mtbr member
    May 2011

2009 Niner Air 9 versus 2010 Stumpjumper FSR 29er Comp

Newbie part 3. Ok, I've been here before trying to fugure out which bike to buy. No luck yet.

I'm come across two totally different bikes that I have the option to buy either for less than$1,900.00.

I ride 1/2 the time on bike paths around Denver during the week and a Front Range (Colroado) trail on the weekend or around Vail. I like light bikes for climbing, but appreciate FS on the way down. Haven't tried 29er on the trail yet. I'm 5'10" and 175 pounds

The AIR 9 was raced for a year and then put to rest. It has XTR or XO on everything. Stans Wheelset. Fox Fork. It weighs 23 pounds. Should I be concerned about the durability of the Air 9 after a season of racing?It shows signs of wear, but rides nicely. I'm going to ride with the owner tomorrow on some trails. I like the geo in the niner.

The Stumperjumper is the stock 2010 FSR 29er Comp. Maybe ridden 2-3 times. I'm going to see it in a day or two. I'd like to be able to take it on the trail, but no dice. I think weighs about 29 pounds.

I'm leaning toward the Stumpjumper since I'm 43 and body enjoy plush downhill rides, but the AIR 9 would be much better for 80% of my riding since I don't have a road bike.

I think both are pretty good deals.

Ideally, I'd like to get a SpearFish or Jet, but both are over my budget, although the spearfish is close. I really like geo of niners. An MCR Niner might work too, but again, over my budget. I really need to trail demo these things.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Personally I ride for the enjoyment and workout of it. If you aren't worried about weight the Stumpy is a great bike and it is PLUSH you will be able to ride all day on it. BUT the weight difference between the two is huge. Personally I would ride both and decide then since both are very different bikes. With the modern pro-pedal/lockout shocks the FS vs HT climbing difference is just not that big of a deal and honestly my FS climbes better that my HT because the rear stays 'planted' on the ground. But the weight penelty is still there. Hope that helps somewhat. If you are worried about your back go FS to me no question, if you are worried about the weight of long climbs then go HT.