mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2.6 wagon wheelers

anyone in here running 2.6 tires on their big wheeler? thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    not a lot of options out there right now, I'm definitely interested in this as well

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    not a lot of options out there right now, I'm definitely interested in this as well
    Agree.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    anyone in here running 2.6 tires on their big wheeler? thoughts?

Yep. 2.6" are better than 2.5", but I keep coming back to 3.0 as the best all-rounder. Typically using Bontrager Chupacabra's, which are lighter and grippier than they look, or than you'd think.

Sorry -- not an intentional thread drift, but it is an honest answer to the question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd like to see an XR2 Team 2.6.

mtbr member
    Some of my personal experience:

29x2.5 DHF (3 c maxterra) has a LOT of grip, does not roll well, and is heavy. It's possibly the best tire available when going down, but it's just too slow on flats and climbs for me.

29x2.6 nobby nic has a good amount of grip, rolls fairly well, and isn't too heavy. Not sure of the new compounds, but I preferred pacestar front and rear to keep rolling resistance down.

29x3.0 WTB ranger has a surprising amount of grip, seems to roll just as fast as xc race tires, and isn't too heavy. Downside to this tire are that the knobs aren't tall, so it tends to float on leaves and needles rather than poke through down to the dirt like the tires mentioned above.

Overall, 29x3.0 is by far my favorite. While riding it feels like I have almost as much traction as a DHF, but I'm also beating my PRs on full laps and race loops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    there are the new Spesh Butcher and Hillbilly and maybe a few more coming. most 29ers will fit 2.5 2.6 even, but not 3 unless it's a purpose designed plus bike i reckon. i too like the 2.5 DHF's a great deal. i don't find them heavy personally, just right given their damping and strength. i fully expect a durable tire of this nature to be around 950 to 1100 grams in order to perform well at low pressures on rough trails and high speeds.

mtbr member
    I think a lot of us are waiting on the 29x2.6" Maxxis Rekons but I have to agree that 29 x 3.0" has to be the best all rounders. I am running a Chupacabra on the rear with a Minion DHF up front and this set does EVERYTHING well, from hard pack/road to mud, slick roots and as proven to myself over the past couple of days, even snow. Killer combo!

I'm running a 2.5 WT DHF with a 2.4 WT DHR on my F/S bike and also really rate that setup, although there are faster tyres when it comes to going up. Not so many on the way down though!

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yep. 2.6" are better than 2.5", but I keep coming back to 3.0 as the best all-rounder. Typically using Bontrager Chupacabra's, which are lighter and grippier than they look, or than you'd think.

Sorry -- not an intentional thread drift, but it is an honest answer to the question.

As a side...

Mike if you were building a spare fully rigid rig is the 3 x 29 what you'd recommend?

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Some of my personal experience:

29x2.5 DHF (3 c maxterra) has a LOT of grip, does not roll well, and is heavy. It's possibly the best tire available when going down, but it's just too slow on flats and climbs for me.

29x2.6 nobby nic has a good amount of grip, rolls fairly well, and isn't too heavy. Not sure of the new compounds, but I preferred pacestar front and rear to keep rolling resistance down.

29x3.0 WTB ranger has a surprising amount of grip, seems to roll just as fast as xc race tires, and isn't too heavy. Downside to this tire are that the knobs aren't tall, so it tends to float on leaves and needles rather than poke through down to the dirt like the tires mentioned above.

Overall, 29x3.0 is by far my favorite. While riding it feels like I have almost as much traction as a DHF, but I'm also beating my PRs on full laps and race loops.
    What rims are you running those tires on?

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    As a side...

Mike if you were building a spare fully rigid rig is the 3 x 29 what you'd recommend?

For whom? Used how? Where?

I've spent the last ~6 months thinkering on and assembling an 'expedition bike'. Full rigid, yes. Will be used mostly off-piste, largely in a desert environment.

Super simple, super capable, super durable was the goal. Lots of ways to arrive at that. It came down to 29+ vs. B Fat, for me. I chose B Fat. Could easily have gone 29+, but for deep sand B Fat won out.

Keep on Rockin...
    For whom? Used how? Where?

I've spent the last ~6 months thinkering on and assembling an 'expedition bike'. Full rigid, yes. Will be used mostly off-piste, largely in a desert environment.

Super simple, super capable, super durable was the goal. Lots of ways to arrive at that. It came down to 29+ vs. B Fat, for me. I chose B Fat. Could easily have gone 29+, but for deep sand B Fat won out.

Cool. Thanks.

What's your non-carbon rim of choice for the 29+ ?

Cool. Thanks.

What's your non-carbon rim of choice for the 29+ ?

Same 3 questions as before...

Keep on Rockin...
    Same 3 questions as before...
    Routine trail riding. Rocky NE. 180# - me.

Routine trail riding. Rocky NE. 180# - me.

which tires @ what psi?

Keep on Rockin...
    Well, I'm 29+ curious, and not sure what I'd end up with.

I'm a Maxxis fan but what they have now in bigger 29 doesn't move me. They have always worked well with the Stan's rims I've used. For trail riding I'm a DHF/DHRii in smaller volumes but for a 29x3 I'm looking at something less aggressive. The shear size of a fatter tire gives a lot of traction even with smaller knobs, mud excluded.

Thinking about WTB. They sort of have their own bead set up that I'm not sure works well with "non-TCS" tires. The Ranger looks reasonable.

This is experimental, for a back up HT or fully rigid.

The last experiment I did paid off very well. Set up the next 275 x 2.6 Maxxis tire on Derby's on a FS. For trail riding I can't imagine it getting much better... well except maybe a FS 29 x 2.6...

Well, I'm 29+ curious, and not sure what I'd end up with.

I'm a Maxxis fan but what they have now in bigger 29 doesn't move me. They have always worked well with the Stan's rims I've used. For trail riding I'm a DHF/DHRii in smaller volumes but for a 29x3 I'm looking at something less aggressive. The shear size of a fatter tire gives a lot of traction even with smaller knobs, mud excluded.

Thinking about WTB. They sort of have their own bead set up that I'm not sure works well with "non-TCS" tires. The Ranger looks reasonable.

This is experimental, for a back up HT or fully rigid.

The last experiment I did paid off very well. Set up the next 275 x 2.6 Maxxis tire on Derby's on a FS. For trail riding I can't imagine it getting much better... well except maybe a FS 29 x 2.6...

You're probably going to want a Duroc in 40mm.

That's the short version of an answer. But given all that you're written -- yeah.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you want to run a 120tpi lightweight 29x3" at medium speeds a wide rim will let you reduce pressure to get the biggest footprint out of your tire. 43mm inner or more. Trek specs a 46mm inner Duroc on the Stache.

Keep on Rockin...
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    What rims are you running those tires on?
    I've used the 2.5 and 2.6 on a variety of rims. Most recently had them on one bike with 26mm internal and another bike with 30mm internal.

3" tires were on 40mm internal rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    anyone taking actual measurements of the tire widths?

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    anyone taking actual measurements of the tire widths?
    I have a set of 2.6 Nobby Nics on i35 rims.

They measure true to size - right at 2.6.
    ( This is measuring on the casing.)

mtbr member
    I run a 29x3.0 Chupacabra on Flow MKlll rims on my rigid SS. Tubeless at 11 psi up front. Tons of traction

My geared hardtail is set up 27.5+ with WTB i40 Scraper with 27.5 x 2.8 Chupacabra also tubeless at 11 psi up front. Loads of traction.

Yes, the WTB i40 rims spread the tire out more, but i actually prefer the Flow MKlll with the 29 x 3.0.

IMHO the WTB rims are way too soft if you ride a lot of rocks.

I'm waiting for the 29 x 2.6 Rekon as well to run on the geared bike.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Also waiting on the 2.6 Rekons. What is the latest on when it will be available?

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    Also waiting on the 2.6 Rekons. What is the latest on when it will be available?
    Wish Maxxis was planning on a Forekaster 29x2.6, 3C for the front, dual out back.

In a 275 X 2.6 it is a great all around tire.

mtbr member
    Rekon 29x2.6 is available now in both 3C and DC
    https://shop.maxxis.com/c/bicycle_mo...irected_post=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'd like to see an XR2 Team 2.6.
    Well, since it's Christmas time, I'll go further and wish for XR2, 3, and 4 in 2.6!

XR3 probably highest on my personal list right now.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I'm looking Forward to the Kenda Saber Pro 2.6. Out this spring(I hope). Kenda Tires | Bicycle | Saber Pro Bike Tires | Find a Tire | Kenda Tires

meatier showers
    I'm running 2.6" Nobby Nics on 29 x i30.5 rims on an FS sled.
    I've got a second set of wheels -- 27.5 x i45 rims w/Nobby Nic 3" tires that fit the same bike.
    All is well.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Wish Maxxis was planning on a Forekaster 29x2.6, 3C for the front, dual out back.

In a 275 X 2.6 it is a great all around tire.
    According to Maxxis, the 29x2.6 Forekaster is in the works. Not sure when they plan to release it.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    2.6 wagon wheelers-img_8972.jpgI'm running a Spec Butcher 29 x 2.6 on the front. I just ordered one for the rear. Went with the Gripton version. Seems measure true. I will try and get exact dims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieTolliver View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8972.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	1176360I'm running a Spec Butcher 29 x 2.6 on the front. I just ordered one for the rear. Went with the Gripton version. Seems measure true. I will try and get exact dims.
    Would be interested to know overall diameter, your rim width and PSI on the front tire/wheel. I have a DVO Diamond (tight tire clearance) so very interested to see if this could fit. Thanks!

mtbr member

2.6 wagon wheelers

Loving the Maxxis Recon 29 x 2.60! Just one ride in, but so far very impressed. Great traction great ride qualities.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've been running the 2.6 NN ADDIX speed grip on DT Swiss XM 480 rims @ 16PSI rear then the 2.6 NN Trailstar on WTB ASYM35 @ 15PSI front. It's like having a short travel FS bike feel on my fully rigid SS. I've run the 3" Surly Dirt Wizzards but they are slower in the tight switch backs. It's real loose on my So Cal trails so I don't mess with small nobby tires.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Can't say I'm looking for a way to push a 1300-1500 gram tire around. I'm getting boat loads of traction from a 2.3" Minion DHF...not sure I'd need more traction on a shorter travel bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    Can't say I'm looking for a way to push a 1300-1500 gram tire around. I'm getting boat loads of traction from a 2.3" Minion DHF...not sure I'd need more traction on a shorter travel bike.

(looks around, wondering...)

did someone suggest there were 1500g 2.6" tires?

even the 3" chupa's are under 900g.

i get that you think you have boatloads of traction with your CX tires. i'm also pretty sure you're still operating on the old definition of "boatloads". and also that you haven't yet experienced the supple ride that a true high volume/low pressure tire gives.

believe it or not, a 3" tire is in your wheelhouse, for many reasons. less suspension movement needed, less tire pressure needed, same (or better) traction with less rolling resistance.

you should check with B and see what he has for you to demo. or not...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Ya, pretty much that.

Traction via a different path than big, slow knobs on a firm, skinny tire.

I've been at this a long time, and will admit I've always resisted going to the next bigger tire, but once done, always wonder why I waited.

Starting -- ahem -- from Panaracer Fire 1.8s and moving upwards from there!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Knolly Fugitive that's being released this spring has 29 X 2.6 clearance.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    (looks around, wondering...)

did someone suggest there were 1500g 2.6" tires?

even the 3" chupa's are under 900g.

i get that you think you have boatloads of traction with your CX tires. i'm also pretty sure you're still operating on the old definition of "boatloads". and also that you haven't yet experienced the supple ride that a true high volume/low pressure tire gives.

believe it or not, a 3" tire is in your wheelhouse, for many reasons. less suspension movement needed, less tire pressure needed, same (or better) traction with less rolling resistance.

you should check with B and see what he has for you to demo. or not...
    Made the assumption that some of these offerings would be dual-ply offerings. My bad.

If someone is using 2.3" DHFs as a CX tire, they are surely losing. =D

We have tried the + thing...for where we ride mostly, it wasn't a welcome change. Not enough kitty litter and too much double/singletrack that simply doesn't require über-traction.

Even B isn't riding these big tires! Just the standard 2.3-2.5 Bonty 29er tires.

I've seen the apocalyptic traction they get from your beautiful vids...believe me...I'd love to have that as my backyard loop...but nay.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    Made the assumption that some of these offerings would be dual-ply offerings. My bad.

If someone is using 2.3" DHFs as a CX tire, they are surely losing. =D

We have tried the + thing...for where we ride mostly, it wasn't a welcome change. Not enough kitty litter and too much double/singletrack that simply doesn't require über-traction.

Even B isn't riding these big tires! Just the standard 2.3-2.5 Bonty 29er tires.

I've seen the apocalyptic traction they get from your beautiful vids...believe me...I'd love to have that as my backyard loop...but nay.

C'mon man -- your reading comprehension is better than that.

I'll distill it down for you. If you ditch the 2.3's and opt for 29 x 3", you:

-Don't have to gain any meaningful weight. Maybe 10 or 20g, but it doesn't have to be more.

-Get to drop your PSI by double digits. Running 30 now? Figure 20, but probably less.

-Don't gain any rolling resistance. You might lose some.

If you want crazy traction, sure -- a 29 x 3" DHF is going to get you that. But look at the Chupa tread. Fast roller -- not just about grip.

mtbr member