mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm 2011 Trek X-Caliber v. 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er comp

I am about to buy a either an x-caliber or a stump 29er comp. I am not sure which one to get because I can pay cash for the x-caliber (which i kinda like more) at 1500 or pay part of 2000 for the stump and finance the rest.

The stump does have nice components, but if feel the geometry is not as efficient for somewhat agressive trail riding in the Bay Area. The bike seems to have kind of a steep top tube and head tube angle.

The x-caliber has excellent geometery, but the only concerns I have are about the frame cracking (ive heard the rumors) and the components are an sram x7 package rather than an x9 like the stump.....I am also not sure what to make of the wheels as they have deore hubs and bontragger rims....whereas the specialized has its own stock wheels.

I am also open to any suggestions you may have about a different bike.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been down this road already and bought the PARAGON. It should be near the price of the Stump 29 comp so I assume it's around your budget. The OEM SSR rims on the Excal weight a ton, and I think you have JUICY 3 brakes. You're right, the Excal looks nice and the Paragon does not attract anyones eye, but is a much more upscale bike for the 500 or so difference. The Fox fork is plush. As for the broken Gary Fisher frame "endless Discussion". This is a new frame for 2011 and Trek has 10 year warranty for original owner only. SO this should not be a problem.
    Regards.

mtbr member
    I thought the Fisher/Trek frame cracking was back in 07-08. I have an 09 X-Caliber frame (that I'm selling by the way) that never had one issue. Actually I haven't heard anything regarding the new frames.

mtbr member
    i can only speak for my trek FS frame but believe me at about 210-220 lbs on a 19 inch frame, and trust me, i practically try to crack this thing, it's ultra solid. i really feel like this whole trek/fisher frame cracking thing is in the past (except for the occasional carbon frame we see here and there) even just looking at the new frames they look super beefy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Can't speak for the StumpJumper but I have a 2007 XCal and its amazing. I've not had a single issue with the frame. Over the years I've replaced the entire drivetrain to be full X0 (with the exception of the stock FD and XT cassette) and upgraded the brakes to Elixer R (185F/160R). Its not G2 geometry like the newer ones, but in my experience that would only make it better (I also have a 2011 Hifi Pro). It's a great bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, I think after reading this and some other review the Stumpjumper is out of the running. Personally Im not a huge specialized fan to begin with, mostly because of the local stigma as its the BMW of bikes around here.
    @osorio- Im thinking a paragon does make sense over the x-cal.

Token Hillbilly
    I've been considering either a Paragon or X-Cal myself. For me, the tough part is trying to explain to the wife why I need another bike.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Trail Junkie
    I think it is a matter of preference in geometry, but the Stumpjumper is a very efficient bike.
    Not to mention there are component differences that make up the price difference:
    Tubeless-ready wheels DT-Swiss..much better than SSRs, Tires are very light and tubeless rady
    X-9 R. Rerailleur is better than X-9
    Elixir R brakes are better than Juicy 3s...quite a bit better!
    RLT fork is such an upgrade over the RL that you probably won't change the fork for as long as you own the bike.
    The grips are very good on it, they are very similar to Ergon GP-1s
    The Deore 10-speed Front derailleur will probably be the first thing you change out on the X-Cal, Specialized originally spec'd the bike with that F/D but found it problematic, and change to the X-7 in '10.
    The SRAM S-1250 is a bit better than the SRAM S-1000, but I would change out the rings and make it a 1x10 or 2x10 system w/ 38/24 like what is found on the SJ Comp Carbon 29. It is a bit more fitting for that bike.

For the $500 that you pay extra, you are most likely saving yourself double that later on when it comes to upgrades or repairs by buying the Specialized. The only upgrade I would do to the Specialized would be the Saddle unless the Phenom works for you, and put a slightly more aggressive front tire like The Captain. The Renegades are very fast light tires but they do wear pretty quickly.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was wondering if the Trek/GF Paragon is a closer comparison to the Stumpjumper Comp 29er as far as $ and components.

Trail Junkie
    Yes the Paragon is grouped closer to the SJ, but I feel the Specialized brings more value.

FYI. I honestly don't like trek,cannondale,giant,or specialized for mountain bikes, but from the perspective of buying a complete bike for value with a budget in mind, one would have to dissect the two determine the differences.

Personally, I would build the bike from the frame up, it would come out pretty close to the same price, but the only component that is hard to beat by complete bike value is the fork. There are deals to be had, but there isn't a lot of great deals on forks right now.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    If we're talking Paragon vs stumpjumper, I made that comparison several months ago. For me, in addition to ride quality (that's a personal thing) the tapered head tube, fox suspension, Shimano crank, proven tubeless wheel setup, larger, 185mm brake rotor up front and press fit bb on the Paragon made it pretty much a no brainer for me. About the only thing that seems better on the stumpy is elixer R vs elixer 5's on the Paragon, and that only means "tool free" reach adjustment. You can adjust the reach on the 5's and since for me that's a set it and forget it adjustment anyway, no biggie.

In the end, take a test ride and see what you like better.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Trail Junkie
    The comparison is the X-Cal and the SJ Comp 29 because of the price that is available to him.
    So handsdown, the SJ Comp 29 is a better bike, nearly every part is an upgrade.

As far as Fox RL vs Rockshox RLT..that is completely subjective. I would take the Rockshox RLT over the Fox RL any day, but that is based on my experience comparing 2009+ Rockshox and Fox forks. For you, it may be the complete opposite.
    In the end though, it is comparing the X-Cal to the SJ Comp 29

By the way, the DT-Swiss 420s and 2Bliss Renegades are a proven tubeless setup. They come ready to go with Roval Tubeless tape installed, and valves included, all that is needed is sealant.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    hmm...seemed to me the thread "steered" a bit toward paragon vs stumpjumper.

anyway, carry on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    The comparison is the X-Cal and the SJ Comp 29 because of the price that is available to him.
    The prices he is comparing is him paying $1500.00 in cash for the X-Cal or paying part in cash + financing the difference of the $2000.00 of the Stumpy. It seems to me the bikes for the top of his budget should be the Paragon and Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke
    hmm...seemed to me the thread "steered" a bit toward paragon vs stumpjumper.

anyway, carry on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks for the loads of info....I am going to buy the paragon tomorrow. After talking to some 29er purists and looking at the components I think the paragon is worth the xtra 500. In the end, I just dont like specialized. I might take a last ditch look at niner, but overall ive been pushed towards the paragon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Good choice with the Paragon! I bought one a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! It's my training bike for the most part, but is a more than worthy racer. I'm super impressed by every aspect of the bike, and it feels just as nimble as my Superfly (my race bike). Good luck on it and enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This has been my exact dilemmna as well, but I think I'm leaning Niner or XTC frame and building up to my liking. XTC has tapered head tube and 15mm T/A which when ridden made a huge difference; T/A probably more so than tapered tube.

Trail Junkie
    Should probably include the Salsa Mariachi in the list...and for the components and price, it blows both of them away...assuming he doesn't ride a medium.
    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...186&Prod=20271
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcervetto
    thanks for the loads of info....I am going to buy the paragon tomorrow. After talking to some 29er purists and looking at the components I think the paragon is worth the xtra 500. In the end, I just dont like specialized. I might take a last ditch look at niner, but overall ive been pushed towards the paragon.
    Ride them to be sure, but I love my Paragon!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Check stem angle

Quote Originally Posted by jwcervetto
    The stump does have nice components, but if feel the geometry is not as efficient for somewhat agressive trail riding in the Bay Area. The bike seems to have kind of a steep top tube and head tube angle.
    I recently test rode a Stumpjumper Comp 29. Size L, was always riding L for Specialized. Was very unsatisfied at first, front was rising uphill much too early despite 29er. Just reversed the stem to negative angle (this one has multiple angles available). Wow! Completely different bike!

Ended up buying an Epic 29er, though.

mtbr member
    buy the xcal because that's what you can afford (debt isn't a good thing)- you even said you kinda like it more and the geo is better. don't worry about cracking frames.

enjoy!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Juicy 3’s on 2011 X-Cal

Just picked up a 2011 and I noticed that the brake levers for the front and rear brakes are completely different levers. They both say “Juicy 3”, but upon closer examination you can see they are different levers with different adjustments. I have been combing the internet and can’t find any info on whey they would be different. Not sure why it is bugging me, but it is. Can somebody tell me if this is standard so I can stop worrying about it? I tried to post this as a new thread, but the site wouldn’t let me since I didn’t have 5 posts. So sorry to have to put this question on your thread, but it seemed like the most plausible place that it would actually let me post the question. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

…and by the way

Buy the bike if you haven’t already. I know this an old post, but I picked up a 2011 for a grand and it’s a smoking bike for the money even if you had to pay a couple hundred bucks more for it.