salsa 3 by Formula, 32H, 15mm Thru Axle
    Rear Hub: Salsa 3 by Formula, 32H, 12x142mm Thru Axle
    Spokes: DT Swiss
    Rims: Sun Inferno 28mm

29ers Forever
    I would go for the 2012 because you would be getting more bike for the money. The '12 has Fox shocks, elixir 3 (over elixir 1), and X7/X9 drivetrain.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    I recently picked up a 2012 and could not be happier with it. The closeout deals are also really great. You can get one here Universal Cycles - The Largest Selection of Road and Mountain Bike Parts for $2059. The component spec is so much better than the 2013 3. I would not go lower than the Horsethief 2 on the 2013 models. The Elixir 5 brakes are ok so far, although I will upgrade to Shimano when they wear out or when I start having problems with them, whichever comes first. The Fox fork is nice and plush.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I say go for the value (without any performance loss) of the 12' unless you simply prefer Shimano which the 13' has. Even then, you could swap parts out for a similar price. I trust in Stans wheels also.

Tough choice though

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The 2012 also has hydroformed tubes. What the 2013 adds is an S-bend on the downtube to allow a water bottle cage. Component wise, the 2012 is head and shoulders above the 2013:
    Fox F34 vs Sektor
    RP2 Boost valve vs Monarch R (no lockout, which you might value on this type of rig)
    Flows vs Sun inferno
    Elixir 5 vs Elixir 1

Overall, I'd value the 2012 as being worth at least ~$500 more than the package-3 2013. It's up to you to decide how much you value a water bottle mount. It's a must have for some. I place a high value on a water bottle mount, but not $500.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks all -- definitely helping to validate my thoughts. I appreciate the input.

Progfan-- what size did you go with and how tall are you? I am 5' 10.5" (179cm). I have typically ridden Large frames -- most recently coming off a 19" 26er hardtail frame. Looks like the Salsas run 18" M and 20" L. Salsa recommends riders between 173cm - 183cm ride a M, and 180cm - 191cm ride a large. so I am right at the bottom of Large and toward the top of Medium. Where are you at on the scale?

mtbr member
    Radioface,

I am 5'7" and went with a small. I'm technically a "tweener" for many bike sizes, as the cockpits on mediums usually feel good to me, but the 'Thief is a big bike and I went with small for standover and maneuverability since it has a long wheelbase. I used the fit chart at competitivecyclist.com to confirm my instincts on this, as there weren't any Horsethiefs for me to demo locally.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    Radioface,

I am 5'7" and went with a small. I'm technically a "tweener" for many bike sizes, as the cockpits on mediums usually feel good to me, but the 'Thief is a big bike and I went with small for standover and maneuverability since it has a long wheelbase. I used the fit chart at competitivecyclist.com to confirm my instincts on this, as there weren't any Horsethiefs for me to demo locally.
    Thanks!

I just spent the last hour comparing the geometry on the horsethief to past bikes I have owned -- little bit of apples to oranges considering I have always been on 26ers. I am definitely a bit of a tweener as well between M and L and typically like L cockpits, but I am shading toward M on this one...

mtbr member
    They set the Horsethief up with a longer top tube and a short-ish stem for a more aggressive riding posture. You'll notice that the geo for the cockpit on the 'Thief is somewhat different from their XC bike, the Spearfish. I'm guessing the medium would be good for you. It might be worth it to even call Salsa and ask, if you aren't sure. They're nice guys and are usually very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    cool thanks -- just did the virtual measurement on competitive cyclist and the virtual top tube rec came out as a M. which was helpful

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    $2200 seems a bit pricey considering universal cycles is selling it for $2059. I'd print out their price and see if the guy will match it.
    Universal Cycles -- Salsa Horsethief Complete Bike - 2012

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    yup -- Universal Cycles definitely seems to be the ticket. $50 shipping to New Hampshire -- not bad!

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioface View Post
    yup -- Universal Cycles definitely seems to be the ticket. $50 shipping to New Hampshire -- not bad!
    If it were me, I would chose the 2012 for sure. Better spec, better price.

Also something to consider, the price from UC is great, and they are a great place to order from, but the difference is only $90. If your LBS offers free tune-ups, etc. you might be better sticking with them. They would also be a big help if any warranty problems crop up. Then again, if you wrench your own stuff forget what I just said!