mtbr member

2011 Anthem X3 or 2012 Scott Spark Team

looking at both of these bikes, the spark is slightly use and the Anthem is a close out from LBS. both are about the same price. advice on deciding.

Tactical Nightmare
    I can't speak to the Scott, although it does look sweet, but I just picked up a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 from my LBS on closeout, and I love it.....for my one ride so far. But I researched the hell out of these, and decided that the Anthem was the best bang for my buck, plus it was available at my LBS and I really like the guys there and their customer service. I was amazed at the number of people that rave about their Anthem and the Maestro suspension.

I know, it doesn't help you compare, but I at least wanted to provide some feedback on the Anthem. Let us know what you decide on, when it is all said and done. Thanks!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Do you get a warranty with the Scott?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got a 2011 X3 and really like it. I got it at a very nice discount due to a closeout, and am very happy with it. It's fairly aggressively set up, and rides nicely. Suspension takes a bit of adjustment to get it exactly where you like it. It took a bit more work than my other FS bike, but I enjoy the ride more now that it's set up.

vermonter
    I have a 2011 anthem x2 and it rides great. i put a revelation rct3 140 (adjusts to 110 with one click) climbs great with shocks in threshold mode and screams downhill with shocks wide open. excellent all around bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Your worst day fat biking in snow is still better than riding a trainer in the basement

mtbr member
    well I did it, got the X3.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by robpad View Post
    well I did it, got the X3.
    Nice! You won't be disappointed! I'll be curious to hear your thoughts after a ride or two. I'm going tomorrow and Sunday and am really looking forward to it. Again, good choice and enjoy it!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    rode Virginia Key trails sunday, trails a little dry and my tires are worn but still was a sweet ride.

Cassoulet forever !
    the new carbon anthem advanced !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Robpad, sounds like you went the same way I did. Here is an opinion I got from a bike shop who sold both bikes (best way to get an unbiased opinion I figured):

Both companies make great bikes but I'd lean towards the Spark for faster paced riding and towards the Giant for longer, rougher rides with a lot of seated climbing.

I think the Giant suspension design works really well for seated climbing--better than the Scott design. Giant's suspension gives a full range of travel with very little feedback to the rider other than that the tires are staying down and tracking. No pedal bob, no need to set a high preload. Great durability with the sealed cartridge bearings. No sense of wasted energy. If you're looking for an all day trail bike I think the Anthem is great.

If you plan on racing or just riding at a fast pace up smooth climbs where climbing out of the saddle would be useful, then the remote lockouts on the Spark would be a benefit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not many spark owners chiming in.

I'd be interested to know how well both bikes pedal without propedal or reduced travel mode.

I suspect the single pivot style scott bobs a bit, the Anthem not so much.
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS