mtbr member
    May 2013

2 bent rims in 2 months

I'm a beginner and I'm not a big guy. I'm 5'4" 140lbs maybe w/ gear on. I have a 2013 Specialized Camber 29er. Within 3 weeks of riding I bent the front rim. Got another wheel ($80 alex rim) Bent that one yesterday. I bought a $90 Sta-True TNT wheel.

What killed my alex rim was jumping a log and landing on another log. I'm a xc rider and like hopping logs and such. Is bending front wheels just a part of biking? If you crash ur front wheel is the 1st to take the impact. Or do I really just suck at XC and should I just stick to hockey?

Both rims were 32 spoke count.

But I love biking and I just wonder if bending wheels is a common thing with either crashing or 29ers

There's always next year.
    Others with more knowledge may come around, but my honest first thought is that you may need to work on your mtb skills-- if you're coming down directly on a log (depending on height, speed, etc) you'll most likely have a problem on your hands (from a crash to broken parts).

Its also likely that the first rim needed some attention... its not uncommon for wheels (especially lower end models) to need to be re-trued, adjusted after a few weeks of riding... and that may have contributed to bending the rim.

I'm assuming you've talked to the shop where you picked up the Camber? Warranty might have be out of the question, but they may have been able to do something for you. Also, they might be able to help you with skills development and finding group rides... both are a great way to get better at the sport! Stick with it... biking's a lot of fun!

mtbr member
    We all break stuff in the beginning. Once your technique gets better, you'll learn to ride smoother and in turn put less stress on your bike.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    If it's a new bike from a shop I would take it back and get them to check all your spoke tensions and how true your rims are asap. I bought a new bike from a shop and had about 6 months of constant wheel troubles no matter how much I got the spokes tensioned and the wheels trued. Eventually the shop sent it to the distributor who pulled all the spokes off and the rim was totally warped from the beginning. It had nothing to do with my riding, it was just a bad set of rims from the factory. Replaced free of charge and no trouble since even with some excessive stacks.

I understand you are a beginner and you might not have pro technique but you bought a good reputable bike and it's a MTB after all... it's designed for bashing the heck out of, so I don't believe you should be having issues with gear so early on.

Other side note is to check your front fork pressure. If it's set too hard it's not going to absorb any impact and your wheels are gonna take the brunt.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yea, I'll check my fork pressure. It's a 100mm plush. I have preload more towards the + and same w/ rebound. I like soft but responsive. I'm done w/ the bike shop I originally bought it from. After it bent the 1st time they didnt do anything. Wouldnt submit a warranty claim (even to try) Then they tried to sell me a Mavic wheel w/ a warranty. I walked out of there the last time pretty much saying F-u. And they did a bunch of other shady things that I wont go into cause' it doesnt apply to just the wheel.

I do agree I am a beginner, so I guess I'll break stuff until I refine technique?
    As far as riding groups, idk. Everything I do I am self taught at, so it would be kinda weird w/ other people.

The log wipeout lol. I clearerd the 2nd log the first time, so I didnt even notice it. 2nd time I got more height on the jump and less distance, landing me right on the second log, balls.

Thanks everyone for your positive and encouraging advise

Kevin

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Many floor bikes are equipped with wheels that are build by machines especially entry to mid level bikes.

I have been building wheels professionally for the last 7yrs and can tell you that machine build wheels leave many things to be desired. First and foremost is even spoke tension. Out of my 7 years building in high volumes I have had 1 wheel come back and it was not a mtn or touring wheel.... it was a front wheel for a larger man who demanded radial lacing on a 36h wheel. This was against my recommendations, but not everyone out there understands that looks and longevity can be a select only one check box.

Have your preferred shops experienced mechanic go over all the tensions in your wheels used or new. This is not a task for their part time high school student. I would most definitely not let my niece mount a spare on my car. What a good deal of people overlook when building wheels is that they can be a matter of life and death. This is the only thing propelling you and contacting the ground. Should one catastrophically fail because of a poor build, you have busted teeth, neck or even worse end up in a ravine.

I often liken wheels to shoes... if you played any sort of sports that needed specialty shoes in HS or college you did not buy K-mart or Wal-mart shoes you sought out adidas or nike because they are purpose built and with stand that abuse you will throw at them. A solid set of wheels is one of the best upgrades you can make to any bike. Hub adjustments, wheel durability etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This Hope Pro2 Evo wheel from Wiggle for 141 with an ArchEx rim will be strong enough to handle your riding.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    Says Arch 29 but is Ex.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

2 bent rims in 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    This Hope Pro2 Evo wheel from Wiggle for 141 with an ArchEx rim will be strong enough to handle your riding.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    Says Arch 29 but is Ex.
    I would never put a beginner with a history of bending rims on an Arch, EX or not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jbent View Post
    Many floor bikes are equipped with wheels that are build by machines especially entry to mid level bikes.

I have been building wheels professionally for the last 7yrs and can tell you that machine build wheels leave many things to be desired. First and foremost is even spoke tension. Out of my 7 years building in high volumes I have had 1 wheel come back and it was not a mtn or touring wheel.... it was a front wheel for a larger man who demanded radial lacing on a 36h wheel. This was against my recommendations, but not everyone out there understands that looks and longevity can be a select only one check box.

Have your preferred shops experienced mechanic go over all the tensions in your wheels used or new. This is not a task for their part time high school student. I would most definitely not let my niece mount a spare on my car. What a good deal of people overlook when building wheels is that they can be a matter of life and death. This is the only thing propelling you and contacting the ground. Should one catastrophically fail because of a poor build, you have busted teeth, neck or even worse end up in a ravine.

I often liken wheels to shoes... if you played any sort of sports that needed specialty shoes in HS or college you did not buy K-mart or Wal-mart shoes you sought out adidas or nike because they are purpose built and with stand that abuse you will throw at them. A solid set of wheels is one of the best upgrades you can make to any bike. Hub adjustments, wheel durability etc.
    Please. Send me one of your rear wheels and I'll fix it right up and throw it out of true. I've built wheels for many years and sometimes a checkup is necessary for machine built wheels after a couple rides, at which point it will then be just as solid thereafter, but it's nowhere near what you are making it out to be.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You have to ride something. The FlowEx is stronger but a little heavier for the same money. You can also choose that from the same link. Ask for 15mm end caps for future use to go with the QR ones not 20mm. Choose whichever you like. Either are better than the one you tried.
    If you were a bad rider as a beginner you would have bent a rear rim by now.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' weigh 170lb and mainly XC. I 1st started riding on a cheap hybrid for the 1st 7 months when I started riding and found I liked riding off road more than on tarmac, the wheels keep going out of true. Then built up my 1st mtb a Chinese carbon 29er with Arch rims (non EX) and Hope Pro2 evo hubs built by crc uk. The back wheel had done 11,000+km before I needed to touch the spokes to true the wheel three weeks ago and that was because a branch jammed between the rear derailleur and wheel locking up the back wheel bending spokes and RD hanger, snapping off the bottom of the derailleur wreaking teeth on the cassette and stretching the shifter cable damaging the internal cable inner in the frame. Also think it damaged the pawl springs too as pulled off the freewheel week later to find 3 of them broken. The front wheel has been trued once and rim got replace early this year after I dropped it into grass covered crack in the ground caused by the recent earthquakes we have had here in Canterbury, it folded the rim. I've had a good run out of mine, just don't hit things
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    We all break stuff in the beginning. Once your technique gets better, you'll learn to ride smoother and in turn put less stress on your bike.
    Truth, I spend hundreds on parts when I first got started..

MTB B'dos
    Low end wheels are notorious for being badly built with lack of lube/prep and that causes a lot of the issues, especially from the bigS. I had a guy with a Rockhopper have spokes breaking almost immediately, after the 3rd or 4th I told him a rebuild would be a good idea, when I stripped it down there was no lube/grease at all. Rebuilt the wheel using DT Swiss DB spokes and it's been good now for over 4 years and he weighs over 220lbs.

All that being said, you're now learning, doesn't matter what you weigh, if you ride like a hack/bash into stuff you're going to bend/break stuff, work on your technique. FYI for me, my front wheel is the one I don't worry about because you can see it and where it's going, it's normally the rear that takes the abuse as you generally direct the front and let the back go/hit whatever
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    I have ~2K miles on my Alex Built Carve rims, my rear wheel needed truing after about 1.2K miles. I am close to 300 lbs and ride road and trails. No big issues with breakage yet. I just took the bike to Angle Fire NM and was downhilling on it (Combi, Serria, Duke, Boulder dash, Angles Plunge). Bike is a XC hard tail with 80mm front Recon Silver, I am hard but smooth and these rims are holding up fine.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Tacoing wheels is pretty much always user error. Don't land directly on logs or big rocks with your front wheel.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yea, no bent/broken anything else. Nor cracked helmet. Just the front wheel. And I did not land on the log on purpose lol. But everything is a learning experience

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy31 View Post
    I'm a beginner and I'm not a big guy. I'm 5'4" 140lbs maybe w/ gear on. I have a 2013 Specialized Camber 29er. Within 3 weeks of riding I bent the front rim. Got another wheel ($80 alex rim) Bent that one yesterday. I bought a $90 Sta-True TNT wheel.

What killed my alex rim was jumping a log and landing on another log. I'm a xc rider and like hopping logs and such. Is bending front wheels just a part of biking? If you crash ur front wheel is the 1st to take the impact. Or do I really just suck at XC and should I just stick to hockey?

But I love biking and I just wonder if bending wheels is a common thing with either crashing or 29ers
    You just need to work on your technique. We all went through it in the beginning

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Where to? I will build it up special. Supercomps with 2.0 nipps. Has to be a front though. Failure in the rear you can ride out of. Nobody's front wheel has ever fallen out of their fork. They just invented lawyer tabs to add a few extra grams to the bike and to have a new 'standard' that nobody wants.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

What air pressure are you running?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    XC means your wheels should remain ON the ground. They are designed to roll fast on terra firma.....not hucked into the air repeatedly.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Never mauled a front wheel that wasnt my fault for a craptastic line or landing spot. Planting your front tire into a log after a jump is gona taco ANY wheel.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    XC means your wheels should remain ON the ground. They are designed to roll fast on terra firma.....not hucked into the air repeatedly.
    So what type of biking am I doing? I like to ride trails, but sometimes catch some air off logs and such.

And yes I know that. Landing on another log was not the best choice of landing spots

mtbr member
    So what type of biking am I doing? I like to ride trails, but sometimes catch some air off logs and such.

And yes I know that. Landing on another log was not the best choice of landing spots
    IMO, that is called mountain biking.

At some point, you will look back and laugh at all the stuff you trashed as a beginner.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein