mtbr member
    Feb 2005

2011 Fulcrum Red Metal 29 XL

Anyone have experience with these wheels?

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/jspfulc...alse&xc29=true

Soon to become available in Oz and considering getting a set for my Superfly.
    Also tossing up with the Easton EA90/Haven wheels or a custom build, though my experience with Fulcrum wheels has been really good so wanted to suss out the new XL option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a pair of the older version on my Superfly. They are great wheels. i wasnt looking at weight being the deciding factor. there are lighter cheaper wheels on the market. That will be first bash from most people who are just looking at paper / specs. These wheels are fast, stiff, smooth insanely strong. i imagine the new spokes improve overall performance. My girls bike has SL's and those are good too. again, a little on the heavy side but ride quality is awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I haven't ridden them but I did get a good look at a pair a couple of days ago. I've ridden the 2010 version and whilst I liked the rim design and the hubs I wasn't entirely convinced by the bladed steel spokes. The 2011 version with the nice big alloy spokes certainly makes more sense to me, they feel very sturdy but still light and given my experience with I9 wheels I'd say they should ride very nicely. Adaptors for both 9mm QR and 15mm thru axles in the box is also a nice touch. Personally I'd take them over the Eastons.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Agreed with the quality of the 2010 29 SL wheels, they are a stiff, responsive wheelset and that is the primary reason I'm looking at the XL's, as they're marginally lighter and should be stiffer with the alloy spokes.

Hoping they'll be available soon, as I'd like to compare pricepoint with the EA90's and Haven alloy wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Keep an eye on Chainlove - I've seen a variant of these 29er Fulcrums pop up on there for $500 a few times in the last couple weeks.

mtbr member
    For the loot you can get a custom wheelset with non-proprietary bits that is more gooderer.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Leg Shaver
    Rim width is a bit narrow IMHO
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WayDownSouth
    I've ridden the 2010 version and whilst I liked the rim design and the hubs I wasn't entirely convinced by the bladed steel spokes. The 2011 version with the nice big alloy spokes certainly makes more sense to me, they feel very sturdy but still light and given my experience with I9 wheels I'd say they should ride very nicely.
    Really? Aluminum is the last material I would choose for making bicycle spokes out of. Everything about it says it's wrong for the application. However Mavic has been using it in Kysyrium and crossmax wheels for some time with good successes on the road and reasonable durability off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I thought the rims were 19mm internal - is that too narrow?
    Personally I'd be running 2.1-2.2" tyres on my Superfly, so I think that should suffice.

I have been considering the Havens, which do have wider rims, though I'm not sure they would be as stiff as the Fulrcums, and I don't think I necessarily need the extra rim width.

to Soupboy; I'm still considering a custom build, though my main issue is getting a genuine UST rim. I did see at Sea Otter that DT Swiss is offering some higher-end 29" rims, which would be a good option, though I don't think they'll be UST.

I am also hoping that Shimano will expand their 29er offerings soon, at least a QR15 option for the XT 29" wheels would be good.

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh? The fulcrum are on the heavy side for xc use, unless you are over 200lbs or intend on using for trail riding.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Loaded up I am around 70 kg, and not particularly known for wrecking wheels.

On the other hand, the previous Fulcrum wheels I have owned have been absolutely bulletproof, even when smacking the rims onto rocks with under pressured tires. I believe their use of a 7000 series alloy makes the rims quite strong and stiff and they resist denting really well.

In terms of weight, I'll be knocking off about 250 grams going from the stock wheelset with the Fulcrums, which I think is pretty good. The main reason I'm upgrading is to get QR15 compatibility and also improve on the wheels stiffness and ride quality.

The reason I've been looking at Easton though, is the EA90 is a bit lighter again, and although perhaps not as strong as the Fulcrums, would likely be strong enough for my riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Fulcrum makes great wheels. I have 3 sets of Fulcrum Red Metal 5, two sets of Red Metal 29 SL and a set Red Metal 3. The only issue I came across was a loose rear hub nut in my wife's bike.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

Lessinia expert
    I'm waiting for Fulcrum Red Metal 29XL for my upcoming 29er. I have been using Red Metal Zero 26" since its introduction in the market, i.e. from January 2008. I have never had any issue. These wheels are still so solid, after dozens and dozens XC and MX races and trails.
    However it seems they have really long backorders. Mine is still waiting from half March '11 and they told me that the wheels won't arrive before than end of May and I'm Italian! I live only 30 miles from the Fulcrum firm.
    Are those wheels in stock in US?
    Italian Marathon biker who collected Prestigio MTB award in 2010-2011-2012!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

So I sussed out some build options with the Arch rims, and it looks like I can get a 240 wheelset with Supercomp spokes that will come out to about 1800gm.

Price-wise, this will be similar to the Fulcrums, with the Eastons being a tad more.

A couple of wheel-building mates were also not huge fans of the Stans rims, as they found them harder to build than Mavic or DT rims. Long term truing and maintenance were also areas they didn't seem to think the Stans rims were as good.
    Having said that, it seems that a lot of folks rave about them and they do seem to be quite popular. Personally, I would prefer to build up a Mavic TN719 or possibly those new DT 29er rims, but if these builds are going to come out to a similar price as the Fulcrum or Easton options, and a little heavier too, not sure how keen I am to go down that route.