mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2011 Jamis Exile 1 29er

I'm looking to get into MTB a bit more with singletrack and XC and am currently looking for a new bike. I mainly want to start to get more aggressive with biking to lose weight and to have some fun, so no racing or the like.. (At least for now haha).

I am looking to spend <$600 and have come across a 2011 Jamis Exile 1 for $450, does anyone have any experience with this bike? I have been searching high and low and know that there have been a few reviews but nothing concrete. Also, I haven't been able to tell if $450 is a good price point either.

If anyone has ridden one or has any advice about the bike, I'd be happy to learn and listen about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Suntour fork is not designed for aggressive trail riding. It works on dirt bike paths, but without adjustable rebound damping multiple bumps and speed will overwhelm it. It will pogo.
    Bluesky cycles has forks at 150 as an upgrade. A reba would be better and drop 2lbs.
    .BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork
    The bike is also heavy at 32.25lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for the info. Do you think it would be a waste then? I could just get an Airborne Guardian(Or similar) for $600 and skip the upgrade for the time being and be about the same price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Airborne is a customer oriented group. The Guardian is a good bike with a good fork as long as you are under 175 or so. The 28mm stanchions can be a little flexy if you are on the heavy side. The 32mm version on the Trek Mamba is good for heavier riders. Of course their is no problem with the dual air Reba on the Goblin. Airborne offers good after purchase personal access and care.