mtbr member

2012 Flash alloy 29er 2 vs. 2012 Giant XTC1 alloy 29er vs. 2013 XTC2

Im looking at getting a new 29er. I will becoming off a Santa Cruz Superlight. I test rode both bikes problem is it was just a parking lot try out. I liked the feel of both bikes I would like some input from fellow forum members. Right now since they are 2012 models the shop is offering 10% off. The Cannodale they offered to set up tubeless for free. I look forward to your input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Giant dealer in my area will let you free demo a bike for a day for your trails. I'd zero in on the steering on the Giants. 71.5 HT angle makes it quick and less stable than a Scott scale 29 at 69.5 for me. The Elite and Expert are worth checking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's a toss-up.

pick:
    - the shock you like best
    - the shop you like better
    - the bike you think looks better

What would I buy? I bought a barely used flash carbon 3 on ebay for the money you're going to spend. Personal preference though.

Come on Fhwdgads
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    It's a toss-up.

pick:
    - the shock you like best
    - the shop you like better
    - the bike you think looks better

What would I buy? I bought a barely used flash carbon 3 on ebay for the money you're going to spend. Personal preference though.

mtbr member
    The bikes are all at the same bike shop. The crew there seems to know the brands pretty well. It just stinks that the shop is over an hour from where I live. It seams here where I live the only brands that get any consideration are Specialized and Trek.

mtbr member
    I don't know if there is a REI near you or if they would even have the same bike but the one near me has a Flash Carbon 3 for 2 thousand and change. I saw it today and would have taken it on a test ride but I had my 2 year old with me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Flash 2 Alloy owner here. So far, I've been super impressed with the Lefty. Also the rear stays on the Flash have a bit of flex that smooths out the trail chatter. I overlooked that feature of the frame initially and it's impressed me on every ride. The flash is an efficient pedaler either for long grinds up the mts or w/ the lefty locked out on bike paths around town.

Definitely test ride as much as you can. Try to get on some dirt or at least a decent climb. Go with what feels best, just say no to garage queens!
    cannondale flash 29er
    rocky mountain etsx-30 (retired)
    trek madone