mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2012 Salsa El Mariachi 2 vs Santa Cruz Bicycles Highball AL 29er - R XC Build

Hello everyone
    i am in the market for a new bike. I haven't rode in about 10 yrs, yrs ago i was pretty serious. Last bike was a Ted Wojcik soft trac 26" full xtr nice bike, unfortunately i sold it.

Now its time to get back into the sport. I live in Northern Ma I plan to start out slowly but eventually get the bug again.
    So the bike i am looking at are theSanta Cruz Bicycles Highball AL 29er - R XC Build and the Salsa El Mariachi 2. I will be ordering one of these bikes online. I have tested the salsa it was nice fit and a nice ride for pavement was not allowed to trail ride. I like the specs of both and i know one is a steel and one is an aluminium. Please no fights over the metal difference. I am Just looking for opinions on the two bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would go with the El Mar. I have one, and for an all around hard tail trail bike, it is fantastic.

mtbr member
    are you going to have a chance to ride the highball before ordering? both are nice bikes. i have last year's el mar and love it but haven't ridden the highball.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL

In the same boat here. This will be my upgrade from a 94 giant Yukon. Test road a SC Highball carbon and it was simply awesome; felt like superman on it. I want to test ride the El mariachi to compare. Interested in hearing a direct comparison too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

singletrack bound
    I have an El Mar and I like it very much for the ride quality. I have ridden an alum Hi ball and it is a good ride too but if I was going to go Hi-Ball I would go carbon but that changes everything as far as comparison goes and $$$ so I would say El Mar for the comparison of the two and the $$$ difference.

both choices are nice bikes!

you will be happy after the long layoff.....
    Sorrel Seeker !!

ready to ride
    Wow, I almost started the same thread except I was going to do the El Mariachi 2 versus the new SC Superlite 29er DXC build. I know apples and oranges, but they are both within my budget. I too have done a test ride on the El Mar on pavement and liked it a lot. I have pretty much made up my mind on the El Mar, the biggest deciding factor is the fork and wheel set.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Wow, I almost started the same thread except I was going to do the El Mariachi 2 versus the new SC Superlite 29er DXC build. I know apples and oranges, but they are both within my budget. I too have done a test ride on the El Mar on pavement and liked it a lot. I have pretty much made up my mind on the El Mar, the biggest deciding factor is the fork and wheel set.
    yeah, try to get a decent wheel set it will make a difference in the ride. I just went from an 80mm Reba to a 100mm Reba Rlt and a 10mm through axle and it's been a good change for me.
    For wheels I'm running DT Swiss 240's on Stan's Arches and they have been pretty *****in' so far!
    enjoy!
    Sorrel Seeker !!

Uncle
    Do you want 5.5+ lbs of steel or ~4lbs of aluminum? Not much difference otherwise according to the website specs.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have not tested the highball and there are not any around here. its a hard choice i like the superlight 29 but in my price range cheaper groupset. I would like to buy and not upgrade. I know there is always something new to get lol. Is there going to be a real differences in the ride quality? I am still up in the air.
    There are a bunch of people that have and love the salsa, the highball is new so not allot of help on the ride quality experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So which one has the better wheel set/

Warrior's Society
    Have a 2010 El Mar that I have been riding the last year and a half.

Will be selling as soon as the Highball Al frames become available.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Do you want 5.5+ lbs of steel or ~4lbs of aluminum? Not much difference otherwise according to the website specs.
    well I'm riding the small El Mar and it 5.19 # and currently @ 1 x 10 it comes in @ 24.5 # .....as a SS it weighed 23 and change and the bike rides nice. The Alum highball I rode was SS and it weighed 22.5# and since I'm not racing much these days, I still liked the overall ride of the El Mar. If weight isn't a factor why not just go for the Santa Cruz Superlight 29er and be done with it?
    I guess what I'm saying is between 23-25 lbs complete bike, I still pick the El Mar, but if I had unlimited funds, I would probably go with the carbon highball and get back into some racing!
    Last edited by Tone No Balone; 04-15-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    wow i just found this bike diamondback overdrive pro with a really good groupset, but no tapered headtube what do think