mtbr member

2011 Anthem X3 or 2012 Scott Spark Team

looking at both of these bikes, the spark is slightly use and the Anthem is a close out from LBS. both are about the same price. advice on deciding.

Tactical Nightmare
    I can't speak to the Scott, although it does look sweet, but I just picked up a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 from my LBS on closeout, and I love it.....for my one ride so far. But I researched the hell out of these, and decided that the Anthem was the best bang for my buck, plus it was available at my LBS and I really like the guys there and their customer service. I was amazed at the number of people that rave about their Anthem and the Maestro suspension.

I know, it doesn't help you compare, but I at least wanted to provide some feedback on the Anthem. Let us know what you decide on, when it is all said and done. Thanks!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Do you get a warranty with the Scott?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got a 2011 X3 and really like it. I got it at a very nice discount due to a closeout, and am very happy with it. It's fairly aggressively set up, and rides nicely. Suspension takes a bit of adjustment to get it exactly where you like it. It took a bit more work than my other FS bike, but I enjoy the ride more now that it's set up.

vermonter
    I have a 2011 anthem x2 and it rides great. i put a revelation rct3 140 (adjusts to 110 with one click) climbs great with shocks in threshold mode and screams downhill with shocks wide open. excellent all around bike.
    Brattleboro/Keene NEMBA officer and trail hero!

mtbr member
    well I did it, got the X3.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by robpad View Post
    well I did it, got the X3.
    Nice! You won't be disappointed! I'll be curious to hear your thoughts after a ride or two. I'm going tomorrow and Sunday and am really looking forward to it. Again, good choice and enjoy it!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    rode Virginia Key trails sunday, trails a little dry and my tires are worn but still was a sweet ride.

Cassoulet forever !
    the new carbon anthem advanced !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Robpad, sounds like you went the same way I did. Here is an opinion I got from a bike shop who sold both bikes (best way to get an unbiased opinion I figured):

Both companies make great bikes but I'd lean towards the Spark for faster paced riding and towards the Giant for longer, rougher rides with a lot of seated climbing.

I think the Giant suspension design works really well for seated climbing--better than the Scott design. Giant's suspension gives a full range of travel with very little feedback to the rider other than that the tires are staying down and tracking. No pedal bob, no need to set a high preload. Great durability with the sealed cartridge bearings. No sense of wasted energy. If you're looking for an all day trail bike I think the Anthem is great.

If you plan on racing or just riding at a fast pace up smooth climbs where climbing out of the saddle would be useful, then the remote lockouts on the Spark would be a benefit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not many spark owners chiming in.

I'd be interested to know how well both bikes pedal without propedal or reduced travel mode.

I suspect the single pivot style scott bobs a bit, the Anthem not so much.
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS