Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i get a new bike every other month or so.....not.

mtbr member
    As long as they offer a big discount, it's definitely worth considering. Lol one of my lbs' has a 2+ year old carbon remedy, custom build. It's a great bike and I was considering it last year but my criticism with the build was it was running quick releases even though the thru axle kit was available, it had the steeper HA and no guide mounts. The new off the shelf model was similar $$ with a better spec and geometry, so no sale. Over a year later and the bike is [I]still[/I ]there, different build kit (with thru axles), and the price is still the same

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    i just bought a 2011 giant xtc 1 29r 2 weeks ago,better spec than 2012 one and better looking imo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Damn... My 2009 is gonna be in the Smithsonian soon.
    Right next to my "new" 2008 Gary Fisher Procaliber.

Seriously, though. I bought this as a frame/rearshock and built it up shopping on Ebay, and the local HMBA site classifieds.
    I ended up with about $1000 into it. Looking back, I couldv'e bought a nice newer bike for the same price, but it wouldv'e had lesser components on it, plus I enjoy tinkering, and feel like I know this bike inside and out since I built it up.
    You got a deal on that bike. Enjoy it!

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydad View Post
    ...from way back in 2011?
    "WAY back" in 2011??? Really? Tell the shop it's a 2 year old model,expect a bigger discount BECAUSE it's a 2 year old leftover (that they want rid of more than they'll let on),buy the dang thing and ride the wheels off it
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The '11 has Juicy 3 brakes, '12 Elixir 1, both have dual air Reba RL forks. I think the 11 has a X7 front derraileur and the 12 has a Deore.
    The 13 X-Cal has a solo air Reba, and costs 1699 MSRP.
    That's a strong price for the 11 at 1100 bucks...ask the lbs if they will take 1100 out the door and throw in some decent pedals.
    I really enjoyed my 12 X-Cal the 4 months I had it (have since built an Air 9), just make sure the hubs are put together properly ..the Deore M525 that come with the Mustang 29 aka Race Lite use a cone/bearing setup-- I never had a problem with mine, but its definitely worth your time to make sure nothing is loose. The Bontrager TLR system is fantastic if you go tubeless...just needs the Bonty Rim strips, some sealant and Bonty valves (Stan's valves won't cut it..) it's well worth the small additional expense.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydad View Post
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 2011 Trek X-Cal for $1100 at my LBS. Just needs pedals (I am thinking maybe blue platforms to spice it up a bit). But now I am seeing all the 2013 models coming out, and some of them look pretty sweet, like the Giant XTC 2 ($1475), the Rockhopper Pro 29er ($1300), and I still haven't seen the new Cannondales.

Is there anything better about the 2013 components or frames than the ones from way back in 2011? Or is it just a matter of paint jobs, and I should grab this X-Cal?
    The big product shift right now is coming in 10 speed components. A 2 year old model is likely to have 9 speed components where the newer bike is more likely to have 10.

I personally have no preference, but there is a price difference and you should compare the price of the 2011 model to similarly equipped 2013 models ... and then knock a % off of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    any 2001/12 Anteem X 2 in a large out there??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi View Post
    The big product shift right now is coming in 10 speed components. A 2 year old model is likely to have 9 speed components where the newer bike is more likely to have 10.

I personally have no preference, but there is a price difference and you should compare the price of the 2011 model to similarly equipped 2013 models ... and then knock a % off of it.
    The 2011 was 10speed.

If its new at the shop, they will have a very hard time going below the $1100 price.

That being said, there is very little difference between 2011,12 and 13 other than paint.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just took my old 1999 Spec' FSR Comp out on the trails yesterday and it was awesome!!! I really enjoy that bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan View Post
    Too old - 2011??

Dude, I'm still rocking out on this bike....I forget the exact age of the bike, but I'm guessing about 2005-2006.
    Purdy.
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp | '12 Trek Superfly 100 AL | '11 Ridley X-BOW

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Technology always changes, but this year's "latest and greatest" will be next year's bargain. Solid designs will last for years and there is often no reason to go for the newest stuff unless it offers a SIGNIFICANT performance boast. Negotiate the best price you can and enjoy….

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Don't know if this is going to help if you already bought your bike but, I think 2011 is still relatively new. I just purchased a 2012 GT and received it yesterday. The main differences between newer and older models are usually components.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2