mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2010 Access XCL 9.5 29er vs 2010 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 26"

I have owned a Trek 7000 since 1999 and I am looking to replace it. I have narrowed down my search to the following two bikes:

1) 2010 Access XCL 9.5 29er ($699.99)
    2) 2010 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 26" ($599.99)

Here is a link that compares the specifications of the two bikes:
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...ompSKU=1081532

I understand that one is a 29er and the other is a 26". I am not looking to get into the debate of which is a better wheel size.

I am simply looking for a comparison of the parts and components of the two bikes. I am interested in performance, durability, reliability, maintenance costs, and appropriateness for use on a wide variety of types of riding.

I am 29 years old, 5'9", 160lbs, ride on all sorts of trails and sometimes on pavement, and am looking to stay in the $500-$700 price range.

Thanks in advance your help in this decision.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Well, the Access is available in 19", 21" and 23" and the GT is available in XS, S or L. So you better make sure a large size GT or the 19" Access is going to fit you well.

Aside from that, for the price, I would prefer Tektro hydraulic brakes (on the GT) to BB5's on the Access. I would also prefer a Tora 302 (on the GT) to a Dart just for the 32mm stanchions vs. the 28mm stanchions on the Dart (Access). You could probably drop in a Motion Control damper on that Tora for not too much coin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Curious to find out which you ended up getting. I am also about to make a decision between these same two bikes.

Master of Disaster
    Here's mine with a new crankset amongst other things:

Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!

mtbr member
    I own both of these bikes...both with better components then advertised here (through upgrades of course) and I can tell you that after getting my Access 9.5...my GT will maybe never see Trail time again under my arsh. I think it's more the 29er thing then the quality of the bike...just my 2€...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for your input guys. I ended up going with the Access 9.5 and should be picking it up tomorrow. As a begginer I didn't want to step up to the 9.7 until I know this is really for me. I'll probably end up upgrading too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There she is

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Nice looking bike!
    I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich...

Master of Disaster
    Here's the list of upgrades to my own 2010 Access XCL 9r 9.5. It’s ridiculous how few original parts I have left on it - I should have just bought a 9.7 model to begin with. Over the past ten months I’ve upgraded every component except the wheelset, rear shifter/derailleur, chain and frame. You’d almost think I had a “problem” (especially if “you” is my wife):
    • Headset:......FSA Orbit ZS-3
    • Pedals:........Forté Convert Platform pedal
    • Handlebar:..TruVativ Stylo 680mm (26.75in), 20mm rise
    • Stem:..........TruVativ Stylo Race 110mm with 31.8 clamp (I would have gone 100mm but they were out of that size)
    • Grips:..........Ergon GC2-L (I like these but next time I'll try the Ergon GX1 Leichtbau grips)
    • Saddle:.......WTB Speed V Comp
    • Fork:...........RST M-29 100mm air fork
    • Brakes:........Shimano XT M775 with 203/180mm F/R rotors (I should have stuck with 180mm F/R)
    • 1x9 conv:.....Paul Love Components Chain Keeper (35mm)
    • Crankset:.....Shimano Deore M590 Hollowtech II with external BB 175mm, 32T middle ring only (I should have stuck with 170mm)
    • Tires:...........Continental Race King 29x2.2's

Let's not even get into the clothing, shoes, tools and other accessories...
    Last edited by Clones123; 03-21-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Master of Disaster
    Okay, maybe I do have a little bit of a problem because I just ordered:
    • R.Shifter:......SRAM X.9, black
    • R.Deraileur:..SRAM X.7 short cage, black
    • Cassette:.......SRAM PG970 11-34T

That leaves the wheelset, chain, seatpost and frame as still original. (cough) Yikes.
    Last edited by Clones123; 03-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 9.5... I love it. How do you like the RST fork? Better than the Dart 3?

Been thinking about removing the large chainring and changing the bike over to a 2x9 with a bashguard.

My 9.5 currently has X.7 shifters, but the stock X.5 rear derailleur. Maybe I need to shift it over to all X.7 or X.9.

Also been thinking about hydraulic brakes... not sure yet.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    How do you like the RST fork? Better than the Dart 3?
    M-29 vs Dart 3 - a fork that really works vs a fork that really doesn't.

I just added a Easton Haven Disc 29er UST wheelset this week. With the new Ergon GX1 grips I recently added, I'm into the area of upgrading parts that have already been upgraded once. Man, who knew it would get this expensive?!

After less than a year only the frame, chain and seat post are still original

Last edited by Clones123; 04-27-2011 at 05:34 PM.
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    damn, clones. your almost as bad as me and my deadeye. i started upgrading it in january, and now have 2 new bikes. i get it to where its just the stock frame, then i buy a frame for all those upgrades. return the dawes to stock, but i start upgrading again. horrible.