mtbr member

2009 Rockshox 29er Reba Team Dual Air 120 mm MXL

Ok, I have a SS Surly 1x1 and I was thinking of making it as a 69er. I talked about getting the fork before I invest time and study about the outcome.

I got lucky with this brand new fork as a gift late last year as a Xmas gift. After talking to Surly and others, they say it is going to change the geometry of the bike and it is not going to do well.

I am now stuck. I test rode a 29er rigid bike and I can't get to find myself comfortable with the big wheel in front.

The fork is brand new. Do I keep it or sell it? or if you have a solution to make this right, please feel free to help me out here.

I have been searching the price and I know my family spend good amount of $$ on it, but I don't konw if I want to cut it and try it before I get some real good advise from the ones riding / sharing the same delema as I am in.

I was thinking of selling the fork and start with a new frame set. So guide me all you experts.

Thanks in advance.
    THOSE WHO KNOW, RIDE TURNER

lookin' for a hill
    sell me the fork and all your problems will fade away

MTB B'dos
    First up I'll say straight up, "I'm jealous" that's a fantastic fork and a super gift to get.Now on to your delema (wish I had this delema)...........You don't need to cut the steerer to try it, but once you install it it'll be used, so that's really a big call on your part.

As to what I might do and if a 69er is fun. I love 29ers so maybe I'm biased, but last year when my RIP9 frame cracked and I was without bike I decided to pop my 29er Reba into my old Trance frame and give it a go. Well it was totally fun, had a blast and the thing rode fantastic IMHO - all the big roll over attributes 29ers offer and super snappy acceleration of 26ers. What I had to do to make it work though was run the stem without spacers under it, drop travel to 80mm and run the smallest 29er tyre I had, but it worked and was fun.

If you don't already know it, the Rebas can be easily gotten into and the travel can be changed internally using spacers, so your 120mm Reba could actually be a 80mm Reba which would more suit your 1 x 1 and make it a 69er/96er. Or you could try converting the bike totally to a 29er as I think that a 29er knobby fits into the 1 x 1 frame easily OR if you still have the 5spot you could pop that sucka on there at full 120mm travel with a Rampage on a Stans Flow based wheel and have a real blast

Here's a shot of my Trance 69nd.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info. You have given me so many ideas. I am going to start doing some testings. Your Giant looks nice by the way.
    THOSE WHO KNOW, RIDE TURNER

not so super...
    I think a 650b wheel fits on the rear of the Spot (might need a Sultan seat or chainstay - don't recall what DT told me) and with a 120 Reba should make an interesting ride

MTB B'dos

Excellent idea...........

.........650B-9er SPOT
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I think a 650b wheel fits on the rear of the Spot (might need a Sultan seat or chainstay - don't recall what DT told me) and with a 120 Reba should make an interesting ride
    Glad to help, let us know what you decide. Thanks on the Trance, when I get the time and funds it'll get it's 650B front wheel and get riden again.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6packguywith5spot
    Thanks for all the info. You have given me so many ideas. I am going to start doing some testings. Your Giant looks nice by the way.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics