mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2007 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Input Needed! Considering buying

I am considering coming to the dark side and buying a 29er to go along with my current fleet of 26ers (HT/Jump, FS). I stumbled upon a local guy selling his 2007 GF X-Caliber (stock) just looking for some opinions/ input.

Year - 2007
    Fork - Reba SL Air 29 (Dual Air)
    Component Set - X7

Questions

1. Thoughts on the Reba SL DA? (I have all Fox on all bikes)
    2. How awful is the wheelset? (Bontrager superstock 29)
    3. Whats it Worth??
    4. Any input at all on the bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Not to be negative, but GF bike frames broke allot. Do a search here
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    When you go dark you never go back. Consider this before you get your 29er

ready to ride
    FWIW the xcals,cobra, etc weren't the ones with broken frame issues. Now I did bend my 2007 Cobia frame but I blame the tree I wrapped it around.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 2007 bike. I bought my 2007 used in 2009 and it wasn't long before I was having to put some money into the drive train etc. if it was in great condition I might consider $400

Not sure what your budget is in the first place or if you work on your own bike. But a 2007 is likely going to need some work done it if it has been ridden. Especially if its stock..
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Depends on the price and the condition, recent maintenance, etc. Is the X-caliber a cool bike by design? Sure, but it all comes down to weighing the condition of the bike vs the cost here.

I say no more than $500 if it is in very good condition.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    FWIW the xcals,cobra, etc weren't the ones with broken frame issues. Now I did bend my 2007 Cobia frame but I blame the tree I wrapped it around.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 2007 bike. I bought my 2007 used in 2009 and it wasn't long before I was having to put some money into the drive train etc. if it was in great condition I might consider $400

Not sure what your budget is in the first place or if you work on your own bike. But a 2007 is likely going to need some work done it if it has been ridden. Especially if its stock..
    Thanks for the input, for some reason I thought it was worth much more (600 or so). Honestly I don't really have a set budget, I have a great fleet of bikes at the moment but I want a 29er. I'm just looking for a 29er HT with X7/XT components and something on pair with a Float (so a Reba would be ok). Any advise on what I should look for? I would like to stay under 800, and I do all my own work (Fork service, bleeds, wheelsets, ect..)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    Depends on the price and the condition, recent maintenance, etc. Is the X-caliber a cool bike by design? Sure, but it all comes down to weighing the condition of the bike vs the cost here.

I say no more than $500 if it is in very good condition.
    Its in great shape and the Reba was just serviced (plus I do all my maintenance anyway). Any advice on what I should be looking for? Trying to stay under 800, looking for a HT (mid level, Fox/Reba, X7ish)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You'll have a hard time finding a 29er with a reba quality fork and x7 components for under 800 brand new. It will pretty much have to be used. The Original MSRP for that bike is just over 1300. I don't pay over half for used bikes, especially for pre 2010 bikes. I would agree with no more than 500, IF it is in good condition. Also, I disagree with gary fisher frames falling apart. My 2006 Tassahara HT still works great, and climbs hills like a billy goat. Over 1500 miles, and no problems to date.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Then again, I don't have a gary fisher DH frame for DH/AM riding. I do mostly xc/light mountain riding.