mtbr member
    Feb 2006

2008 Raleigh XXIX rigid fork length & rake?

I bought a yellow 2008 XXIX+G frame off Ebay that I am waiting for so I have been researching old threads and am getting a lot of conflicting information. It has been said that Raleigh has kept the frame angles the same but just changed forks through the years. I also own a 2011 XXIX fork but it is 490MM long . Given that the Raleigh catalogs have consistency shown 71* head angles regardless of the fork seems to indicate either they misstated the geometry or they changed the frames? Anybody have a 2008 rigid fork which looks to be around 460mm looking at the catalog photo and the distance between tire and crown and actually measured the HA. Raleigh also lists the rake consistently at 40mm yet mine measure's around 44mm by my crude flop method of measuring against a BB point and flipping fork and dividing by 2. Any input here would be appreciated- FRED .

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Digging thru more old threads Guitar Ted seems to think this is a good match.
    Amazon.com: Origin8 Cromo-Lite Combo MTN Fork - 26/29", Threadless, 1-1/8" OD, Black: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have an older XXIX(?year)with the original boat-anchor steel fork which I use as a commuter. the fork AC length is about 430mm and a rough estimate of the rake is 35mm.

mark

metrotuned WoS

Good job! XXIX frame needs a carbon fork or a lightweight steel / ti fork.

I found the best match to the Raleigh XXIX to be the Ritchey 26" suspension corrected fork. I believe it was 440mm. I had a 420 Pace RC31 carbon on there and I am using the Niner 470 on another frame (the Superfly team SS) ... all in all, the Ritchey carbon Pro fork is up there, especially with the looks and feel, makes the XXIX nimble and light up front. The stock unicrown full rigid steel disc fork is a dog, ditching the fork really livens up the frameset package (geometry is spot on and aggressive). Here's an example of the XXIX Large frame with a 26" suspension corrected carbon fork. It has the aluminum steerer tube and was still 1/3 the weight, 2x the stiffness, and 3x more enjoyable compared to the stock fork.

2008 Raleigh XXIX rigid fork length & rake?-metrotuned-scraper-seven-sisters.jpg
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    I found the best match to the Raleigh XXIX to be the Ritchey 26" suspension corrected fork. I believe it was 440mm. I had a 420 Pace RC31 carbon on there and I am using the Niner 470 on another frame (the Superfly team SS) ... all in all, the Ritchey carbon Pro fork is up there, especially with the looks and feel, makes the XXIX nimble and light up front. The stock unicrown full rigid steel disc fork is a dog, ditching the fork really livens up the frameset package (geometry is spot on and aggressive). Here's an example of the XXIX Large frame with a 26" suspension corrected carbon fork. It has the aluminum steerer tube and was still 1/3 the weight, 2x the stiffness, and 3x more enjoyable compared to the stock fork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metrotuned-scraper-seven-sisters.jpg 
Views:	1409 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	820247
    I went with a 440mm fork also, a Soma Tange Infininty built steel fork. CrMo MTB Disc Fork | SOMA Fabrications . I am very happy with this set up. Nice compliant ride , front and rear, spot on handling without being twitchy, handles switchbacks easily. My angle finder reads 72 degree head angle.