mtbr member
    May 2009

2009 Slingshot Farmboy 29er W/Velocity Color

Wanted to share photo of new Slingshot.
    The lime colored Blunt rims from Velocity match perfectly
    Will do a ride review when I get a few more miles on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Self-defeatist
    Nice! It's so cool that the Blunts come in so many colours now.

Post some on-trail pics when you do your ride report, I just like to look at those bikes.

C.
    I'm covered in beer.

no fat chicks
    u need to stop using the headtubes off 26" bikes
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member

I just don't get these bikes

Never have.. How tight is that cable? It is a cable isn't it? Why? Or is a rod? And why have a top tub that is twice the size of a normal tube just to run a spindly rod as the down tube? I don't hate it just don't understand the purpose behind it.

mtbr member

Hey minor swing,

Quote Originally Posted by minor swing
    Never have.. How tight is that cable? It is a cable isn't it? Why? Or is a rod? And why have a top tub that is twice the size of a normal tube just to run a spindly rod as the down tube? I don't hate it just don't understand the purpose behind it.
    Bro too funny, I was just looking at the picture of this bike and said to myself "I just don't get it" and than I scrooled down to read reply's only to find your " I just don't get this bike",I don't know just thought it was funny..FWIW even though I don't "Get" this bike (nor do I need to as it's not mine) I don't dis-like it just find it to B quite interesting...I love the green looks great...........Enjoy...........CF.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    looks pretty cool. the color scheme goes well!

how much toe/tire clearance do you have? doesn't look like a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have always liked these bikes. Never actually ridden one, but if I recall correctly the cable gives some give and added traction. Kind of an inchworm type thing. That is what I recall from a buddy who had one like 15 years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't know about the dirt version, but there was a guy on my team in the early 90's who raced road on one. That was the scariest road bike I have ever seen. When you go through a corner in a crit and your wheels are taking 2 different lines through the corner, somethin' ain't right. We used to work extra hard to stay at the front of the pack just to avoid trying to follow the dude through corners!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    it's designed from the get-go as a sort of passive suspension, hence the fibre board at the back of the top tube which flexes vertically but not laterally, the cable run up to a high pressure spring and pulls on the spring, you adjust the cable/spring to adjust "frame tension".

side benefit? full size, fully functional folding bike...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I used to see a few of those at early 90's races...and did see one of their road bikes back then ,too.
    I remember riding one and that different ride it gave ( it had a rigid fork).
    figured they were long gone...along with a lot of odd stuff from back then.
    I saw the ad for one in MBA, Greenfish I think? I then saw one at a NH race last week and now this one.
    SlingShot is back...Alright! (just like the Back Street Boys)

MONKEYMAN
    I've been riding mine since late 2006. Great bike. The post regarding 'your wheels are taking 2 different lines through the corner' made me laugh. I've not seen or felt that happen while riding my farmboy. People with little experience imagine all sorts of things about the bike- I've heard "Oh yeah, I rode one of those things once, it felt like a clown bike. You could point the front wheel in one direction and the back wheel in another"
    Total hogwash.
    Anyway, it's a very smooth ride and for the most part, rides like a steel hard tail. The rear is reynolds 853 and the top tube "boom tube" is seven series Al. The 'sling-power' a.k.a. "Energy Return Bicycle" has actually been proven (?) to give back some power in the crank 'dead zone'. For me, it's not very noticeable. It is most noticeable out of the saddle and putting the hammer down. It does give an 'inch worm' feel but like I said, very subtle.

“I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Intriguing to say the least. I saw one in a museum in Colorado Springs but have never actually ridden one. Look forward to a ride report.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    always loved slingshot desgines... my aunt talked about them back in the early 90's...

yours looks sweet with the green blunts
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I had a chance to ride a friend's 26er Slingshot back-to-back with my Karate Monkey. I think the Slingshot actually rode smoother than the KM. The Slingshot did take a bit to get used to the torsional flex, but once I was used to it I forgot about it and it caused no handling problems. His is early to mid 1990's; I hear the newer ones have better torsional rigidity. I had a lot of fun riding it and would not mind getting one someday. Oh, and for the record, both bikes were running rigid forks.

mtbr member
    Sling Shot explains on this page:
    http://www.slingshotbikes.com/technology/slingpower

In every pedal rotation of a traditional bike design there is a "dead" portion in the power stroke where the rider is getting no benefit from the expended effort. With the Slingshot design, we have provided the most efficient use of pedal energy throughout the entire pedal revolution resulting in greater speed with the same expended energy. This difference is achieved as pedal energy is stored in the spring compression - then released at the "dead" portion of the pedal stroke, effectively increasing the length of the power stroke. Any energy not going directly to the rear wheel (forward power) is momentarily stored, returning 100% in the "dead" portion of the power stroke. This returned energy helps balance the power through the pedal stroke and reduces the effect of the dead spot. The net effect is what we call "Sling Power".
    Here are the components that allow for the stored energy - release.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    The post regarding 'your wheels are taking 2 different lines through the corner' made me laugh. I've not seen or felt that happen while riding my farmboy. People with little experience imagine all sorts of things about the bike- I've heard "Oh yeah, I rode one of those things once, it felt like a clown bike. You could point the front wheel in one direction and the back wheel in another"
    Total hogwash.
    Again, I'm not commenting on the MTB and I certainly don't begrudge anyone a bike they like, BUT I rode with that dude for several years and so did a lot of other people and I saw going through corners where the front and back wheels were following a completely different radius through turns. I can ask anyone else in those races and they would say the same. Maybe the dude somehow set his bike up to flex more, maybe the older road bikes from Slingshot were really flexy, I don't know. I do know that bike was freaking scary and we were lucky he was not strong enough to be in the pack the whole race so we didn't have to deal with his very sketchy lines.

He had major back problems, so liked it because it was softer than a normal road bike, but DAMN, that thing was not meant for the fast handling of crit racing, fast and twisty downhills, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So what happens if the cable snaps? That may be a silly question but I am curious. An interesting concept for sure.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleboy
    ...the front and back wheels were following a completely different radius through turns...
    Don't ALL bikes do that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Not like this did!

Edit - I'm trying to picture the physics here. On a bike w/ a normal frame, wouldn't the wheels follow the same line through the turn, EXCEPT if you have the bars turned? Take a bike, roll it in a straight line, the wheels follow each other. Take same bike, lean it to one side and roll it along and the wheels still follow one another. The faster you go, the less turning of the bars is done through a corner and the more lean angle controls where you go. Being that you would always have a slight turn in the bars, there will be some difference in the line between front and rear, but not a lot.

The Slingshot though was like the front of the bike was leaning at 80 degrees and the back was at something else (like it twisted at the "hinge") and so the wheels were following completely different tracks aside from how much the bars were turned.
    Last edited by cycleboy; 06-11-2009 at 08:32 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Slingshot Cable Breaking

My understanding from Aaron at Slingshot it that cable breakage is rare to non-existent.
    The majority of breakages have occurred when a Slingshot rider got tangled up with an automobile.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    While I would love to try out a slingshot, I fear I am too large and would fall into that rare cable breakage category. Or the fiber board.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108
    While I would love to try out a slingshot, I fear I am too large and would fall into that rare cable breakage category. Or the fiber board.
    I was looking at the farmboy a while back... had the same question and they got back to me quickly...

ME:
    hello

I was wondering if there is a weight limit to your bike frames... specifically the farmboy... if so what is it?

thanks
    mark
    reply:
    Hi Mark,

Thank you for the inquiry. I would say the weight limit would be around 300lbs....Honestly we have had some very big riders on our bikes with no issues. Please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Thank you.

Aaron Joppe
    International and Domestic Sales Manager
    SLINGSHOT BIKES
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I guess that you would have two years of a full warrantied factory frame to find out. Frame failure can occur on many "high quality" frames. We had a 2007 Gary Fisher Super Caliber 29er break at Moab this spring. Glad that GF stood behind their product, shipped out a new frame and paid for bike rental. Slingshot seems to have the same desire to provide good customer service although I have not had to test it yet.

mtbr member
    Be sure to post pictures if it breaks and let us know how they take care of you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well that is good to know. I am 260#. I will keep this in mind for the future, since I already bought a Vassago and am in the midst of the build.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast