mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2010 Rockhopper Comp SL 29er vs Trek/Fisher Cobia

2010 Rockhopper Comp SL 29er vs Trek/Fisher Cobia
    I was wanting some input on these two bikes. As far as the quality, quality of the components and overall best value. If you have one, feel free to post pics of it. Thanks for any input, Burt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not sure this helps, or just adds more confusion.. I looked at both of these bikes, then ended up getting the Scott Scale.. it was a little cheaper, and seemed to have better components.. That and I liked the Bike shop more where I got it from.

up n over
    Nov 2010
    ive sold both.
    im not a fan of trek (i like the g2 geo but...)

spend $200 more and get the RH expert. i dont think you will be disappointed.
    "my cat's breath smells like catfood."
    -ralph wiggum

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the replies. Still looking for more input on these bikes or any other $1000.00 - 1400.00 29er. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I like the way the Giant XTC 2 rides for 1300 but hear there has been a rear brake issue with their frames.

mtbr member
    im pretty happy with my cobia....only thing i dont like is the sweep on the handle bars, got new ones coming....other than that its a pretty nice bike..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have the RH. I am happy with the bike so far. The red paint with the ghost Specialized logo is what sold me. I bought it as a closeout special December 26.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What is a fair price for a new 2010 rockhopper Comp SL 29er ? Our LBS has 2 of them but still have a 1300.00 price tag on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey 29er
    I have the RH. I am happy with the bike so far. The red paint with the ghost Specialized logo is what sold me. I bought it as a closeout special December 26.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The best way to figure out which to get is to ride all of them as much as you can before you purchase "the one". When I was looking for a bike I test rode as many as I could.

The geometry between the bikes is somewhat different. The Trek/GF has a more raked out HT angle, higher BB height and longer wheelbase. The big sweep bars on the Cobia are funky, imo, some people love them though. It was cheap swap at my LBS during my test rides to get more standard bar/stem setup.

The forks are both solo air with a turnkey lockout but the Cobia has 20mm more travel and the RH has a better damping system. From what I have read the Cobia fork can be upgraded to moco damping for $40-50.

Wheel sets seem similar to me - entry level, the RH's are old school being drilled schraeder valves. Drive train on both seem to be a mix of entry and mid level parts. And brakes are both entry level hydros.

All that said I bought the Cobia. It seemed to be more trail oriented vs the XC style RH. Most of the bikes I rode felt great but apart from the geo of Trek/GF, the LBS service is what sold me on the bike. I went to 5 different shops and was able to deal with a variety of salespeople and owners. The whole transaction so far has gone through the owner (not the actual servicing of the bike though) and with how big his shop is he has worked really hard on just this one sale/acquaintance. I am really happy with what I bought especially now that I have my cockpit pretty dialed. I am still looking upgrade some parts because I have the insatiable urge to make it "my" bike as I get deeper into this sport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also $1300.00 seems steep for a bike that should be on a close out deal. When I bought my first MTB is was a last year model Rockhopper that was a 1/3 off MSRP.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to go ride the trek, RH and scott today. They all seem close in weight and quality of components so I figure it will come down to comfort. Thanks again, Burt

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I paid $922 for the RH SL Comp 29'er on December 26,2010. The owner of the bike shop delivered it fron New Hampshire. He was having Christmas in New Jersey at his relatives house,so I guess I got lucky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I bought the Rockhopper last year and it's been a great bike although I have had some problems with the Juicy 3s and the wheels are junk imo. Everything else has been pretty solid. The looks of the bike are "unique". I find that people either love it or hate it. Great bike in this price range, however I now wish I would have spent a little more.