mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2011 Kona Big Kahuna versus 2012 Kona Big Kahuna

I was looking to purchase at a 2012 Kona Big Kahuna for about $2200. While doing my research, I found a 2011 with an upgraded Qr20 Reba fork for about $600 less... My question to the community is this: Which is better value? The 2012 for $2200 or the 2011 at $1650? I really like the fact that the 2012 is a 2x10, but maybe I could convert the 2011?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Here's a picture of the 2011

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Through Axle

The 2012 has a thru-axle on the front and back. I'm a large rider, 6'3" 260, so that could be an added benefit.

Stoked for summer!

Value

The main differences (front fork aside since the 2011 has been upgraded to a reba) are:

Scandium/alloy frame on the 2012 vs 7005 aluminum on 2011 (slightly lighter but will soften over the years and be more compliant/less stiff)

New avid rotors (HS1's are an upgrade over Cleansweeps)

If I were you I'd get the 2011 and put new wheels on it with the money you saved. A stans crest 29er or Arch EX 29er wheelset (depending on your weight/terrain you ride) would drop a few pounds off that bike and make tubeless flawless.

By the way good choice, rode the 2011 Kona unit last year built up 1x10 with a reba and have a 2012 Kona Satori on it's way this week. They're 29er geometry is top notch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What do you think it'd cost to convert to a 1x10? Also, you don't think the thru-axle makes a difference versus the QR20?

Stoked for summer!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyczerwonka View Post
    What do you think it'd cost to convert to a 1x10? Also, you don't think the thru-axle makes a difference versus the QR20?
    On paper it does. I have no idea. I'll be able to chime in when my Kona Satori with a 12x142 rear comes this week. I only make judgements like that when I personally have findings. I have seen a report somewhere stating that QR is just as stiff as a thru-axle but that was just some magazine stating that. I believe it was german.

I wouldn't get caught up in the thru vs QR debate. If your bike has a thru-axle then great. If not, you don't NEED it. It won't make you a better rider.

As far as going 1x10, I'd be more inclined to run 2x10 until your chainrings are worn. The reason I say this is mostly because Sram has a new chainring coming out next year that is designed to be used as a 1x setup without a chain tensioner. It has VERY tall teeth so the chain won't drop. So all you would need is the new chainring and a new rear derailleur (short cage) and shorten the chain

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just wondering on axle since I'm 6'3" 260lbs. In terms of 2x10, that'd be fine. Is that an easier conversion with the current setup?
    Last edited by andyczerwonka; 06-25-2012 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Turns out the 2011 does have a 15mm thru-axle. I think the 2011 is the right buy. I will go ride it this Friday (it's three hours away) and see if it fits he as well as the 2012. The fork is a Reba RLT - I haven't tried that one before so I'm not sure how it performs related to the standard fork on the 2012 version.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum.minimum View Post
    As far as going 1x10, I'd be more inclined to run 2x10 until your chainrings are worn. The reason I say this is mostly because Sram has a new chainring coming out next year that is designed to be used as a 1x setup without a chain tensioner. It has VERY tall teeth so the chain won't drop. So all you would need is the new chainring and a new rear derailleur (short cage) and shorten the chain
    I'll ride the 3x10 this year and maybe upgrade next year. I think the 2011 will suite me just fine.