singletrack lush

2 year warranty on a carbon frame, deal breaker?

I'm in the process of looking for a new carbon hardtial, and some of the frames that I am considering are the Niner Air 9, Cannondale F29, and Intense's Hard Eddie.
    Almost pulled the trigger on the Intense before realizing that they only offer a 2yr warranty compared to 5yrs for Niner and I believe lifetime for Cannondale? Should that be a deal breaker? Other then the warranty this bike has everything I'm looking for.
    Not sure if that should be an issue, but would like to ask those of you that have had experience dealing with Intense's warranty/ CS, and how they handle things past the 2yr mark.

mtbr member
    Depends on the price. If it is much cheaper than the other two it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me unless the frame has a history of premature failure. Also keep in mind you can have carbon repaired (and it isn't that expensive).
    Signature

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The warranty should be a consideration but I base my decision more on the geo and what type of handling I prefer. I have a Big Top which has almost identical geo to the Intense and it handles notably different than a Niner. Never ridden a Cannondale.

mtbr member
    2 years is plenty of time for a warranty. I think carbon issues would most likely be early hour failures. I.e. of it doesn't break in first month of regular riding you are safe. However warranty does not imply crash damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    2 years is plenty of time for a warranty. I think carbon issues would most likely be early hour failures. I.e. of it doesn't break in first month of regular riding you are safe. However warranty does not imply crash damage.
    I have a Yeti ASR carbon and it cracked 18 months after the purchase date, I have a new frame which is covered by the balance of warranty which is 3 1/2 years. I would be very worried if I only had a 2 year warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    2yr seems kind short to me.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Grew up in a time when lifetime warranty was the norm, and bikes were expected to last a good long time.

If you're content with a manufacturer telling you they trust their product to last two years, after which, it's basically garbage if it fails, all good.

I'm not.

Jamis offers lifetime warranty on their carbon frames FWIW....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Jamis offers lifetime warranty on their carbon frames FWIW....

Orbea also offers lifetime warranty on their carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am currently refusing to pull the trigger on a Niner because the warranty is not acceptable to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I believe Santa Cruz only has a two year warranty on their carbon bikes. I see a lot more Santa Cruz bikes on the trails than Niner and Intense. There is no conclusion, just my observation...

Hey Mendon....what type of warranty does Lenz Sport have? I know they aren't carbon frames but I'm curious...

change is good
    Sep 2004
    A life time warranty is of little value if a manufacturer will not honor it, charges depreciation, claims crash damage, keeps low inventories, does not correct weaknesses in future product runs, communicates sporadically, etc.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I am currently refusing to pull the trigger on a Niner because the warranty is not acceptable to me.
    Me to, I was going to get an Air 9 a few months ago (ended up getting a TREK Superfly AL instead!!)--And it is the BEST H.T. I have ever ridden (with this geometry---and lifetime warranty) after my old used Paragon had no warranty (and cracked 3 years after I built it!!)---- still waiting for my XX Fork for this one...
    Last edited by 247; 12-13-2012 at 09:54 PM.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slo4U View Post
    I believe Santa Cruz only has a two year warranty on their carbon bikes. I see a lot more Santa Cruz bikes on the trails than Niner and Intense. There is no conclusion, just my observation...

Hey Mendon....what type of warranty does Lenz Sport have? I know they aren't carbon frames but I'm curious...
    True SC only has a 2 year warranty and i almost didn't buy an SC because of it. After talking to a few people who have made warranty claims , reading what others have said on this forum about warranty claims, and what the bike store said about their experience withe claims on SC bikes. It seems that they follow this rule of thumb per their website.

No-Fault Replacement
    Santa Cruz Bicycles will make replacement parts available to the original owner at a minimal charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation for the life of the bike.

From what I have gathered that minimal charge is usually nothing. I hope I don't have to make a claim on my bike but if I do I feel pretty comfortable they will stand behind their product,

Also, I have seen this with other sporting goods products. Companies who offer carte blanche lifetime warranties end up having to build the cost of that warranty into the MSRP.

I'd say 2 years is ample time for a manufacturing defect to rear its head. Outside of that its because we are riding and beating the hell out of our bikes. At least I hope that's what you are doing, otherwise you aren't having too much fun. So if I fubar my frame or bike because of normal wear, tear, and abuse, I'm OK with paying a minimal charge for a crash replacement.

Could you buy a new car, ride the hell out of it, run it into a ditch and bend the frame and take it back to the manufacturer for a crash replacement? I think not.

Single Speed Junkie
    Warranty is one consideration in looking at a new bike. Friend had an old Trek Y frame bike and I would assume he would be SOL. Yet trek offered him about a grand off a new bike or replacement frame with a current model. He took the grand off and jumped into a 29er. After 10 years of riding and use he was still able to get some help from the mfg on a new bike.

Since I'm currently in the market I'm looking at a number of different mfgs and specs. Waiting to test ride a few models prior to making a decision. Feedback from this site on how a mfg stands behind their product is a factor, but will not over shadow how the bike rides and build quality.

If you like the bike then give it a shot. Warranty is like insurance, it is a feature you hope you will never use.

banned
    I cant afford a carbon frame. If I could, I'd purchase custom steal or off the shelf TI.

Warrenty would be in the top three concerns when shopping for an expensive frame/bike.

As someone else mentioned. What ever happened to "durable goods"?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slo4U View Post
    You know? I've never asked. Since you're working with one persons stuff, it's a bit different, more personal.

What I do know is that if something legitimately broke, Devin would make it right, in a way that was fair, based on the situation.

Fell off your car roof @75mph? Not his problem.

Do a jump[ and the head tube shears off, I'm quite confident he'd take care of it.

He's always willing to take frames back to make repairs as needed.

Basically, he just stands behind what he makes.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    You know? I've never asked. Since you're working with one persons stuff, it's a bit different, more personal.

What I do know is that if something legitimately broke, Devin would make it right, in a way that was fair, based on the situation.

Fell off your car roof @75mph? Not his problem.

Do a jump[ and the head tube shears off, I'm quite confident he'd take care of it.

He's always willing to take frames back to make repairs as needed.

Basically, he just stands behind what he makes.
    Thanks for the info. I had a MilkMoney for about year. It was a great bike. I think I was the third owner and I never worried about a needing a warranty.

Sorry to derail the thread....carry on

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marzz View Post
    Not sure if that should be an issue, but would like to ask those of you that have had experience dealing with Intense's warranty/ CS, and how they handle things past the 2yr mark.
    Two years against manufacturing defects is pretty standard for bikes, the logic being that if makes it two years it's not faulty. Ask about crash replacement options for the Intense, also ask owners how Intense back up it's warranties.

It's not viable for medium-smaller companies to offer lifetime warranties, they don't have the money or spare capacity to keep stocks of parts/frames long term or hand out brand new ones the way Trek/Giant often do.
    Even so a lot will do right by their customers long after the warranty is expired. Case in point, Santa Cruz gave one of my friends a free rear triangle for his Mk1 Blur last year after the original cracked. Despite it being a 2002-3 frame with a two year warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    this should be required reading for all carbon frame owners.

Carbon repair: Options for repairing carbon bike frames