Results 1 to 88 of 88
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5

    2010 Giant XTC 29er 1

    The new Giant XTC 29er's are out and about. This one just came in today.
    26.37 lbs




    This bike looks fast sitting still. If your in the area swing past and check it out.

    ---------------------------
    cyclestarbikes.com - The 1st GBS Store In The USA

  2. #2
    I like Squishy Bikes
    Reputation: Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,096
    hubba hubba
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scralatchtica824's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    270
    daaaammmnn.. that thing looks sharp. So what's the deal with a maestro equipped Giant 29er? Was that just a big rumor or what?
    2009 Fisher Paragon
    XT Cranks, C29ssmax's, PG-990 11-34
    2.25 Racing Ralphs tubeless via Stans
    Truativ NOIR Carbon Riser

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,603
    I'd a thunk it woulda been lighter. What's making it over 25 pounds? Heavy cranks, and hubs and rims?

  5. #5
    agu
    agu is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,076
    lookin' good! I guess the OEM wheels could be lighter? Digging the color scheme and the blue ano touches on the seatpost and headset.

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101
    Never been a fan of giant but that thing looks really good. Looks a lot better than anything I have seen from the other two generic bike companies. (i.e. specialized and trek) Very nice touches on the annodized parts for a stock bike.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollinon29s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    253
    that thing looks sweet. is that a thru axle for the fox?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jan2X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    37
    Giant's website doesn't show the 29'ers yet.
    Anyway, that's one very nice-looking bike!

  9. #9
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Looks like a Giant.
    Meh!!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Looks like a Giant.
    Meh!!
    That's what she said!

    (sorry, just got back from Sierra Nevada Brewery)

  11. #11
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    You need to go and have a Dr check it if it looks anything like that pic.
    Maybe have it lanced.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,672
    Deore cranks, Giant brand rims, 2.0 spokes, Deore rear hub, Giant thru axle front hub. That's a fair amount of the weight.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,420
    Nice blue anodized headset and yes those rims look massive. I thought they were coming out with a singlespeed compatible version....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,767
    Any idea on who makes the Giant spec rims? They look deep, like deeper than the Velocity Chukker's!!!
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  15. #15
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,484
    I dunno, looks quite nice and all and the ano bits are a nice touch, but over $2k for a 26+lb HT Bit heavy IMHO, even considering the stock crappy, rebadged parts Hope all the ugly Giant rebadging is all stickers and comes off easy Wonder what they might sell the frame only for?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  16. #16
    29er zealot
    Reputation: froth14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    695
    Anyone having any weight figures on the frame? Surely, like stated above, all the weight is in the wheels/cranks, but that still seems a bit higher than I'd expect!

  17. #17
    no fat chicks
    Reputation: iliketoridebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    775
    they really did some brain thinkin when they came up with the name of that bike
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidcopperfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,777
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Wonder what they might sell the frame only for?
    Do you mean Trance 29er, which is the first stage of testing? You like it much before the rip9, trance has 127mm of travel and in 29er format will rock&rule.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Wonder what they might sell the frame only for?
    Yeah, frame only option has me very interested.....anyone hear anything yet?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Right now the frame only option is not available. It probably will be later on once they get the complete builds out to the dealers.

  21. #21
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,380
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    they really did some brain thinkin when they came up with the name of that bike
    Ya, but at least I won't have to endure all sorts of lame ass forum thread headlines like " there's something about Mary" with a plain moniker like XTC29_1, so there's that.
    "Do not touch the trim"

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bobbotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Ya, but at least I won't have to endure all sorts of lame ass forum thread headlines like " there's something about Mary" with a plain moniker like XTC29_1, so there's that.
    That is definitely a good thing!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Deore rear hub
    Often makes me wonder whether manufacturers actually want to sell the bikes theyíre are making when they spec components like thatÖ

  24. #24
    no fat chicks
    Reputation: iliketoridebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    775
    some cheesedick will come along and tell us how much eXsTaCy this bike gives them
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

  25. #25
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,410
    That's a good weight considering those parts.

    What are the rest of the specs? Price seems in line with what other manufacturers are giving at that pricepoint. The Stumpjumper base model has the same cranks.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    some cheesedick will come along and tell us how much eXsTaCy this bike gives them
    If I see that used in a title anywhere in the forum I'm blaming you.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I dunno, looks quite nice and all and the ano bits are a nice touch, but over $2k for a 26+lb HT Bit heavy IMHO, even considering the stock crappy, rebadged parts Hope all the ugly Giant rebadging is all stickers and comes off easy Wonder what they might sell the frame only for?
    It's lighter then my rigid SS.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    233
    The name establishes brand continuity... Giant's 26er hard tails also have the XTC moniker.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    It's lighter then my rigid SS.
    Same here

  30. #30
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,484
    What's your SS? I will say it's lighter than my geared, rigid commuter, but it's a Steel KM, with mostly old parts thrown on it - although I have done some upgrades recently, but haven't re-weighed it. Wonder if someone from a shop will strip one down and then throw on some XT type parts and then give it a weigh. I'd be more than happy if it weighed in around 23-23.5lbs with that sort of build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    It's lighter then my rigid SS.
    Anyway, not to be too negative, I'll say again Props to Giant for stepping into the market, but wish they would not have such a hefty price and weight for that sort of spec bike - FYI I purchased my '05 Trance3 with al LX stuff for $1500 back in early '05 and the new TranceX-3 is around $2k with a mix of Deore and SLX type stuff. The 26" XTC1 with a X5/Deore build is only $1100, so HTF does this get to $2k?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Anyway, not to be too negative, I'll say again Props to Giant for stepping into the market, but wish they would not have such a hefty price and weight for that sort of spec bike - FYI I purchased my '05 Trance3 with al LX stuff for $1500 back in early '05 and the new TranceX-3 is around $2k with a mix of Deore and SLX type stuff. The 26" XTC1 with a X5/Deore build is only $1100, so HTF does this get to $2k?
    Like has been said, it seams reasonable to me. It is a very similar spec to the Spec Stumpjumper

    The Fox thru-axle tapered-steerer fork alone is a huge step up from a Marz 22 on that comparison bike, nevermind the rest of the components. That's HTF you get to $2K. It is odd though that the models names between 26er and 29er won't match well in terms of spec though

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    26

    2010 XtC 29er 2

    Guys,

    Here's a more affordable option for you:

    $1350, MSRP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GiantBicycle; 06-25-2009 at 11:22 AM.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,420
    I wonder how the ride quality stacks up to a Vassago or Niner. I've ridden a 26er XTC before they were really stiff....

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    610
    I like the rims, they look like they might be nice and wide. Good to see manufacturers who understand the need for wide rims. Does the OP know anything more about them?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    What's your SS?
    OS Blackbuck B9er

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,214
    a black on black (gloss/matte) like some of the 26" bikes would look sweet.

    I'd be interested in a frame only option. Are the carbon seastays all gone?

  37. #37
    nor
    nor is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    82
    Guys,

    Here's a more affordable option for you:

    $1350, MSRP
    I dont think I want a cheaper option just more for your money with the XTC 1. 2K for a 26lb bike is crazy expensive.
    ron-k.blogspot.com

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    105
    If I hadn't already ordered an Air 9 I would probably get this. Looks great. Giant might be a "plain/generic" brand but I trust their manufacturing abilities (as do dozens of other bike companies) and they seem to focus more on developing good products than marketing EVERYONE EVERYWHERE.

    the extra weight's probably just coming from a heavy-ish seatpost, stem, bars and rims. Throw money at the problem and it'll go away but otherwise it seems like a nice bike spec.

  39. #39
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    Nothing wrong with Deore

    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Often makes me wonder whether manufacturers actually want to sell the bikes they’re are making when they spec components like that…
    It's just not particularly light... and doesn't have a tons of engagement points. It won't impress your friends, but who cares as long as it doesn't' break. I might expect better parts for that price range, but that would not be a complete turn-off for me.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    It's just not particularly light... and doesn't have a tons of engagement points. It won't impress your friends, but who cares as long as it doesn't' break. I might expect better parts for that price range, but that would not be a complete turn-off for me.
    Problem is that Shimano freehubs break all too often, they arenít very well sealed, they donít have enough engagement points and they arenít very smooth compared to cartridge bearing hubs. Considering the price and the rest of the components I wouldnít expect Giant to spec such a poor rear hub, it isnít even a 2010 Deore rear hub...

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by nor
    I dont think I want a cheaper option just more for your money with the XTC 1. 2K for a 26lb bike is crazy expensive.
    1+ Agreed. I'm a Giant fan but I just built up a comparable 29er for less money and it weighs less as well.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9
    I just ordered one of these! I'd tested a number of other 29ers and all but the niner felt like boats...the niner felt like an actual bike...as does this giant. The giant,with a100mm fork feels a little less nimble than the niner did with an 80mm fork...but still like a bike. Frame seems stiffer than the niner...for better and worse. The additional stiffness of the 15mm axle fork/wheel is notably a good thing...unfortunately, the fork is not the RLC version, but my LBS said they'd upgrade the internals for a couple of hundred bucks. It is heavier than I'd like, but for the price it will get me riding a 29er immediately...I can work on the weight later. Wheels will be my first upgrade...I loathe the feel of wheels with plain spokes.

    Anyway, this bike, with it's noted problems was good enough to separate me and my money to become my first 29er.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Problem is that Shimano freehubs break all too often, they arenít very well sealed, they donít have enough engagement points and they arenít very smooth compared to cartridge bearing hubs. Considering the price and the rest of the components I wouldnít expect Giant to spec such a poor rear hub, it isnít even a 2010 Deore rear hub...
    What about their competitors? All of these bikes have M525 hubs as well:
    HiFi Plus 29 - $2500
    Stumpjumper Comp 29 - $1900
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 - $2700
    For the third or fourth time, I don't understand why everyone is bagging so hard on Giant when their new offering is similar to what is already out there. Yes, its a bit heavy but they also made it beefier than the competitors hardtails (tapered headtube, thru-axle fork, rims look stiff and wider). Its a tradeoff you don't have to like but that doesn't make it stupid

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,176
    Yeah, our Giant rep stopped by today with one of these and also one of the new flat bar road bikes. It was pretty sharp. The FS 29er will be a 2011 model.

    There's some neat stuff coming out for 2010, including PRICE DROPS.
    adam ē michigan ē karate monkey

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidcopperfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,777
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    The FS 29er will be a 2011 model.
    Hopefully it is Trance (not anthem sic!) with tapered Manitou minute 120mm TA.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    813
    Here's what I heard from a local shop, who was told this by their Giant rep:

    Frame weight - 3.14lbs

    They're working on an Alliance version also

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1-bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    1+ Agreed. I'm a Giant fan but I just built up a comparable 29er for less money and it weighs less as well.
    +2! The XTC 1 should be AT LEAST 2 lbs lighter. Its not a trail bike it their top of the line HT racer...
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    +2! The XTC 1 should be AT LEAST 2 lbs lighter. Its not a trail bike it their top of the line HT racer...
    Sorry, but their top of the line 26" HT racer is actually the XTC Advanced for over a grand more. The 26" XTC 1 is an $1100 entry-to-mid-level trail bike. The spec with a thru-axle fork makes it look more like a trail bike to me.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    70
    I am glad to see giant come out with the 29er. it is about time. but i am suprised that they are so well known for the meastro suspension, why not make your first 29er with that full suspension.

  50. #50
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,742

    Boring

    We NEED a Maestro Giant 29er.

    Jaybo

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    What about their competitors? All of these bikes have M525 hubs as well:
    HiFi Plus 29 - $2500
    Stumpjumper Comp 29 - $1900
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 - $2700
    For the third or fourth time, I don't understand why everyone is bagging so hard on Giant when their new offering is similar to what is already out there. Yes, its a bit heavy but they also made it beefier than the competitors hardtails (tapered headtube, thru-axle fork, rims look stiff and wider). Its a tradeoff you don't have to like but that doesn't make it stupid
    I thought they’d make a better hub choice than this given what they usually spec on bikes of this component level and price. I really wanted to buy this bike and was happy to throw the brakes straight in the bin but having to rebuild the rear wheel before even riding the bike is putting me off quite a bit, and Giant probably won’t even sell the bike in the UK.

    If you look around in the forums you’ll find I spend a lot of time having a go at Shimano hubs and it just so happens that the Deore level hub I broke was on a Specialized Stumpjumper, I’ve also had two other Shimano hubs break. I spent a long time picking on Specialized for that too…
    Last edited by EGF168; 06-26-2009 at 04:55 AM.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    I thought theyíd make a better hub choice than this given what they usually spec on bikes of this component level and price. I really wanted to buy this bike and was happy to throw the brakes straight in the bin but having to rebuild the rear wheel before even riding the bike is putting me off quite a bit, and Giant probably wonít even sell the bike in the UK.

    If you look around in the forums youíll find I spend a lot of time having a go at Shimano hubs and it just so happens that the Deore level hub I broke was on a Specialized Stumpjumper, Iíve also had two other Shimano hubs break. I spent a long time picking on Specialized for that tooÖ
    Fair enough I guess. I had one of these hubs on my last bike too; it withstood a year of rough riding under my 195lb self and being stored outside under a tarp and was still going strong when I sold the bike. Luck of the draw I guess

  53. #53
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    We NEED a Maestro Giant 29er.

    Jaybo

    They make one....it's called a RIP9!


    ...shields up.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  54. #54
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,742

    You are right

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417
    They make one....it's called a RIP9!


    ...shields up.
    The design is very similar and they are excellent bikes. I have a Jet 9.

    Jaybo

  55. #55
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    903
    If I rebadged my '09 RIP9 with Giant stickers, no one would know the diff. The suspension feels identical to my Reign and Trance X. I believe it is one of the most under rated or overlooked suspensions on the market at any price. The fact that the RIP looks and reacts like my Giants is WHY I bought it.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidcopperfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,777
    What about Reign 29er with WB 150mm 35 stanchions and tapered steerer tube? yammy isn't it?

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    What about Reign 29er with WB 150mm 35 stanchions and tapered steerer tube? yammy isn't it?
    yammy indeed!

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidcopperfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,777
    It would be first serially made longer than 140mm 29er. It would bring some forks along the way as fox 36 or even Marzocchi 66

  59. #59
    I like endos
    Reputation: ParkerFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    493

    I wrench at a Giant shop

    and we also carry Redline and Fuji. We all thought the frames looked really cool, and then laughed when we saw the prices.. Stick an XTC 2 (the only 1 we'd even have a chance at selling here) next to the Fuji Tahoe pro 29 with avid juicy discs, x7 drivetrain, truvativ firex cranks, etc. and we'll never sell 1 since it's still 100+ dollars more expensive than the tahoe. Don't even get me started on how to convince people to buy it next to the Redline d440 package we sell with bb5s and a tora for just under $1000. I think it AND the specialized bikes are priced out of the market for mid-level 29er buyers when you compare the spec you can get elsewhere for less $$.

    Also, for ~600 less than the cost of the XTC1 29er you can buy a "parts kit bike" from bikes direct and an on-one scandal frame and build a bike that's nearly 2 pounds lighter and has nicer parts. I just don't see it being particularly competitive in the marketplace, unless they lower the suggested prices, which I think they will eventually do.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

  60. #60
    Aussie Bike Bashing
    Reputation: Pinchphlat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1
    Here's what I heard from a local shop, who was told this by their Giant rep:

    Frame weight - 3.14lbs

    They're working on an Alliance version also
    Yeah that makes sense - the 26lbs couldn't have come from the frame. Even with the 26lbs, it is good to see that Giant are bringing a 29er onto the market. Many of us 29er nutcases have been waiting for a Giant 29er as a sign of this bike genre entering the mainstream. Well now it is here, but we need a Giant FS and some higher end models. 2010 looks as though it is going to be interesting!

  61. #61
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by agu
    lookin' good! I guess the OEM wheels could be lighter? Digging the color scheme and the blue ano touches on the seatpost and headset.
    X2....................looks GREAT and glad to see another 29er choice!

    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Problem is that Shimano freehubs break all too often, they arenít very well sealed, they donít have enough engagement points and they arenít very smooth compared to cartridge bearing hubs. Considering the price and the rest of the components I wouldnít expect Giant to spec such a poor rear hub, it isnít even a 2010 Deore rear hub...
    Not sealed for ****, few engagement points and could definitely be smoother...cartridge bearings are waaay nicer. My last Shimano freehub didn't even last six months....all gritty and not freewheeling at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by nor
    I dont think I want a cheaper option just more for your money with the XTC 1. 2K for a 26lb bike is crazy expensive.
    Me three...
    Get off the couch and ride!

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Not sealed for ****, few engagement points and could definitely be smoother...cartridge bearings are waaay nicer. My last Shimano freehub didn't even last six months....all gritty and not freewheeling at all.
    That's why I only use at least XT. Worked just great all winter in WI. One was the 765 and the other, much more abused was the 775 (Pugsley).

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    That's why I only use at least XT. Worked just great all winter in WI. One was the 765 and the other, much more abused was the 775 (Pugsley).
    One of the other Shimano hubs I broke was the XT M775, it was replaced by Shimano but the replacement felt pretty awful by the time I sold the bike. Engagement and weight are fine once you get up to XT level but smoothness, strength and sealing are still lacking IMO.

    As far as Iím concerned the only good hub Shimano makes is the AlfineÖ

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    154
    I rode one yesterday and thought it felt pretty light for a 29er. Of course the other bikes I rode (and the one I bought) were priced more like the 2. They just got the bike in on Friday and didn't know the exact price so they let me take it for a ride while they looked it up. It does look even better in person and feels really fast.

  65. #65
    Get out of town!
    Reputation: Ridin'Dirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,443
    2K and you get Deore cranks, hubs? Does anyone else remember when Giant was seen as one of the best specs for the money?

    It may be 2009 but over 2K is still A LOT of money! I just don't get it.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty
    2K and you get Deore cranks, hubs? Does anyone else remember when Giant was seen as one of the best specs for the money?

    It may be 2009 but over 2K is still A LOT of money! I just don't get it.
    Giants new wheels which are suppose to be 40% stiffer than other 29r rims and lighter, hubs are also made by Giant. The fox RL fork is not cheap approx $700+. The frame is 3.14 lbs compared which is comparable to Niners 3.10 lb Air 9 that is $800 retail. XT rear derailleur, SLX shifters, Juicy 3s.

    Its hard to build a 29r with respectable parts for under $2000.

  67. #67
    Get out of town!
    Reputation: Ridin'Dirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,443
    You say Juicy 3s like thats a good thing.

    Fox forks are great but I say they should have put a Reba on the front and spread a little more love around. Especially on the crank. If the wheels are 40% stiffer and lighter than "other wheels" then what is weighing the bike down? You have a really light frame. A 3lbs fork.... I know you can't please everyone though.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

  68. #68
    agu
    agu is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,076
    the $2K question is...

    how does it ride?

    hope a ride report gets posted soon (a real review, not an e-review!)

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty
    You say Juicy 3s like thats a good thing.

    Fox forks are great but I say they should have put a Reba on the front and spread a little more love around. Especially on the crank. If the wheels are 40% stiffer and lighter than "other wheels" then what is weighing the bike down? You have a really light frame. A 3lbs fork.... I know you can't please everyone though.
    One of the shop workers complete Air 9 with a full XTR, FSA Carbon bar, stem, seatpost, crossmax wheels, fox forks, weighs in at around 24.5 lbs for a approx $5000 build. The fact is 29ers are going to be heavier than 26 inch bikes. Shimano uses a trickle down approach to manufacturing as well as sram, at one point the quality of today's deore was xtr quality. Juicy 3s are better than Hayes 9 which was placed on everything Giant offered at and around the $2000 mark in 2007. 2008 was Hayes Strokers still lower quality than Juicy 3s, 2009 was shimanos which are about equivalent to that of Juicy 3s.

    29ers are going to continue being more expensive than 26ers for a few years because parts are just starting to finally become readily available for them. Look a few years back and see how little component/tires there was for 29ers, now look at today. Not to mention the American dollar is not what is used to be, buying power it has in China and Taiwan is dwindling while the Chinese and Taiwanese economy is booming, causing the quality of living to go up, thus causing the manufacturing cost to climb. Last bike year experienced a 30% increase in price for product, hell xtr went up a $100 in wholesale last year.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by agu
    the $2K question is...

    how does it ride?

    hope a ride report gets posted soon (a real review, not an e-review!)
    I actually rode one so I can give you a road ride test review

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I'd a thunk it woulda been lighter. What's making it over 25 pounds? Heavy cranks, and hubs and rims?
    Agree. do you get pork rinds with this purchase....

    I thought Giant was a leader, not someone going after the entry level market.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Agree. do you get pork rinds with this purchase....

    I thought Giant was a leader, not someone going after the entry level market.
    Entry level at mid level pricing

  73. #73
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,484
    Wonder how the new Rocky Mountain bike will compare price wise to the Giant Sure looks very sweet and similarly if not better specd.

    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Wonder how the new Rocky Mountain bike will compare price wise to the Giant Sure looks very sweet and similarly if not better specd.

    I completely forgot about the Vertex, Iím guessing thatís going to be pretty expensive considering the parts, neat frame details and the fact that itís a Rocky Mountain. The good thing is they seem to sell their 29ers in the UK but their 26ers are all well overpriced compared to Trek, Giant or Specialized so it doesnít look good for the 29ers.

  75. #75
    Get out of town!
    Reputation: Ridin'Dirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by ::DYSLEXIC::

    29ers are going to continue being more expensive than 26ers for a few years because parts are just starting to finally become readily available for them.
    Besides tires and rims what other parts are you referring to? Forks cost about the same.

    I have a FS 29er that weighs on the low side of 28lbs with Rampages, Flow rims, tubes, and no carbon to speak of.

    I think a hardtail with XT parts and good wheels should not be unreasonable in the 2K range. Anyway, I won't beat a dead horse and I'm glad Giant has a 29er offering.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    528
    I just had a chance to ride the XTC 1, it's awesome bike. The geometry is superb if you have short legs,I was actually able to ride the 18 without any problems( I'm 5'8 and have a short inseam of 27 inches.) .

    The bike is quite light and superb climber. I found climbing on it easier than the Rocky Mountain Hammer 29 geared with the same gear settings. I can't tell if this is because the XTC 1 uses a Shimano Crankset versus the Race Face crankset used on the Hammer. The Rocky Mountain used Shimano PD 520 clipless pedals while the XTC 1 used some sort of platform pedal. Note I wasn't wearing clip in shoes when I tested the bikes on this particular parking lot hill near the bike store.

    The XTC weighs in at 27 lbs with a set of platform pedals. So far it seems to be a very fast and nice bike.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Can we get a rundown of the specs on the XTC1? I haven't been able to find the full specs on the bike yet, and it's difficult to compare it to others in the same price range. Been shopping around looking for a 29er lately.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    528
    The cranks and components are Shimano Deores. The brakes are Avid Juicy 3's. The fork is a Fox fork. I haven't ridden too many 29er's but from experience riding an XTC Advanced carbon hardtail and the Rocky Mountain Hammer 29 Geared I feel the XTC 1 is an awesome bike. It's wonderful bike to ride you should ask your local Giant dealer if he can sign up for the "demo program" where they let you take a bike home for a day.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    103
    Would love to hear peoples heights inseams and the size they are riding

  80. #80
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Problem is that Shimano freehubs break all too often, they aren’t very well sealed, they don’t have enough engagement points and they aren’t very smooth compared to cartridge bearing hubs...
    True and false, IME: True, shimano freehubs are not the strongest out there. But everyone of my shimano hubs, when properly adjusted and regularly serviced, has spun smoother and longer than all of my cartridge bearing hubs. The trick is to crack the cone nuts loose and retention the bearings before using the hubs. They last longer and roll super fast if this is done on day one.

    In the end, I'll keep beating the daylights out of my Hadleys over any shimanos, but at their price level, shimano stuff is better than anything comparable.
    Every rose has it's thorn.

    enjoy the ear worm

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneEyeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    634
    I agree with everything written below.
    All of you putting the bike down because it weighs 26 lbs and has a crappy rear hub need to ride the bike.
    I have and it feels much lighter than 26 lbs. Climbs like a mountain goat, handles awesome, and the front end feels stiff as hell and responsive.
    The rims are made by Giant, and although heavy, are part of the reason why the front end feels so stable and responsive.
    Giant obviously put a lot of thougt into the frame, which includes a tapered head tube which many 29ers lack. This accounts for a lot of the front end stiffness.
    Frame geometry is spot on: it feels nimble in the tight stuff, and stable at speed.
    Can it be lighter? Sure.
    Can it have a better rear hub? Sure.
    But it's obvious to me that a large part of the cost of this bike is due to the R and D that Giant put into the frame.
    After all, that's really what makes a bike.
    Go to your local Giant dealer and take one for a test ride.
    Compare it to other 29ers you've ridden.
    You can always ride it till the rear hub explodes, then rebuild the wheel.
    Plus, you can always save a little weight by by upgrading the stem, seatpost, seat, etc as $ permits.
    Bottom line, ride one before you put it down.
    And no, I don't own one, but will some day.
    Lenny


    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles
    I just had a chance to ride the XTC 1, it's awesome bike. The geometry is superb if you have short legs,I was actually able to ride the 18 without any problems( I'm 5'8 and have a short inseam of 27 inches.) .

    The bike is quite light and superb climber. I found climbing on it easier than the Rocky Mountain Hammer 29 geared with the same gear settings. I can't tell if this is because the XTC 1 uses a Shimano Crankset versus the Race Face crankset used on the Hammer. The Rocky Mountain used Shimano PD 520 clipless pedals while the XTC 1 used some sort of platform pedal. Note I wasn't wearing clip in shoes when I tested the bikes on this particular parking lot hill near the bike store.

    The XTC weighs in at 27 lbs with a set of platform pedals. So far it seems to be a very fast and nice bike.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    205
    Looks like it has a carbon seat stays? Kinda like the Salsa mamasita.

    It is also available as just a frame set in white.

    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...er/5729/37118/

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by chpfly
    Looks like it has a carbon seat stays? Kinda like the Salsa mamasita.

    It is also available as just a frame set in white.

    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...er/5729/37118/
    That's the Alliance version, not the standard version. Available in both versions obviously..

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,458
    Any shops there able to supply an Alliance 29er (frame only)?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    173
    i have heard that the alliance frame and bikes were not coming out in 2010, not sure if they will ever make it to the market but as of now those bikes are on hold. This was told to me by a giant rep. He also said they are working on a full carbon frame, but thats still a ways off.

  86. #86
    I don't huck.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorto
    Would love to hear peoples heights inseams and the size they are riding

    6'2",34", XL size
    Last edited by mtroy; 11-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    Any shops there able to supply an Alliance 29er (frame only)?
    The XTC Alliance 29er is a mid-season release. Look for it aound January/February.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Doubts

    I just bought a 2010 xtc 29er 2. This will be my first Giant and my first 29er. Purchased at Colon Bicycle at 1,245, I don't like the way the flat handlebar looks, the store will replace the handlebar for another one for free. Should I leave it the way it is, or should I change it? Bought the bike to get in shape, and for the price it seems to have quality parts. I appreciate any advice on making the bike confortable to ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •