N8!
    mtbr member

2007: The year the 29er moves from the fringe to the mainstream

Reading all the stuff here on MTBR's Interbike coverage and various other places, it looks like the 29" wheeled platform has been totally embraced by the industry and is here to stay.

There are literally dozens of choices in frames and there number of 29er specific accessories (forks/tires/wheels/etc) continues to grow.

Here's to The Year of the 29er!

Recovering couch patato
    Yeah, I'm amazed.
    Has anyone kept count of tires? We seem to double the number of choices over 2006.

WTB Weirwolf 2.55LP
    Geax 2.2
    Michelin 2.1
    Kenda Nevegal 2.2
    Kenda small Block 8 2.2 announced
    Kenda Karma 2.2 (what we had is now called 1.9) loe the looks of the 2.2!
    Hutchinson Python (really pic-confirmed yet?)
    Halo tire 2.3
    Panaracer Rampage 2.3

What am I missing? A rumored Specialized 2.2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was thinking the same thing. This is the year of the 29er, and maybe I will not get as many weird looks or comments like those are some big wheels on the trail as much.

Dr. Frost
    Yeah, dang, now everybody's got'em. My secret weapon against my homies is gone!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    It's not a homerun...the ball is still in the park...

this is my impression after attending Interbike a few days...

it's a double maybe...

just remember...most manuf.'s think in terms of tens of thousands of bikes sold...

bcd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Yeah, I'm amazed.
    Has anyone kept count of tires? We seem to double the number of choices over 2006.

WTB Weirwolf 2.55LP

Kenda Nevegal 2.2

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by N8!
    Reading all the stuff here on MTBR's Interbike coverage and various other places, it looks like the 29" wheeled platform has been totally embraced by the industry and is here to stay.

There are literally dozens of choices in frames and there number of 29er specific accessories (forks/tires/wheels/etc) continues to grow.

And in a year all the trendoids will move onto 36" uni-cycles.

EDIT: Just for you Padre. You know I'm half joking.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    Yeah, dang, now everybody's got'em. My secret weapon against my homies is gone!
    I think us 29er are still a tiny niche.

Often times hanging out and reading this forum, I feel like 29ers are everywhere. But once I hit my local trails and local bike shops, it's apparent that I am the odd duck.

I do hope 29ers get everywhere. Will mean shops will stock tires/tubes and let's hope this offering of more and more tires continues
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah, I'm amazed.

WTB Weirwolf 2.55LP
    Geax 2.2
    Michelin 2.1
    Kenda Nevegal 2.2
    Halo tire 2.3
    Panaracer Rampage 2.3

How about the new Bontrager tires? Something like the Dry X? And something bigger?

Recovering couch patato
    In a few years, being a mtbiker will be as before. Others do the same, and you can buy parts everywhere. Boring, really :-) Just slightly better bikes for everyone.

Governments will have to set up 26" bike recycling programs, the resale value is going to be so low, millions of bikes are going to be dumped along trails otherwise... Frames, forks, wheels. So sad...for the evironment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N8!

I don't see anyone riding carbon fibre snowbikes, which were the 2 vogue items at last years Interbike.

I am continually puzzled by the way were are labelling bikes by wheelsize. It's dumb. You would not buy a car or motorcycle by a wheelsize designation.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by brant@on-one.co.uk
    I am continually puzzled by the way were are labelling bikes by wheelsize. It's dumb. You would not buy a car or motorcycle by a wheelsize designation.
    But you do buy a motorcycle by engine displacement size, irrespective of fit, and that makes less sense to me. The same 250cc dirt bike is supposed to fit a guy who's 5'7" and a guy who's 6'4"?

Always Learning
    Governments will have to set up 26" bike recycling programs, the resale value is going to be so low, millions of bikes are going to be dumped along trails otherwise... Frames, forks, wheels. So sad...for the evironment.
    Not true. We need to outfit all the kids with bikes to ride.

BB

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    But you do buy a motorcycle by engine displacement size, irrespective of fit, and that makes less sense to me. The same 250cc dirt bike is supposed to fit a guy who's 5'7" and a guy who's 6'4"?

Suprisingly, yes.

Having a nice day!
    Funny, but I don't think of 29ers as being out of the mainstream any longer, and I don't even ride one. I have many friends who ride them though, and for their sake I wish the bicycle industry would provide more options. I think with the sheer number of 29er bikes offered now you will soon see it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was under the impression that WTB would have more than one new large volume 29er tire at the show, but all I've seen posted is the WWLT. Can anybody shed any light on that?

Yeah, I'm amazed.

WTB Weirwolf 2.55LP
    Geax 2.2
    Michelin 2.1
    Kenda Nevegal 2.2
    Halo tire 2.3
    Panaracer Rampage 2.3

bcd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    Funny, but I don't think of 29ers as being out of the mainstream any longer, and I don't even ride one. I have many friends who ride them though, and for their sake I wish the bicycle industry would provide more options. I think with the sheer number of 29er bikes offered now you will soon see it.
    all i saw was the wwlt

here are some good looking 26's that i wish were on 29 cassings.

nice blocs!

Recovering couch patato
    I also found pictural evidence on twentynineinches.com of the Maxxis Crossmark, and a lower-end "Ninja" branded tire. Still none of the Hutchinson, is it just a myth?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

N8!
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    2007 will be interesting in regards to 29er products, and embracement from the mtb community. However, 2008 will be the year when several larger manufacturers' 29er production times will come to fruition and will force the 29inch platform onto every bicycle shop showroom floor. 2008 will also grace us with race level equipped big wheels in the $4k - $5k, range fresh off the showroom floor. Any manufacturer, at that point, who is not offering a decent 29er range will be something of a curiosity!

Lastly, 2008 will usher in a flooding of 26 inch bikes, being sacrificed for pennies on the dollar, on ebay.

W3rd!!!!

It hath come to pass..