mtbr member
    May 2012

2012 Cannondale Flash 29er 1 ALLOY vs 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29

Hello all you knowledgeable people out there,

Can you tell me which one you would choose and why?

Specialized Bicycle Components : Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29

or

FLASH 29'ER 1

I am looking around the 2000GBP price point. I ride most weekends and some evenings on local trails, from single track to some pretty rough stuff but also plan to take the bike abroad to more adventurous places next summer.

I have test ridden both of these bikes and am well and truly stuck and just cannot decide between them. Before I started looking I had decided I wanted to move up to a carbon bike, hence the Stumpjumper, but the Flash 2 even though alloy is basically the same weight (with stock parts). The lefty fork is, to me, quite ugly, but I don't care about looks - I cannot stand the red on the Specialized either. So for me, both are ugly bikes, it's the performance I'm after and the Left fork truly is outstanding.

Damn this is a tough choice...hence my post...you guys and girls must have some advice?
    Last edited by rmcsharry; 05-10-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: added links to the bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Lefty is enough to favor the Flash.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    The Lefty is enough to favor the Flash.
    That's a fair point, but I cannot help thinking that if I bought the Stumpy I could upgrade the fork next year to the 2013 Lefty which - going by the rumours - will be quite a fork indeed.

I can't help wonder whether the Stumpy might just be a better buy over the longer term.

Surely there are some happy riders of both bikes that can add some opinion* here?

* or is that risking a flame/troll war?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I love the Lefty on Cannondale too. Works great but a Carbon bike is nice too. Whats the weight difference ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    buy the flash

mtbr member
    May 2012

Wink

The weight difference is negligible, about 300 grams, the Flash Alloy being heavier of course.

I've just returned from handing over the cash for the Flash Carbon 3 (tubeless) and can't wait till Wed when I sign the official adoption papers.

The LBS (vanherwerden.nl) also upgraded the BB30 bearings and seatpost (to SAVE carbon) for free, as well as knocking 100 euros off the price, so not a bad deal.

I could not give up the Lefty once I tried it out, knew I'd regret not getting a Carbon this time around, so I just had to dig deeper into my wallet! I guess that means beans on toast for the next month so don't get behind me on the trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcsharry View Post
    The weight difference is negligible, about 300 grams, the Flash Alloy being heavier of course.

I've just returned from handing over the cash for the Flash Carbon 3 (tubeless) and can't wait till Wed when I sign the official adoption papers.

The LBS (vanherwerden.nl) also upgraded the BB30 bearings and seatpost (to SAVE carbon) for free, as well as knocking 100 euros off the price, so not a bad deal.

I could not give up the Lefty once I tried it out, knew I'd regret not getting a Carbon this time around, so I just had to dig deeper into my wallet! I guess that means beans on toast for the next month so don't get behind me on the trails!
    Good for you. Ordered the same bike about 4 weeks ago. Still waiting for Cdale to ship it! Let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Smile

I have been on the bike every day since I picked it up and could not be happier. Once I start riding I don't want to stop, 200km already racked up when normally I'd do about 50 in that time!

I never knew what people meant when they said "this bike loves to climb" because I hate climbing...not any more, this bike really does love to climb, and now so do I ... and I never thought I would ever say that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sweet. That is what I was hoping to hear. Currently riding a giant trance x1 and love it for all mountain riding but it just doesn't have it in the xc department. Good bike just not responsive enough when a standing to hammer our getting out of the saddle.