Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2010 Rockhopper Expert

10K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  curtboroff 
#1 ·
There is a Rockhopper Expert for sale locally and I was curious what people's opinions are on this bike and what it might be worth. It seems to be in good condition, just some scratches and stuff. I am rather new and have been wanting to replace my 13 year old Trek. Our trails have moderate hills, rooty, in the south so nothing super crazy.

I have also been looking at the airborne Guardian and Seeker. I know the seeker specs are great but that is the extreme extreme end of my budget. Please let me know your thoughts and what it might be worth. Thanks

Here are the specs...

FRAME Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, Trail 29" geometry, ORE DT, externally relieved HT, 2-piece forged adjustable slider dropouts, disc only
REAR SHOCK
FORK RockShox Dart 3 SL for 29" wheel, 80mm, 1 piece magnesium lower, alloy steerer, adj. reb. damping w/ LO and preload adj., size-specific spring rates, spring assisted seal, disc only
HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
STEM 3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
HANDLEBARS Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 660mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 7 degree up sweep
GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
FRONT BRAKE Tektro Auriga Comp, hydraulic disc, dual piston w/ 160mm rotor
REAR BRAKE Tektro Auriga Comp, hydraulic disc, dual piston w/ 160mm rotor
BRAKE LEVERS Tektro Auriga Comp
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-5, mid cage
SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X5-R trigger
CASSETTE Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34t
CHAIN KMC X9 w/ reuseable Missing Link
CRANKSET Shimano FC-M442, Octalink Spline
CHAINRING S44A x 32S x 22S replaceable
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
PEDALS Alloy body and cage, 9/16"
RIMS Alex RHD 29", pinned, alloy double wall, eyelets, 28h front and 32h rear
FRONT HUB Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, 32h
REAR HUB Forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, cassette, 32h
SPOKES 2mm (14g) stainless
FRONT TIRE Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 29x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
REAR TIRE Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 29x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
INNER TUBES Schraeder valve
SADDLE Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
SEATPOST Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm
SEAT BINDER Forged alloy QR, brass washer

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm still riding my '09 which has a much better fork and drivetrain spec(RS Tora solo air, Deore group). But I have replaced the wheels, dropped the big ring for a bash guard and swapped to BB-7 brakes(way better than the tektro aruigia stock). It's a great bike that has held up to lots of hard XC with a 220lb rider.

But.
The stock wheels would not stay true, in fact the spokes would get loose enough that I'd hear them rattle after one ride, but I'm a big guy so.... And those tektro brakes just wouldn't stop me like I needed.
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

#3 ·
I have an 09 that I still love....same bike as above. I know they switched in recent years from that M4 frame which is a shame. That M4 was the same frame that was on the previous years Stumpjumper so it is a good one.

Great bike that I have beat the hell out of and it keeps on going.

#6 ·
The Rockhopper is the upgraded frame from the Hard Rock but the components are on the low end. 9spd is a plus. If it's in really good condition I'd say it's a nice first bike. He probably paid closer to $800 out the door when he first bought it.

#8 ·
I'm 6'3" and the bike pictured is a 21" w/ a 45mm stem, I could ride it around the world. The 19 should fit you perfect.
If its rough, I'd move on. If you want it, use the blue book $ and go no higher.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.