mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Smile 2012 anthem x1 29r or 2011 camber elite 29r

Hey I know these are slightly different types of bikes . I ride all sorts of stuff but nothing too wild and am new to 29rs and full sus. Any coments and reccomendations will be greatly appreciated as quite frankly , I know very little about the subject. I will buy either the anthem or the camber so please help me make a choice.

mtbr member
    no contest anthem x1.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks , anyone else have any experience with either of these bikes ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    no contest Camber elite.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    my previous post was to illustrate the fact that you will hear from both camps about which one is better. I like the Giant, its a very nice riding bike. I own a Camber and think that it too is a very nice riding bike. You really can't go wrong with either bike. Ride them both and see which one "feels" better to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks , I have ridden both , I think the Giant feels lighter and faster. But Im no expert and there are surely other considerations like durability , handling etc. Thanks for your comment .

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Both are great. Both are made by the biggest two bicycle manufacturers in the world so durability should not be a concern (and if it is you will have a warrenty to sort you out). The Anthem is designed as a more racy bike, but is an awesome trail bike as well. The Camber is more of a all around trail bike that you could race in an XC race if you wanted to. You can't go wrong. Pick the one in the colour that brings out your eyes the best

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That would be red.

mtbr member
    I was going to buy my girlfriend a 2011 Camber Elite. I test rode it and it felt like a tank (no disrespect to the Camber) compared to my 2011 FSR stumpy 29 comp. In the end, I spent the extra $1000 to get her the Stumpy. It was worth it. The Athem has way better suspension, way better components. Those two bikes aren't even in the same ball park. You'll spend twice the money to upgrade the Comber eilite to get to the Athem x1. Happy tails bro.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member

but does it fit?

I agree with the posts above, but make sure the Anthem fits, as it is noticeably longer in the top tube, has a longer headtube (leads to higher bars), and iirc it also has a higher standover than the Camber. These dimension differences will make fitting a shorter rider more difficult relative to the Camber.

(The Anthem also has longer chainstays and steeper headangle, which will impact the ride of the bike).

My 5'2" wife rides a Camber Elite 2011, but we bought it on clearance ($1400), immediately sold everything except the shock and brakes, and swapped over wheels, fork, cockpit, drivetrain, etc. from another ride.

It weighs a little over 26 pounds, and she loves it.

Edit: Sorry, after reading the previous post I got confused and thought the OP was asking for a girlfriend. Obviously, OP, if you are not short what I wrote is irrelevant.
    Last edited by antonio; 02-08-2012 at 06:19 AM.