Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 29'er 3 thoughts?

This is for a buddy.

He's looking to pick up a 29er. His budget is around $1500. I went with him to two LBS yesterday to see what they had left in 2012 models. He's looking to pickup a deal as the new 2013 models are starting to arrive.

So the first shop didn't have anything in his price range, they said theyd help him with a deal on a 2013 when they come in. This is the shop I got my bike from. Anyways they didnt have anything on hand.

Then we went to another shop down the road, they had a Giant XTC 1, They have it listed at $1749, and told him $1800 out the door. I know for a fact they do $1700 cash, as I almost bought it at that price weeks ago.

He loved the XTC, but its out of his preferred price range.

Now I just got a call from one of the guys at the shop I got my bike at, he checked out his other location and found the 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 29'er 3. I've never really looked at any Cannondales before so aside from me knowing they are a good brand thats been around for awhile I know nothing else.

Does anyone have any opinions about this particular bike, I took a look at the components and it seems like a nice entry level bike, brakes are a bit low end, and the other components are I think a bit less then the XTC, but you pay for what you get really, thats my motto.

Any owners of this bike out there wanna chime in with there thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Can I hijack this thread to ask a similar question!! sorry bigGK. I'm a noob and cant start a thread.

I'm considering purchasing a new 2012 Flash2 29er Alloy at a decent price, over 30% off 'LIST' compared to a 2013 F2.

Is it worth holding out for the 2013 to come down in price or secondhand? I gather the 2012 and 2013 frames are the same.
    Are the 2013 new Lefty forks significantly better?
    Are the Sun Ringle rims , hubs etc etc on the 2102 any good? Are the different spec wheels on the 2013 significantly better etc?
    Any other differences, are the weights of the 12 and 13 models virtually the same?
    Are the poor grips and over wide handlebar issues, and poor seat, as some have complained of on the 12 , better on the 13?

nb. I 'm looking to do Long dist non technical XC races eg 100 mile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a 2012 Flash 2 Alloy (medium) and love it. Mine weighs just over 24lbs. set up tubeless with carbon bars. I also have no complaints about the seat, at least not yet...
    The 2012 XTC 1 (Alloy) is also a great bike that I could have had for the same price, however it is a touch heavier than the Flash (a couple of ounces) but it also has 10mm more travel...
    Fortunately my LBS deals Giant and Cannondale so I was lucky.
    My personal choice was the C-Dale, but either bike for less than $1,800.00 is still a good deal IMO

mtbr member
    I just bought the 2012 Giant XTC 1 I have 7 rides on it so far. I was looking at the Flash 3 also but the bike shop did not want to deal. I got the XTC for 20% off so no complaints on price. Im loving the thru axle. The bike climbs like a Mtn goat. The only thing that I have changed so far is the seat. I went with my old WTB silverado. My lap times have decreased substantially since upgrading from a Santa Cruz Superlight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had a 2010 flash alloy but I sold it to fund my satori. At any rate it was one of the smoothest riding alloy hardtails I've been on. I wouldn't compare it to a nice steel frame but the save chain stays cannondale is using plus the 29er wheels are pretty comfortable. I also had a lefty on mine and while the fork suspension was nice I had issues with bar height and getting the stem length dialed with all the lefty proprietary parts...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    cheers for replies so far? I might ask in the Cdale section too.