mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2011 Fuji Outland 3.0 29er, input?

Im looking at buying a new '11 Outland 29er 3.0 for my wife from my LBS. Hes offering us a pretty damned good deal. Original price was $1479, hes offering it to us for $1250 and giving us $250 for my wifes '11 Giant Revel 2W. Im assuming this to be a pretty good deal from what im finding online. Performancebike.com has the small version only for $950 and she needs a large frame. Is there in particular pros or cons I should be concerned about? Im not a big fan of the Suntour fork but there seems to be some pretty decent deals on 29er forks available and shes a pretty leisurely rider.

2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Performance must be blowing them out because online they had all frame sizes in that bike just a few days ago. They also had the next step up ( the 2.0) for around $1150 a few weeks back, and I've seen it for less than that from time to time. They still have the 2.0 listed at $1299 online if your wife can ride a medium. I know the Performance store in Marietta, GA (outside Atlanta) had a large in one of those about a week ago as I was in there and took a peek at them. If you are going to upgrade the fork right away you may be better off simply buying the 2.0 since you get a Rock Shox Tora TK (as opposed to the Suntour on the 3.0) in addition to all the other drivetrain upgrades.
    While I generally like Fuji bikes for the money (I've owned a couple) I was not too excited by this particular model of bike. With that being said, if you can find one at Performance then you can sign up for their customer loyalty program (something like that) for around $30 and get 10% back in credit you can use in store or on line. It'll buy all of the little things you'd want to add (water bottle, helmet, etc.).

Best of luck to you and your wife with your decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im going to give my LBS the chance to counter offer. Hes giving me a great deal on the X Fusion Velvet for my Giant. So I'll present him with my findings and let him see what he can do.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Rub it............
    A large frame is a 21" frame. That would be sized for someone 6'2" or taller.