Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 vs. 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...?

16K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  jpstandish 
#1 ·
Hey 29ers, looking for a little help here with a big decision.

I currently ride an '09 Giant Trance X3 (26er) and I absolutely love it, although I am 100-percent ready to make the jump into a 29-inch wheel bike. Last weekend on a 3-day Fat Tire Festival, I rented a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 and immediately felt right at home on the bike. It was fast, rode excellent and kept me closer to my fast buddies all weekend.

I ride in central Florida so most of my riding is over roots, in between tight trees, little drops with big roots and quick 2-story climbs followed by equal sized drops. I prefer a "composed' bike as opposed to something that is "flickable and light in the rear"... I am a decent technical rider but could use some additional endurance and strength, which I feel the 29er gives me (cheating, lol).

So, I like the Anthem but my LBS also has a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp FSR and they are gently pushing me towards it. On looks alone, I am sold but during my test ride I noticed the Stumpy felt a little "larger" and more "school bus like" compared to the Anthem. The handle bar was really wide, maybe that was the issue?

Anyway, at 2500 for the 2011 Anthem 29er X 2 vs. 3000 for the stumpy, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
you rode the anthem feels right and it is cheaperr, your ridinging doesnt seem like you need (maybe you want?) the extra travel seems decsion is made. I am biased though towards the Anthem.

#3 ·
I too rode the 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp, in a parking lot and small field by the LBS. I would agree it does feel a little big and slightly clumsy compared to my current ride. Yes IMO the bars are too wide which is changeable. But it is a 130 travel bike with a 69 degree HTA, and a long wheelbase (47.4 in the XL size), so I don't think it's possible for it to have a tight racy feel. I played with the fork and shock settings to tighten them up and that helped some. I bet the 69 HTA and long wheelbase would be great for stability on hairy decents though. Sounds like it might be more suspension than you really need. I'm in a similar boat, but have not ruled it out at this time. I think it would be a sweet bike over the rough stuff.

#5 ·
I have now made two long rides with my 2011 AX 2 29er. It flicks around like a 26er with the stability of a 29er on downhill singletrack and in General. I won't place the value of a bit more travel over this bike's handling. I know a trek dealer who is thinking about bringing the Giant line-up into his shop to differentiate himself from the massive Specialized and Trek sales world, and because Giant has such a good offering across the board. Anthem for me.

#6 ·
Yes, I paid $1,999 about 2 weeks ago for a 2011 Anthem X2. Here's a link to that thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/did-anyone-else-see-great-deal-748656.html and another one that has pictures with ride impressions: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/new-giant-anthem-x2-=-new-passion-750938.html.

Based on these, you probably won't have a hard time guessing which I'd reccomend for you! ;) Seriously, the X2 would be an amazing bike for your riding in FL. I'm using mine as my go to bike for all my riding (even the the shuttle runs - downhill rides with my sons) here in AZ.

#9 ·
Stumpjumper and Anthem is more of an apples to oranges comparison. Two different bikes IMHO. The Camber is a closer competitor to the Anthem. Figure which out which type is for you and then compare apples to apples.

The Stumpy is fairly long legged and kind of overkill for average XC work.

#10 ·
Giant! I've been riding my Anthem X 29 since late summer here in the mountains of Utah (plus a little Moab and Fruita action!) and I'm totally loving it. It's light, climbs well and is a stable descender.

Plus Giant has the better warranty. On full suspension bikes Specialized considers the chainstays, seatstays and links to be part of the suspension (not the frame) and only covers them for one year. I had a chainstay snap on a Specialized after a little over one year and they wouldn't cover it.

#12 ·
congrats on the new bike. I was looking at both these bikes as well. The Stumpy at 130mm is more than you would need. The Anthem is racey and nimble for a 29er. I bought the Stumpy because I got a better deal on it, and it came with I9 wheels. I am happy with the Stumpy FSR expert for the type of back country riding over large drops and super chuncky down hills that I am doing.

#13 ·
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2. I have read some really postitive reviews, but I am really concerned about the recall. Has anyone out there had there anthem crack? I am also looking at a 2011 Rumblefish 2 and finally a Moots Smoothie FS 26. Thanks for your feedback

#14 ·
Congrats JustinBeer, I have a 2011 Anthem X29er 3 that I have upgraded to full XT ,Carbon bars and gone tubeless. I've ridden this bike at Alafia, Carter Rd, Graham Swamp and Mala Compra ( all FL trails), all of which have some short climbing and drops, technical stuff and even some great jumps......This thing is a GREAT handling bike.

I really disliked the bars, and upgraded after about 6 months of riding the giant bars. FSA K force Carbon riser bars are what I went with and they are great on my bike.

As for the question about cracking frames, for the most part that entire recall issue was taken care of quite a while ago. Mine has taken quite a beating and just keeps on going.

#20 ·
I have a 2011 AX 29er 2. Great bike. Perfect for rooty, hilly x-country. No problems with bike after 2seasons. Just upgraded the wheels to Arch EX , but the stock wheels (P-XC 2) are not bad and go tubeless quite well.

A 2012 AX 29er 0 or 1 would be a great bike to find right now at a year-end discount.

The recall was prior to the full release of the 2011 and is not an issue.

#24 ·
I've been a 26" MTB guy for 27 years, but recently demoed both the new 2013 Trance X0 and X3 29ers. I have to admit I really do like the 29" wheels, and the scrunched-in design of the new Trance 29ers makes it feel a lot like a 26", handling-wise. I was quickly spoiled by the trick components on the XO, and riding the X3 afterward was a seriously disappointing downgrade. But $4,200 for the XO is a little pricey, IMO.

The other main issue for me is the current trend to lose the big chainring. (I know I know. Single-speeders would be scoffing at my whining.) Truth is I rarely even use the small chainring, but there are trails here in Colorado and Moab that really do sometimes call for that extra low granny gear. Even with a 10-speed rear cassette, the granny gear on the 2x10 Trance takes you further per pedal revolution than gear 2 on my 3x9 Trance ('09 and '11).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.