mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2011 Gary Fisher Paragon cracking @ seatpost

I know the previous generation Paragons had issues of cracking around the seat post, I know, I had one replaced under warranty with a 2011 Paragon that has the new frame design. I figured that they were able to sort out the cracking issues with the new design.

Looking over my bike today I found cracks around the seat tube again but this time it is cracking at the rear of the seat tube. The cracks spread around he seat tube at the top where the relief slots have been cut into the frame. There are three relief slots cut into the frame and the crack is spreading to the other two relief cuts

This frame is also the same frame as the Super Fly AL. Just wondering if any others have experienced this on the new design?

mtbr member
    Can you take a picture? I have one of these too, and it has been solid. I broke a couple of the older ones in pretty short order though. I haven't heard of these ones having a problem but there will probably always be a few that crack for whatever reason.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

banned
    Apr 2009
    Pics?--or it didn't happen??

--that is what they say here (but I had a G1 Paragon crack so it is interesting to see the 2011 frame crack)----I now have a 2012 (but seems very sturdy now)---

mtbr member
    After seeing this I was a little paranoid so with magnifying glass in hand, I looked mine over pretty good all around the seat tube top tube junction. Mine is in the clear so far, I've got a couple thousand miles on it at least including multiple trips to Moab, Vegas, Fruita, etc...places that are rather chunky. And I'm fairly chunky myself. LIke I say, I broke a couple of the older ones in only a few hundred miles, but this one seems solid. I'd just chalk it up to a rare break and enjoy the new frame!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Here is a pic from my iPhone. You can see the cracks starting at the relief cut and spreading to the front of the seat post. The cracks are approx. 1/4" long but I would think that they will only get worse. BTW, I mount my seat post collar backwards so you are looking at the back of the seattube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by halfnhalf View Post

This frame is also the same frame as the Super Fly AL. Just wondering if any others have experienced this on the new design?
    Trek gave me a 2012 Superfly Al Elite to replace my 2010 Paragon that cracked at the usual spot. It is a completely different frame.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A1an, the frame in the picture is a 2011 Paragon which is the new frame design. Your 2012 Superfly Al is the replacement for the Paragon since the Paragon is no longer being produced.

The old design that they were having so many problems with the frame cracking were up to 2010. They redesigned the seat tube/seat stay/top tube junction for 2011 which I have. There have been no other frame changes since 2011, only color changes and renaming

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pic. That sucks it cracked though.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Man, from what I have seen (2 post here) they both cracked in the same place. I have a new 2012 I got last Spring (for my old G1 Paragon cracking BIG TIME) in the usual place. I was just glad I saw it (because I would have had REAL problems if it broke while I was riding.)

But I love TREK and love my new warranty (so Glad I have it if that happens)--BUT SUCKS when it does!! And like I posted in the other thread I would have though that would have been a design in the seatpost so it would not crack there?

noob
    knock on wood mine has been going strong for 2 years. do you have enough seatpost inserted?
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have plenty of seat post inside the frame. Took it by the shop today and they are taking care of the warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    One of my friends had this problem with this bike. He found out that it was something in the frame because he took the post and saddle out and put it on another bike and was silent. It's the frame and your going to have to deal unless you get a new frame.
    Typo, it's supposed to be Trevor4
    By B

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quick update, the lbs took great care of me. Trek replaced my Paragon with a 2012 Superfly Al Elite. I was only out a bike for a week. Lets hope the crack on my previous frame was a fluke.

Last edited by halfnhalf; 02-04-2013 at 09:55 AM.