mtbr member
    Feb 2010

2011 gary fisher cobia vs giant xtc 29er 2

i know there has been threads about these two bikes but they all compare the 2010 cobia. The 2011 has x7 rear deraileaur and 100mm rs recon fork. Im a little worried about the promax hydraulic brakes, i may just use my bb7's. Does anybody know which fork is better, recon or the marz. Also, do u guys think the gf has the edge since it has g2 geo, would the giant be noticebly slowler in turning. Where i live it can get pretty technical and tight. O and im getting this next season because im already growing out of my bike, i only way 130 now so the 15mm qr on the marz wouldnt really be that much stiffer.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Recon is nicer and iirc lighter weight fork imo. The Giant felt like nice geo on my parking lot ride...but bike is heavy. Not sure about Cobia weight....bb5 brakes are inadequate for mtb imo. Which one feels better on your test ride?

Giant reviews:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/g...5_1548crx.aspx

Cobia reviews:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/g...3_1548crx.aspx

At your weight you prolly won't notice added stiffness of 15QR (depending on terrain too)....I notice it at 190 lbs...but both my bikes are still 9mm QR. Need more $$$.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yea thats what i thought. Really all im worried about is if the giant has as good if not better geo. And that the front fork is better than the recon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i went for gary fisher / trek because fisher has been making 29ers for a long time and has refined his geometry. for me, it is tried and tested and i like that.

on the downside, you can forget about ever upgrading the fork. it's hard to get 51 mm custom rake g2 forks. fox will sell you the f100 rl for $750 and i find that overpriced. i know rockshox will offer custom g2 through distributors (must be a PITA) but don't know the price.

so the g2 geometry is a pro & a con imo. i was initially interested in the cobia and after having the above considerations myself, decided to jump up to an x-caliber which comes with reba fork.

as for the pro-max brakes...i was concerned too...if you have an extra brake set laying around then do the swap and put the hornets on ebay for $100 and go for a deal next time. i bet that for recreational xc riding the promax will work very well. anything above that...i'm not sure. i don't have any experience with them but that's my hunch.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The marz also has a tapered steerer. Been a long time since I weighed 130, but the stiffness of the Giant 29er front end is definitely noticeable. I have a Marz 44 on my current 29er HT and owned a Tora Solo Air before that (Recon is basically a Tora with aluminum stanchions and steerer - although my Tora had an optional aluminum steerer). As for the action of the fork, I would not declare either a clearcut winner over the other. They are both good forks and not likely what would differentiate these two bikes the most. I have to imagine that is going to come down to a personal preference for the geometry of one over the other.

I really really liked the Giant XTC 29er1 I had for an extended test ride (about two weeks). I have not ridden a GF Cobia so I couldn't compare the two directly.

If I were deciding between the Giant 29er1 and 29er2, I would go for the 29er2. I like the Marz 44 as much as I liked the Fox F29, and the 29er2 comes with Shimano hydros instead of the Avid Juicy Three brakes that have had squealing issues. The rest of the parts on the 29er1 are not any big upgrade over the 29er2, so I would rather save the money and ride quiet brakes.

You really should ride them both to see which one you prefer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Tganks alot for the replies guys. I think im just gonna have to see which one fits better. Danke

mtbr member
    Are you gonna change your screen name? Heh!

Or you can wait for the Cannondale Trail SL 29'ER F2 to be released. It's the F4's replacement.

Review of the 2010 here. Trail SL 29'ER F4

See the 2011 specs at the bottom of this .pdf. 2011 Cannondales

All this coming from a guy who has never rode an off road bike. But still, I am waiting on the 2011 Cannondale F2 29'ER none the same.