mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2012-2013 Marin Nail Trail 29er REVIEWS

Yo.

So I'm in the market for a 29er hardtail, and ideally want to spend about $1300 ish. I'm currently riding a 2003 GT iDrive 2.0, which (with its V-brakes and ancient Rock Shox Psylo fork) is not ideal.

My LBS owner notified me that he could probably get me a 2013 Nail Trail for about $1300, which is well below it's $2k retail. And I'm also all about supporting my LBS.

My question is: Has anyone ridden one of these and can people speak to their ride quailty, etc.?

It's got pretty solid components and a sweet fox fork, but I've heard the geometry is kind of strange. I'm definitely interested in the bike, but need more info from riders. Specs below.

Thanks

Specs:

Model Name Nail Trail 29er
    Model Category Mountain HT
    Model Series 29er
    Model Number A13-269-1F
    Sizes USA 15 17 19 20.5 22
    Frame 6061 Aluminum 29er, Triple Butted Hydro-Edge II Top and Down Tubes, Double Butted E4 Anti-Flex Seat and Chain Stays
    Front Suspension Fox 32 Float Evolution CTD 29er, 100mm Travel, Tapered Steer Tube and 15QR Through Axle Dropouts with 3 Position Compression Damper Adjustment and Rebound Damping Adjustment
    Rear Suspension 0
    Shift Lever Shimano SLX, 2 Way Release, 10-Speed
    Derailleur Front Shimano SLX, 3x10
    Derailleur Rear Shimano XT Shadow Plus
    Brakes Front Formula RX Hydraulic Disc, 7 Rotor
    Brakes Rear Formula RX Hydraulic Disc, 6 Rotor
    Brake Levers Formula RX Hydraulic with Reach Adjust
    Pedals None
    Crankset Shimano M522, 42/32/24T
    Chain Cover #N/A
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Octalink Splined
    Chain Shimano HG74, 10-Speed
    Cassette Shimano DEORE, 11-36, 10 Speed
    Hub Rear Marin Cartridge Bearing, 32 Hole
    Hub Front Marin Sealed Bearings, 32 hole
    Rim Alex SX44
    Spokes Nipples 14 Gauge Black Stainless
    Tires Continental Race King, 29 x 2.2" with wire bead
    Saddle WTB Silverado Sport
    Seatpost Comp Alloy Micro Adjust, 2014 Alloy, 15mm Offset, 400mm
    Stem Marin OS Alloy Threadless, 31.8mm Bar Clamp
    Handlebar Double Butted 2014 Alloy, OS-31.8mm, 15mm Rise, 710mm wide (680mm for Size 15)
    Grips Ergon GA1 EVO
    Headset FSA Orbit 1.5B ZS, 1 1/8 Top, 1.5 Bottom

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I did check that review out, but I was hoping someone could provide some user feedback on the newer ('12 or '13) models. Thanks for the reply, though.

mtbr member
    I really like my 2011, I did change a few things to suit my needs. I did get it for a smoking deal, and perhaps thats why it rides so nicely.

Mountain Bike Action loved the earlier model

Test: Marin Nail Trail 29er | News | mountain-bike-action

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Thats a pretty good price I think for that bike. I was looking at a 2012 a couple months back and best price I found was $1800 CAD, I'd say component wise it looks pretty good. I never got to ride it tho so I cant really say if it felt good or not. It looked nice tho !!

banned
    Used to sell them and a friend of mine has one. Thought bang for the buck a really good buy, frame rides smooth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I rode a 2011 for a couple months last summer, and it wasn't a bad ride for a hardtail. Bang for the buck, I'd say $1300 would be worth buying that one. The one I rode was XT gruppo, not SLX but even then I think you'll be pleased with it. Pretty quick bike (quick turning radius, and fealt nimble), but I was coming off a full sus AM bike, so it wasn't too tough for it to feel faster.

mtbr member
    Any other reviews? I'm considering one of these but many don't seem to like the HT angle. Does it handle poorly?