Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2 Souls Cycles All Mountain Hardtail + Video

Some of you might know my videos, bringing a knife to a gunfight (e.g.: 29er-rocks on Vimeo). After 2 or 3 years riding nothing else than the rigid single speed it was time for something more adequate. Unfortunately there is not a big market for all mountain hardtails, so I had a hard time finding a bike that fits my requirements:

- low and slack front
    - short chainstays
    - enough space for high volume tires
    - possibility to lower the whole seatpost
    - available this year

By chance I found a small German bike manufacturer (2 Souls Cycles), who posted this geo-chart on his blog:

BAM thatís it! After some e-mails and telephone conversations they offered me to test their prototype.

Seattube:

Iíve the bike since Tuesday and spend every free minute on it. Rides even better, than I expected Ė so much fun! This bike is flickable (super short chainstays) and stable (big wheels) at the same time. I havenít had so much airtime with any other bike on my hometrails and my bike buddies on their 26Ē FS have a hard time following me, even though the prototype is a Large Ė the Medium would fit me better. The only drawback is the reba.

Yesterday in the evening we shot a spontaneous video with minimal effort. I hope youíll enjoy it anyhow.

29er - Games from amotion.at on Vimeo.

Last edited by krull; 08-13-2011 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just found a summary on twentynineinches.com: Euro News: New 29″er From 2Souls Cycles | Twenty Nine Inches

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    cost? i like this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowme17 View Post
    cost? i like this
    The 900 Euro price quoted in the twentynineinches article converts to about $1280 US

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    The 900 Euro price quoted in the twentynineinches article converts to about $1280 US
    You'll need to detract German VAT from that price (which is 19%, I think) for buyers outside EU.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojos Azules View Post
    You'll need to detract German VAT from that price (which is 19%, I think) for buyers outside EU.
    Good point, and that brings it closer to $1000 for the frame

mtbr member
    The only thing that concerns me about this otherwise fine looking bike is the big hole in the bottom of the down tube, a big mud n' crud catcher me thinks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If a bike needs to be ridden like a trials bike I don't want one!

Bikes!
    Great videos, I love the look of 2 Souls frames too!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbem View Post
    The only thing that concerns me about this otherwise fine looking bike is the big hole in the bottom of the down tube, a big mud n' crud catcher me thinks.
    i think you mean seat tube, but yeah... seems like it could get crap in it.

i really like the frame... nice execution and that finish is killer. i don't really want, need, or like that geo, but the frame is still really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

local trails rider
    Is that finish powder coat or that ceramic thing they've put on some frames?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

small member
    Jun 2006
    duct tape.

JB
    Sweet video! I like the geo and size options, but wonder why the ST is so slack? Seems like that would make steep technical climbing difficult.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Sweet video! I like the geo and size options, but wonder why the ST is so slack? Seems like that would make steep technical climbing difficult.
    It looks like the actual STA is listed...no doubt the effective STA would be steeper and more in line with what you would expect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I need that hole for the 40cm seatpost. Why should mud be a problem? It will come out , where it came in, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Is that finish powder coat or that ceramic thing they've put on some frames?
    Frame and cranks have a ceramic coating.
    Last edited by krull; 08-16-2011 at 05:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Great vid, great looking bike!

Makes me wanna build a HT now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    this bike is gorgeous IMHO. a few noob questions though... what are the advantages of a slacker head tube angle - is it stability? also i see people asking for shorter chainstays, what are the advantages of that?

thanks mtbr, you guys are all awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I like it! I also like the song at the end of the video, good beat to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm glad that you like the video.

Quote Originally Posted by tedlove View Post
    this bike is gorgeous IMHO. a few noob questions though... what are the advantages of a slacker head tube angle - is it stability? also i see people asking for shorter chainstays, what are the advantages of that?

thanks mtbr, you guys are all awesome.
    In short:

A slacker head angle provides a stable ride und helps in steep descents.

Short Chainstays provide a playful handling and makes it easier to manual (and to bunny hop).

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    interesting look for a bike

Dinner for wolves
    Looks like the kissing cousin of a ByStickel. I, too, wonder about the decision to keep the seat tube open and exposed. But Krull knows best with that regard, as he is the guy actually riding it. Great bike. Great vid. Thx.
    Responds to gravity

local trails rider
    Interesting look?

The seat tube treatment is the only thing I find a bit unusual. There have been a number of 26" bikes with roughly similar frame configurations. It is not totally different from the By:Stickel frames that I've seen posted either.

Unless you ride in really messy conditions, the seat tube thing is probably no problem at all: from the front, the down tube deflects most of the crud and from the rear it hits the other side of the tube

.... Is there a hole in the tube junction there, or is it closed? If it is closed, it would prevent water from seeping into BB area through the seat tube. Sometimes dirt can collect into a seat tube over time and getting it clean again would be easier when the tube is open at both ends.

Those adjustable dropouts are pretty good BTW. I had a 2soulscycles 26" HT and the dropouts did exactly what they are supposed to do. Several European custom builders use them too.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Looks like the kissing cousin of a ByStickel. I, too, wonder about the decision to keep the seat tube open and exposed. But Krull knows best with that regard, as he is the guy actually riding it. Great bike. Great vid. Thx.
    Nearly every 29er (diamond frame) with short chainstays and a low standover-height will look like a By:Stickel. It's a hardtail mountainbike, so there aren't many ways to go. By the way, the chainstays and the bottom bracket section are very different from By:Stickel frames. Does anybody know if a 2,4" Ardent fits into the By:Stickel Frame? Whats the minimum chainstay lenght of a By:Stickel?

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Interesting look?

The seat tube treatment is the only thing I find a bit unusual. There have been a number of 26" bikes with roughly similar frame configurations. It is not totally different from the By:Stickel frames that I've seen posted either.

Unless you ride in really messy conditions, the seat tube thing is probably no problem at all: from the front, the down tube deflects most of the crud and from the rear it hits the other side of the tube

.... Is there a hole in the tube junction there, or is it closed? If it is closed, it would prevent water from seeping into BB area through the seat tube. Sometimes dirt can collect into a seat tube over time and getting it clean again would be easier when the tube is open at both ends.

Those adjustable dropouts are pretty good BTW. I had a 2soulscycles 26" HT and the dropouts did exactly what they are supposed to do. Several European custom builders use them too.
    There isn't a hole in the tube junction - it's closed. I like the dropouts too, but they need wide chainstays, what reduces the heel clearance. The frames come with dropouts for the X12 axle too, if you like.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by krull View Post
    I like the dropouts too, but they need wide chainstays, what reduces the heel clearance.
    I seem to rub my heels on chainstays on just about any MTB frame. I don't notice it while riding but see the scuffs on the stays. My 2souls was no different in that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krull View Post
    Does anybody know if a 2,4" Ardent fits into the By:Stickel Frame? Whats the minimum chainstay lenght of a By:Stickel?
    Yes, my friend has a 2.4 Ardent on his Stickel with the chainstays set at 16.3".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast