mtbr member
    May 2013

2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert vs 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

I'm about to purchase my first mountain bike for trail riding in south orange county. A local bike shop is selling a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert for a pretty good price as it was their demo bike. I've taken it out a few times and really enjoyed it. I especially like the "brain" for the rear shock. I could get a brand new 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp for the same price. Not sure what to do here. Both are 29ers. Here is a component comparison.

2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er vs 2013 Specialized StumpJumper FSR...

The shop is giving me a really good deal on a dropper post if I go with the 2011. The Demo bike for sale does not have the Shimano front derailleur listed here but the SRAM X7 instead.

EDIT: 2011's rear derailleur and crankset (carbon), also seem to be considerable upgrades over the 2013.

I'm definitely a noob, but it seems like the biggest difference is the brain for the rear shock, the brakes and the frame.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Looks interesting

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Both nice setups, I too live in OC and ride the 13 SJ FSR Comp.

The only issue I'd have with the used are the forks, if they've been serviced by the LBS then you can't go too wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Aye. It's been a demo bike for a good while now. It does get serviced every time someone brings it back though. I think the Brain and the bigger wheels really help me climb compared to the 26" Ibis Mojo I ride with people at work. I sometimes miss the smaller wheels for downhill stuff though :-P.

Jeff has been really helpful. He actually said he'd go for the 2013. His reasoning was that he goes through parts pretty quickly so he leans towards cheaper components.

mtbr member
    He is a madman on a bike. You won't destroy stuff as quickly as he does.

mtbr member
    The Path is clearing all 2012 models... probably worth a visit before you buy.

mtbr member
    If they are giving you a full warranty on the FSR Expert then go with whatever bike YOU like best. I have a 2013 FSR Comp 29er with no complaints...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    PM sent.

Also, the Brain needs to be serviced annually even if it is not being used. After being serviced, the warranty is only good for 90 days which means you would have to pay about $125 for it to get repaired (annual service) and wait about 5 weeks for everything to get done. The shock just went bad out of warranty for the second time and that is why I know this stuff.

The fork is not proprietary like the rear shock, but it also of course should get checked out since it is a two year old demo.

Forgot to mention that many, like myself, had to replace 11' Avid brakes with Shimano due to a plethora of issues.

Good luck again!

mtbr member
    The 2013 frame has 142x12 rear. The 2011 is only std 135x10mm. This makes a big difference on the stiffness of the frame. The 2013 also has ISCG tabs. imo the 2013 frame is better.

Also, the stock wheels on the 2011 Expert were dreadful; renowned for spoke breakage at the nipples. Are the wheels stock on the one you are being offered? The Rovals on the 2013 are better.

I like the Brain on the rear, but as already mentioned it can be an expensive proposition if it fails.

The 2011 expert came stock with a silly long stem and narrow bars. The 2013 comp stock as wider bars and a shorter stem which suits the bike better. So between the wheels and the cockpit, it may well be that you'd need to change less on the 2013 comp.

I have the 2011 Expert, and it is an OK bike, but if I had the choice that you have today, I'd go for the 2013 comp and upgrade components as needed...eg maybe a stiffer fork. My only concern would be that pos PF BB on the 2013.

You could wait a couple of months and see if you can get a 2013 in the sales.... :-)

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Buy the 2013. You can always upgrade the bike, so it may be worth it to buy a brand new frame.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    @jgutz71: the 2011 is under full Specialized warranty
    @Chato Fan Club: I'm pretty sure the wheels are stock. I haven't noticed any spoke damage and it's been around as a demo for a while now.

Thanks for all the input! I ended up going with the 2011. I just liked the way it felt more, I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the Brain. I have really short stem on it since I'm on the short side of a medium frame and it feels great.

I would have loved to upgrade a better frame, but honestly I just wanted something I liked from the get go to ride around and not have to bother with upgrades. I don't really have much more to spend on upgrades right now so what I get is what I'll have for a loooong time. I'm working here on a contract and I might have to move again by the end of the year. I know everything on the bike has been maintained and the air pressure for the shocks was adjusted for my weight when I bought it. The Brain maintenance sounds a bit obnoxious indeed, but I don't plan on riding much in the winter, so that may be a good time for it.

Basically, the shop was willing to make a lot of accommodations for me. They gave me a shorter stem for no charge, and they're selling me a brand new KS Lev at a huuuge discount.

I just replaced the stock flat 680mm handlebars with an Easton Haven bar which is 711mm long and has 20mm of rise on a 40mm Stem. Feels perfect to me.
    Last edited by IronCOOKARU; 06-23-2013 at 05:27 PM.