mtbr member

2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER F4 will be F2

Hi folks, I have been trying to find a Large Cannondale 2010 Trail SL 29ER F4 with no luck so I wait for the 2011's.
    In my quest I found the below over in the Cannondale threads.

A total noob, I am wondering if the changes I found are good?

The Trail SL 29ER F4 will be replaced by a Trail SL 29ER F2. (Also confirmed this on the phone with Cannondale)
    There is also a number on the page to the left in the title bar "1FS29".

It looks like all the 2011 Shimano part numbers are different than the 2010's & the Tektro Auriga Comp Hyd Disc,w/ 180/160mm rotors have been replaced by Shimano M445 w/ 160-160 rotors. Is this good?

The crank has gone to an Octalink. Lots of the numbers have changed. I'm new to it all and hope to get your experienced opinions on the new configurations. Like the Fork now has the word "custom" and R,C,L w/ 1.5 steerer added in the description. Is that new or good?

The F2 is the last bike at the bottom of the 2011 pdf.

Thanks

2010 pdf w/ specs

2011 pdf w/specs

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Yes. The 2011 is a "better" bike than the 2010. That being said, if there's ANY possible way for you to upgrade to the Flash 3, GO FOR IT! The Lefty is a revelation to ride. I suggest you go ride a Lefty equipped bike and then ride the RST fork on the Trail and see for yourself You'd be going from a beginner bike to a race worthy ride in one step. If you're going to ride a few times and stash it in the garage for the rest of it's life then go for the Trail. If you actually plan to ride a couple times a week then it's well worth the extra money to step up to the MUCH nicer parts spec=)

mtbr member
    Thanks, Thouest tempeth me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Yes. The 2011 is a "better" bike than the 2010. That being said, if there's ANY possible way for you to upgrade to the Flash 3, GO FOR IT! The Lefty is a revelation to ride. I suggest you go ride a Lefty equipped bike and then ride the RST fork on the Trail and see for yourself You'd be going from a beginner bike to a race worthy ride in one step. If you're going to ride a few times and stash it in the garage for the rest of it's life then go for the Trail. If you actually plan to ride a couple times a week then it's well worth the extra money to step up to the MUCH nicer parts spec=)
    This is basically everything you need to know. DFYFZX's opinion is completely on par with mine. The upgrade to the lefty and a 2x10 transmission is going to be very worth it if you will ride very often and get into racing.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys, I admit I was fantasizing of the Lefty but it would be a waist.....

But I'll not be racing. I'll be riding the trails near my home of which there are a bunch. There are also tons of places near by to take the bike to ride.
    I'm 56 in years and need to keep the body & heart moving. I'll ride at least 5 days a week, at least an hour a day, 20 minutes minimum of that will be dedicated to a cardio pumping session. I say an hour because that will be my minimum.

I have guys trying to steer me away from the Cannondale to a Giant or a Motobecane near the same price point but I am stead fast for the Cannondale 2011 Trail SL 29ER F2.

It must be the matte black because I have never sat on ANY of them. I'm just drawn to the Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought one a month ago, love it!