mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2011 Felt Nine Trail worth upgrading?

I am at a point where I feel like I am ready to start moving away from the entry level stuff. I have been looking at the Rock Shox reba rlt with the through axle hubs and upgrading the wheels. eventually I would want to upgrade the deraileurs and crank. Is the frame worthy of these nice components or am I better off getting a nice bike and selling this one? Thanks for any insight

mtbr member
    In my opinion, no.

To start its a pretty heavy bike for a 29er hardtail (32lbs) - it will be costly to bring it down to a more reasonable weight (25ish is reasonable for a 29er hardtail if not lighter)

The fork and wheelset is definatly the first thing to go, but the drivetrain, being Alevio 8 speed, is also one that could use an upgrade. I would say if you want a bike that is for more serious use, buy a new one. You could probobly get decent cash for the Felt or even keep it for a backup.

New fork: $450 RLT Reba
    Wheelset: $500 Stans
    Drivetrain: SLX - $400 complete

It adds up quick.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    In my opinion, no.

To start its a pretty heavy bike for a 29er hardtail (32lbs) - it will be costly to bring it down to a more reasonable weight (25ish is reasonable for a 29er hardtail if not lighter)

The fork and wheelset is definatly the first thing to go, but the drivetrain, being Alevio 8 speed, is also one that could use an upgrade. I would say if you want a bike that is for more serious use, buy a new one. You could probobly get decent cash for the Felt or even keep it for a backup.

New fork: $450 RLT Reba
    Wheelset: $500 Stans
    Drivetrain: SLX - $400 complete

It adds up quick.
    Thank you for your input. Pretty similar to what the guy told me at the bike shop!