Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Is 2011 too old?

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2011 Trek X-Cal for $1100 at my LBS. Just needs pedals (I am thinking maybe blue platforms to spice it up a bit). But now I am seeing all the 2013 models coming out, and some of them look pretty sweet, like the Giant XTC 2 ($1475), the Rockhopper Pro 29er ($1300), and I still haven't seen the new Cannondales.

Is there anything better about the 2013 components or frames than the ones from way back in 2011? Or is it just a matter of paint jobs, and I should grab this X-Cal?

MTB B'dos
    I don't think that's too old, not sure on the price, but would expect you'd get a fairly sweet deal on old stock. Still, if you're looking at the newer stuff and liking it you have to remember that you have to look at the bike every time you go to ride, so if you're not 100% pleased with it for some reason it'll tarnish your riding experience - get whatever you like, you only live once and MTBing is good for your physical and mental health
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with a 2011 bike. In fact some of them are spec'd better than comparable 2012 and 2013 bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    Nothing wrong with a 2011 bike. In fact some of them are spec'd better than comparable 2012 and 2013 bikes.
    read my mind.

Your Best Friend
    I would recommend you don't shoot it though. Buy it instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If it was a fun bike to ride in 2011, it'll be a fun bike to ride in 2013.

Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just bought a 2011 two weeks ago, I don't regret it because I love the bike (Santa Cruz Nickel)

@trailgrinder
    I have bought plenty of last year models but I would be lying if I didn't say I always had my eye on the new shiny bike. If it is components are nicer do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    check out the component set vs the newer versions of the bike sometimes the older bike is better spec'd I just bought a 2012 Marin and the '13 version of the same bike comes with lesser components in several areas for the same msrp. Also consider if their discount is enough vs a '12 or '13 to make it worth it. My friend just got a great deal on a '12 Kahuna and couldn't be happier with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good responses. To the OP, look at the spec list for the 2011, then compare the newer bikes. In most cases, the components seem to get downgraded each year. Make sure you are getting a good fork, and wheels. The big ticket items are more important since they are the most money to upgrade. And dont get caught up in the 'latest and greatest' ********-lol
    Some of the best riders I know ride older bikes that they are comfortable on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's a lot of money (or not) but once you spend it your choosing is complete, or at least done. It's also a complex decision with lots of evaluations of unknowns or so far undiscovered characteristics in play. Plus you think it's time sensitive with an option which may evaporate. And there is a right choice, somewhere. You want the best value for your money. The better components are out there SLX or XT brakes are on 2k+ bikes. SLX and XT clutch rear derailleurs also. x9+ derailleurs are clutch too. A few pretty expensive models include those. A good light wheelset doesn't even show up on some 4k bikes. You can add the derailleur for 75 and brakes for 170.

Frame progress. That you may be able to get. Carbon HT frames from Scott have set a standard of short chainstays, slack HT angles and seatstays with vertical compliance engineered in. Now that is trickling down to some aluminum models below. The geo is already there for a few.. The last thing to show up is vertical compliance in the seatstays.
    Cannondale has seatstay compliance in the Flash 28er series. They say--
    The SPEED SAVE rear stays form a ride-tuned micro suspension system that is engineered not simply to add comfort but to help the bike roll faster. But they don't have the geo.
    Trek X-Cal has almost identical geo to Scott, but no seatstay compliance. But Scott hasn't got full compliance in their aluminum frames yet either, just bridge-less seatstays.
    Specialized Carve has-- "bridge-less seatstays for compliance over bumps" but no slack geo.
    Giant XTC doesn't have slack geo or compliant seatstays.
    Does anyone have both yet? Canyon in Germany just came out with their first 29er this year. They are direct sale and not yet available for shipment to the US Their Grand Canyon 29 AL has short chainstays, slack HT angle and a steep ST angle and seatstays engineered for vertical compliance.
    VCLS Stays
    Vertical Comfort Lateral Stiffness - this is the goal in the development of our hardtail frames. The special design of the seat tube, seat stays and top tube, in combination with a size-dependent seatpost diameter allows a significant comfort increase while maintaining high lateral stiffness.
    Their 7.9 is about 1200 and you have to have a friend send it to you.
    Anyone else?

mtbr member
    I was happy to find out (a couple of guys from MTBF) that my Rockhopper Comp 29 was a 2011 and not a 2012 (as I originally thought). Turns out the M4 aluminum compound (which I guess is lighter/stronger) was replaced with their A1 compound on their 2012 models.

I'd say compare the specs between 2011 and 2012 2013 very carefully thaen decide. See if they'll go deeper on the discount for last years model?

Hank

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I would recommend you don't shoot it though. Buy it instead.
    I see what you did there!!

@OP--2011 is not that old. But, it is old enough to be getting a substantial discount. That model is about is two years old now, so I would think the lbs will be pretty eager to get rid of it.

But, if the price isn't a great deal, you may want to consider a comparable 2013. You may pay a bit more, but if you want to resell it in the near future, it is much easier to sell a current model bike than a two year old model.

I would almost always buy the heavily discounted old stock though.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Single Speed Junkie
    For new old stock most shops just want it gone as it takes up valuable floor space. Finding a buyer for a bike is a bit more difficult for the as the bike needs to fit the rider. If the bike fits offer them $1000 as they still need to make some on the deal. Then ride and be happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    as the 2013's are making their way to the sales floors, 2011's should carry a nice discount.

usually cranky
    i hope not, i ride a 2010.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I went into a LBS near my work last week as I saw that they had 2011 X-cal's still in stock. Their "sale price" on it was $1450....what a bargain. Unfortunately, they didnt have one in my size so I couldnt play with them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well I got the 2011 x-cal for $1100. Couldn't get them down to $1000. They threw in a bottle cage and bottle, and give 2 yrs free maintenance. I had to buy my own pedals- got the Crankbrothers 5050 XX on Amazon for like $54- not the best maybe but they actually look really cool since the black part matches the black cranks and then the silver tips add a little bling factor.
    I almost went with the new Cannondales at a different shop which offers lifetime maintenance, but for $1330 I would have gotten X5/X5/X5, with an inferior shock. Didn't make sense.

Going for my 1st ride later today- gonna keep it easy (Nyack, NY).

I kinda hate having a new bike. I keep getting upset when I find any little smudge of dirt on it. With my old bike I didn't give a crap, which was liberating.

mtbr member
    I think you'll enjoy the X-Cal, and not a bad price either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One of my bikes is from 1999, and it's still a really sweet bike...even nicer than my 2011 Hardrock Disc in a lot of ways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not at all

mtbr member
    Too old - 2011??

Dude, I'm still rocking out on this bike....I forget the exact age of the bike, but I'm guessing about 2005-2006.

mtbr member
    If I could find a 2011 Superfly100 in my size I would buy it at that moment, even if a 2012 or a 2013 was available.

mtbr member
    I've been trying to find a leftover 2011 Mamba, Cobia or X-cal with no luck. Ride it and enjoy it!

turtles make me hot
    Damn... My 2009 is gonna be in the Smithsonian soon.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast