mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2.6 wagon wheelers

anyone in here running 2.6 tires on their big wheeler? thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    not a lot of options out there right now, I'm definitely interested in this as well

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    not a lot of options out there right now, I'm definitely interested in this as well
    Agree.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    anyone in here running 2.6 tires on their big wheeler? thoughts?

Yep. 2.6" are better than 2.5", but I keep coming back to 3.0 as the best all-rounder. Typically using Bontrager Chupacabra's, which are lighter and grippier than they look, or than you'd think.

Sorry -- not an intentional thread drift, but it is an honest answer to the question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd like to see an XR2 Team 2.6.

mtbr member
    Some of my personal experience:

29x2.5 DHF (3 c maxterra) has a LOT of grip, does not roll well, and is heavy. It's possibly the best tire available when going down, but it's just too slow on flats and climbs for me.

29x2.6 nobby nic has a good amount of grip, rolls fairly well, and isn't too heavy. Not sure of the new compounds, but I preferred pacestar front and rear to keep rolling resistance down.

29x3.0 WTB ranger has a surprising amount of grip, seems to roll just as fast as xc race tires, and isn't too heavy. Downside to this tire are that the knobs aren't tall, so it tends to float on leaves and needles rather than poke through down to the dirt like the tires mentioned above.

Overall, 29x3.0 is by far my favorite. While riding it feels like I have almost as much traction as a DHF, but I'm also beating my PRs on full laps and race loops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    there are the new Spesh Butcher and Hillbilly and maybe a few more coming. most 29ers will fit 2.5 2.6 even, but not 3 unless it's a purpose designed plus bike i reckon. i too like the 2.5 DHF's a great deal. i don't find them heavy personally, just right given their damping and strength. i fully expect a durable tire of this nature to be around 950 to 1100 grams in order to perform well at low pressures on rough trails and high speeds.

mtbr member
    I think a lot of us are waiting on the 29x2.6" Maxxis Rekons but I have to agree that 29 x 3.0" has to be the best all rounders. I am running a Chupacabra on the rear with a Minion DHF up front and this set does EVERYTHING well, from hard pack/road to mud, slick roots and as proven to myself over the past couple of days, even snow. Killer combo!

I'm running a 2.5 WT DHF with a 2.4 WT DHR on my F/S bike and also really rate that setup, although there are faster tyres when it comes to going up. Not so many on the way down though!

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yep. 2.6" are better than 2.5", but I keep coming back to 3.0 as the best all-rounder. Typically using Bontrager Chupacabra's, which are lighter and grippier than they look, or than you'd think.

Sorry -- not an intentional thread drift, but it is an honest answer to the question.

As a side...

Mike if you were building a spare fully rigid rig is the 3 x 29 what you'd recommend?

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Some of my personal experience:

29x2.5 DHF (3 c maxterra) has a LOT of grip, does not roll well, and is heavy. It's possibly the best tire available when going down, but it's just too slow on flats and climbs for me.

29x2.6 nobby nic has a good amount of grip, rolls fairly well, and isn't too heavy. Not sure of the new compounds, but I preferred pacestar front and rear to keep rolling resistance down.

29x3.0 WTB ranger has a surprising amount of grip, seems to roll just as fast as xc race tires, and isn't too heavy. Downside to this tire are that the knobs aren't tall, so it tends to float on leaves and needles rather than poke through down to the dirt like the tires mentioned above.

Overall, 29x3.0 is by far my favorite. While riding it feels like I have almost as much traction as a DHF, but I'm also beating my PRs on full laps and race loops.
    What rims are you running those tires on?

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    As a side...

Mike if you were building a spare fully rigid rig is the 3 x 29 what you'd recommend?

For whom? Used how? Where?

I've spent the last ~6 months thinkering on and assembling an 'expedition bike'. Full rigid, yes. Will be used mostly off-piste, largely in a desert environment.

Super simple, super capable, super durable was the goal. Lots of ways to arrive at that. It came down to 29+ vs. B Fat, for me. I chose B Fat. Could easily have gone 29+, but for deep sand B Fat won out.

Keep on Rockin...
    For whom? Used how? Where?

I've spent the last ~6 months thinkering on and assembling an 'expedition bike'. Full rigid, yes. Will be used mostly off-piste, largely in a desert environment.

Super simple, super capable, super durable was the goal. Lots of ways to arrive at that. It came down to 29+ vs. B Fat, for me. I chose B Fat. Could easily have gone 29+, but for deep sand B Fat won out.

Cool. Thanks.

What's your non-carbon rim of choice for the 29+ ?

Cool. Thanks.

What's your non-carbon rim of choice for the 29+ ?

Same 3 questions as before...

Keep on Rockin...
    Same 3 questions as before...
    Routine trail riding. Rocky NE. 180# - me.

Routine trail riding. Rocky NE. 180# - me.

which tires @ what psi?

Keep on Rockin...
    Well, I'm 29+ curious, and not sure what I'd end up with.

I'm a Maxxis fan but what they have now in bigger 29 doesn't move me. They have always worked well with the Stan's rims I've used. For trail riding I'm a DHF/DHRii in smaller volumes but for a 29x3 I'm looking at something less aggressive. The shear size of a fatter tire gives a lot of traction even with smaller knobs, mud excluded.

Thinking about WTB. They sort of have their own bead set up that I'm not sure works well with "non-TCS" tires. The Ranger looks reasonable.

This is experimental, for a back up HT or fully rigid.

The last experiment I did paid off very well. Set up the next 275 x 2.6 Maxxis tire on Derby's on a FS. For trail riding I can't imagine it getting much better... well except maybe a FS 29 x 2.6...

Well, I'm 29+ curious, and not sure what I'd end up with.

I'm a Maxxis fan but what they have now in bigger 29 doesn't move me. They have always worked well with the Stan's rims I've used. For trail riding I'm a DHF/DHRii in smaller volumes but for a 29x3 I'm looking at something less aggressive. The shear size of a fatter tire gives a lot of traction even with smaller knobs, mud excluded.

Thinking about WTB. They sort of have their own bead set up that I'm not sure works well with "non-TCS" tires. The Ranger looks reasonable.

This is experimental, for a back up HT or fully rigid.

The last experiment I did paid off very well. Set up the next 275 x 2.6 Maxxis tire on Derby's on a FS. For trail riding I can't imagine it getting much better... well except maybe a FS 29 x 2.6...

You're probably going to want a Duroc in 40mm.

That's the short version of an answer. But given all that you're written -- yeah.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you want to run a 120tpi lightweight 29x3" at medium speeds a wide rim will let you reduce pressure to get the biggest footprint out of your tire. 43mm inner or more. Trek specs a 46mm inner Duroc on the Stache.

Keep on Rockin...
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    What rims are you running those tires on?
    I've used the 2.5 and 2.6 on a variety of rims. Most recently had them on one bike with 26mm internal and another bike with 30mm internal.

3" tires were on 40mm internal rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    anyone taking actual measurements of the tire widths?

AOK
    mtbr member
    anyone taking actual measurements of the tire widths?
    I have a set of 2.6 Nobby Nics on i35 rims.

They measure true to size - right at 2.6.
    ( This is measuring on the casing.)

mtbr member
    I run a 29x3.0 Chupacabra on Flow MKlll rims on my rigid SS. Tubeless at 11 psi up front. Tons of traction

My geared hardtail is set up 27.5+ with WTB i40 Scraper with 27.5 x 2.8 Chupacabra also tubeless at 11 psi up front. Loads of traction.

Yes, the WTB i40 rims spread the tire out more, but i actually prefer the Flow MKlll with the 29 x 3.0.

IMHO the WTB rims are way too soft if you ride a lot of rocks.

I'm waiting for the 29 x 2.6 Rekon as well to run on the geared bike.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Also waiting on the 2.6 Rekons. What is the latest on when it will be available?

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    Also waiting on the 2.6 Rekons. What is the latest on when it will be available?
    Wish Maxxis was planning on a Forekaster 29x2.6, 3C for the front, dual out back.

In a 275 X 2.6 it is a great all around tire.

mtbr member
    Rekon 29x2.6 is available now in both 3C and DC
    https://shop.maxxis.com/c/bicycle_mo...irected_post=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'd like to see an XR2 Team 2.6.
    Well, since it's Christmas time, I'll go further and wish for XR2, 3, and 4 in 2.6!

XR3 probably highest on my personal list right now.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I'm looking Forward to the Kenda Saber Pro 2.6. Out this spring(I hope). Kenda Tires | Bicycle | Saber Pro Bike Tires | Find a Tire | Kenda Tires

Out spokin'
    I'm running 2.6" Nobby Nics on 29 x i30.5 rims on an FS sled.
    I've got a second set of wheels -- 27.5 x i45 rims w/Nobby Nic 3" tires that fit the same bike.
    All is well.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Wish Maxxis was planning on a Forekaster 29x2.6, 3C for the front, dual out back.

In a 275 X 2.6 it is a great all around tire.
    According to Maxxis, the 29x2.6 Forekaster is in the works. Not sure when they plan to release it.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    2.6 wagon wheelers-img_8972.jpgI'm running a Spec Butcher 29 x 2.6 on the front. I just ordered one for the rear. Went with the Gripton version. Seems measure true. I will try and get exact dims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieTolliver View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8972.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	1176360I'm running a Spec Butcher 29 x 2.6 on the front. I just ordered one for the rear. Went with the Gripton version. Seems measure true. I will try and get exact dims.
    Would be interested to know overall diameter, your rim width and PSI on the front tire/wheel. I have a DVO Diamond (tight tire clearance) so very interested to see if this could fit. Thanks!

mtbr member

2.6 wagon wheelers

Loving the Maxxis Recon 29 x 2.60! Just one ride in, but so far very impressed. Great traction great ride qualities.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've been running the 2.6 NN ADDIX speed grip on DT Swiss XM 480 rims @ 16PSI rear then the 2.6 NN Trailstar on WTB ASYM35 @ 15PSI front. It's like having a short travel FS bike feel on my fully rigid SS. I've run the 3" Surly Dirt Wizzards but they are slower in the tight switch backs. It's real loose on my So Cal trails so I don't mess with small nobby tires.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Can't say I'm looking for a way to push a 1300-1500 gram tire around. I'm getting boat loads of traction from a 2.3" Minion DHF...not sure I'd need more traction on a shorter travel bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    Can't say I'm looking for a way to push a 1300-1500 gram tire around. I'm getting boat loads of traction from a 2.3" Minion DHF...not sure I'd need more traction on a shorter travel bike.

(looks around, wondering...)

did someone suggest there were 1500g 2.6" tires?

even the 3" chupa's are under 900g.

i get that you think you have boatloads of traction with your CX tires. i'm also pretty sure you're still operating on the old definition of "boatloads". and also that you haven't yet experienced the supple ride that a true high volume/low pressure tire gives.

believe it or not, a 3" tire is in your wheelhouse, for many reasons. less suspension movement needed, less tire pressure needed, same (or better) traction with less rolling resistance.

you should check with B and see what he has for you to demo. or not...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Ya, pretty much that.

Traction via a different path than big, slow knobs on a firm, skinny tire.

I've been at this a long time, and will admit I've always resisted going to the next bigger tire, but once done, always wonder why I waited.

Starting -- ahem -- from Panaracer Fire 1.8s and moving upwards from there!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Knolly Fugitive that's being released this spring has 29 X 2.6 clearance.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    (looks around, wondering...)

did someone suggest there were 1500g 2.6" tires?

even the 3" chupa's are under 900g.

i get that you think you have boatloads of traction with your CX tires. i'm also pretty sure you're still operating on the old definition of "boatloads". and also that you haven't yet experienced the supple ride that a true high volume/low pressure tire gives.

believe it or not, a 3" tire is in your wheelhouse, for many reasons. less suspension movement needed, less tire pressure needed, same (or better) traction with less rolling resistance.

you should check with B and see what he has for you to demo. or not...
    Made the assumption that some of these offerings would be dual-ply offerings. My bad.

If someone is using 2.3" DHFs as a CX tire, they are surely losing. =D

We have tried the + thing...for where we ride mostly, it wasn't a welcome change. Not enough kitty litter and too much double/singletrack that simply doesn't require über-traction.

Even B isn't riding these big tires! Just the standard 2.3-2.5 Bonty 29er tires.

I've seen the apocalyptic traction they get from your beautiful vids...believe me...I'd love to have that as my backyard loop...but nay.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    Made the assumption that some of these offerings would be dual-ply offerings. My bad.

If someone is using 2.3" DHFs as a CX tire, they are surely losing. =D

We have tried the + thing...for where we ride mostly, it wasn't a welcome change. Not enough kitty litter and too much double/singletrack that simply doesn't require über-traction.

Even B isn't riding these big tires! Just the standard 2.3-2.5 Bonty 29er tires.

I've seen the apocalyptic traction they get from your beautiful vids...believe me...I'd love to have that as my backyard loop...but nay.

C'mon man -- your reading comprehension is better than that.

I'll distill it down for you. If you ditch the 2.3's and opt for 29 x 3", you:

-Don't have to gain any meaningful weight. Maybe 10 or 20g, but it doesn't have to be more.

-Get to drop your PSI by double digits. Running 30 now? Figure 20, but probably less.

-Don't gain any rolling resistance. You might lose some.

If you want crazy traction, sure -- a 29 x 3" DHF is going to get you that. But look at the Chupa tread. Fast roller -- not just about grip.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I have a teravail kennebec and cumberland both in 29 x 2.6 light and supple. They measure a little over 2.7 at the knobs on my flow mk3's. I weighed them before mounting since I gave up looking for accurate weight info. Don't tell my wife I used the kitchen scale for tires. They roll fast and grip well, the cumberland in the rear really surprised me with its grip on climbs.

Also offered in a durable casing, even though these light and supple seem to look fairly tough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.6 wagon wheelers-cumberland-2-6-ls.jpg  

2.6 wagon wheelers-kennebec-2-6-ls.jpg  

mtbr member
    Any word on the Bontrager XR4 2.6 coming out? Now that's a tire I can get behind!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    teravail?? from what alternate universe did these come from? i thought i knew a lot of obscure mtb products but i've never heard of these tires. big in Japan?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    teravail?? from what alternate universe did these come from? i thought i knew a lot of obscure mtb products but i've never heard of these tires. big in Japan?
    I beleive they're an american group with support from QBP. Relatively new, good products.

Ride On
    Chupas vs DHF's... Surely that comparison is entirely dependent on terrain, climate, rider, bike etc.

I LOVE my Krampus one of my fave bikes ever, full stop. However there is NO WAY I would consider the Chupa's or any other low profile knob plus tire as even remotely as grippy as a DHF 2.3, 2.5 or DHR 2.3, 2.4 in our PNW riding conditions, especially in winter but even in the dry summer months. Low profile plus tires run at low pressures are fun to ride but at my rider weight (150ish) they tend to float rather than sting. Now if we're talking the 3.0 DHR/DHF thats a completely different animal but then you WILL notice the heft of those bad boys.

If I lived in the desert with tons of dry grippy rock I'm sure I'd appreciate the low profile plus tires more. Then again my DHF "CX" tires grip amazingly in those conditions too...
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieTolliver View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8972.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	1176360I'm running a Spec Butcher 29 x 2.6 on the front. I just ordered one for the rear. Went with the Gripton version. Seems measure true. I will try and get exact dims.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgill32 View Post
    Would be interested to know overall diameter, your rim width and PSI on the front tire/wheel. I have a DVO Diamond (tight tire clearance) so very interested to see if this could fit. Thanks!
    I've been running this tire on a stock Enduro coil '17. Great tire. But it's nowhere near actually being 2.6. It measures at about 2.45. Makes sense, given that the specs list it as only 85g heavier than the 2.3. Still a great tire though, just realize it's not gonna measure 2.6. This is on a stock aluminum Roval Fattie 29mm internal width rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Loving the Maxxis Recon 29 x 2.60! Just one ride in, but so far very impressed. Great traction great ride qualities.
    what are you running for pressures? Any sealant seeping from the sidewalls?

mtbr member
    what are you running for pressures? Any sealant seeping from the sidewalls?
    No sealant seepage at all.
    Still experimenting with pressures. I went out the other day with 13 rear 10.5 front. Was a bit low.
    I think 15-16 rear and 14 front may be in the ballpark. I weigh 220.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    No sealant seepage at all.
    Still experimenting with pressures. I went out the other day with 13 rear 10.5 front. Was a bit low.
    I think 15-16 rear and 14 front may be in the ballpark. I weigh 220.
    Are those the pressures you settled on? I weigh about the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcobra View Post
    Are those the pressures you settled on? I weigh about the same.
    For now, yeah. I don't know that I can say I'm done tinkering.
    29mm internal rim, btw.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Any word on the Bontrager XR4 2.6 coming out? Now that's a tire I can get behind!
    Haven't tried them out yet.
    New Bontrager XR4 team issue 29 x 2.6
    Available at Trek superstore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    +1 for Schwable NN addix 29x2.6 Love these tires! Big volume, decent open spaced knobs shed snow and mud, and not a heavy tire

I am Walt

2.6 wagon wheelers

Great thread...

My experience:
    - Upgraded to a 29+ frame in Nov (Vassago Optimus Ti, running SS)
    - Repurposed a set of almost new Flow MK3’s (laced to Hope Pro 4’s), which are i29mm, with Ranger 3.0’s (even though the interwebs say that’s too wide on that rim). Really liked it, but felt a bit slower rolling. Had got to about 14 f/17 r PSI (I’m 190 geared up).
    - Was pining for a 2.8/2/6 option, and caught wind of the Rekon’s
    - Switched to the Rekon’s, but found them to be rather slow rolling (draggy). Very plush-feeling ride and hook up great; however, and a great choice for chunkier stuff. Ran them at 12-12.5 f/ 14.5-15 r PSI.
    - Just switched to Ardent 2.4 f/Ikon 2.35 r for an upcoming 24-hour solo race. Running 14 f/17 r PSI. Wow, do they feel fast after the Rekons!
    - All of the above on the Flow MK3’s
    - Because I do want to run Plus, for the reasons mikesee mentions above, I am having a “plus” wheelset built up with Duroc 40’s (i36mm) laced to I9 hubs with SS-specific rear (recently available). I will run the Ranger 3.0’s on these as my Plus wheelset, and am very interested to see how they ride/feel/roll vs. the “fast” Ardent/Ikon/Flow setup.

Thanks for listening...great info from all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For now, yeah. I don't know that I can say I'm done tinkering.
    29mm internal rim, btw.
    Are you using the 120 or 60 tpi?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcobra View Post
    Are you using the 120 or 60 tpi?

--Reamer

Trail Rider
    Running a XR4 2.6 on the front of my FEX and a 2.4 XR3 on the rear.

29er Line Pro 30's (29mm id)

The 2.6 is perfect, so much more grip cornering. I was sliding out with the XR4 2.4 on the front, tire was too square.

The XR3 on the rear hooks up well, and the 705 gram weight helps on the climbs.
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post

The 2.6 is perfect, so much more grip cornering. I was sliding out with the XR4 2.4 on the front, tire was too square.

What are those actually measuring at?

Ride more; post less...

Trail Rider
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

I am Walt
    Thanks, man!
    Ride more; post less...

WNC Native

Do you have a weight on the XR4 2.6 also?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Do you have a weight on the XR4 2.6 also?
    I have two XR4s 29x2.6 Team issue 120tpi - 922 grams and 943 grams. both mounted on Arc35 and are 66mm tread edge to edge - casing is 64mm - 13.5 and 15.5 psi.

Awesome tires

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was running 29 x 3 Minions, great tires but my son stole em. I swapped to XR 4 29 x 3, had some durability issues, swapped to XR4 29 x 2.6, durability issues continued, so I swapped to 29 x 2.6 Rekon 60tpi.

The XR4 2.6 has more traction and it may be a little fatter in the casing, but the Rekon is holding up better to abuse. The Minion 29 x 3 gets the win for all around awesomeness.

I’m waiting on delivery of a McFly 29 x 2.8 and a Chunk 29 x 2.6, depending on how they look in person, my plan is to keep a Rekon 2.6 out back and run the McFly up front. Not sure about the Chunk, wish it were 2.8 as it’d be a nice tire for the front with a 2.6 in back.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I was running 29 x 3 Minions, great tires but my son stole em. I swapped to XR 4 29 x 3, had some durability issues, swapped to XR4 29 x 2.6, durability issues continued, so I swapped to 29 x 2.6 Rekon 60tpi.

The XR4 2.6 has more traction and it may be a little fatter in the casing, but the Rekon is holding up better to abuse. The Minion 29 x 3 gets the win for all around awesomeness.

I’m waiting on delivery of a McFly 29 x 2.8 and a Chunk 29 x 2.6, depending on how they look in person, my plan is to keep a Rekon 2.6 out back and run the McFly up front. Not sure about the Chunk, wish it were 2.8 as it’d be a nice tire for the front with a 2.6 in back.
    May I ask the reason you haven't gone back to the all around awesome Minion 29x3? I ask because my next bike will be 29+... trying to investigate rubber in advance. Thanks.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    3" tires, esp in a 29er are just too heavy to haul around on long days.

I'd love to see a Minion 2.8, which may seem to some like a minimal difference, but having ridden 2.6 and 2.8 predominately in 27 and 29, I find the plus/minus size to be the most well rounded, esp if your doing long days in the saddle.

Of course you could argue the same for 2.4, 2.2, etc... so I suppose what I'm saying is there is a point of diminishing returns where the weight, traction, support, efficency come together and for me it's 2.6-2.8 on an daily driver.

I love 3" tires, rode them for years on muni, got em on my Hendrix, Wozo, and my wife's Levo, but they are heavy and slow, though they are good fun on the down and when creeping through rocky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    May I ask the reason you haven't gone back to the all around awesome Minion 29x3? I ask because my next bike will be 29+... trying to investigate rubber in advance. Thanks.
    =sParty

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    3" tires, esp in a 29er are just too heavy to haul around on long days.

I'd love to see a Minion 2.8, which may seem to some like a minimal difference, but having ridden 2.6 and 2.8 predominately in 27 and 29, I find the plus/minus size to be the most well rounded, esp if your doing long days in the saddle.

Of course you could argue the same for 2.4, 2.2, etc... so I suppose what I'm saying is there is a point of diminishing returns where the weight, traction, support, efficency come together and for me it's 2.6-2.8 on an daily driver.

I love 3" tires, rode them for years on muni, got em on my Hendrix, Wozo, and my wife's Levo, but they are heavy and slow, though they are good fun on the down and when creeping through rocky stuff.
    Thank you. I know what you're saying as I have 27.5x3" tires as a second wheelset for my Pistola. They are indeed heavy and slow compared to the 29x2.6" wheels/tires I run on the same frame when conditions are dry.

What I like the 3" tires for is off season use in Oregon's mud and slippery roots & rocks, when extra weight doesn't matter and riding is comparatively slow motion. What I like least about the 27.5" hoops is they're too small -- bothers me more than their extra weight during the mud season.

I also don't like subjecting my FS's pivots and suspension components to water & sludge half the year. So my solution will be a 29+ hardtail for the off season.

Thanks again, Ben.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Agreed, the 27.5 wheels are just too small, that's why I'm off the the little wheels and moving to 29ers again. A good 29er is not the ponderous things we rode in days gone by. I chased this young buck down Sierra Canyon the other day on my Full Stache while he was running a FS 27.5; I paced him just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Thank you. I know what you're saying as I have 27.5x3" tires as a second wheelset for my Pistola. They are indeed heavy and slow compared to the 29x2.6" wheels/tires I run on the same frame when conditions are dry.

What I like the 3" tires for is off season use in Oregon's mud and slippery roots & rocks, when extra weight doesn't matter and riding is comparatively slow motion. What I like least about the 27.5" hoops is they're too small -- bothers me more than their extra weight during the mud season.

I also don't like subjecting my FS's pivots and suspension components to water & sludge half the year. So my solution will be a 29+ hardtail for the off season.

Thanks again, Ben.
    =sParty

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy 29 on order for early June. My first ever FS bike and it comes stock with 29x2.6's, I'm beyond stoked.

mtbr member
    Just mounted up some Spec 29x2.6s on my WTB i29 rims Purgatory Grid in back measuring 2.43 casing 2.40 knob, Butch Grid on front 2.40 casing 2.35 knob. Haven't checked actual PSI but pretty sure the Purg was pumped closer to 40# yesterday as the stem kept leaking for awhile was fighting that. These tires are replacing Vittoria Gomas F/R which are actually a bit larger diameter maybe 1/4-3/8" and about the same width IIRC. definitely have more room in the rear of my ROS9 with this tire though expecting some stretch. Was going to go DHF/DHR 2.5/2.4 but Sec had BOGO 50% off worth a try for under a hundy out the door after CA's outrageous sales tax.

2.6 wagon wheelers-room.jpg
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

Keep on Rockin...

No go on the 29 x 2.6...

For the 2.6 x 29 curious....

Since I'm a fan of the 2.6 in a 275 I'd been itching to try the chubbies in a 29. Got that chance on my recent trip to Moab. Rented a Ripley LS and it came with 29 x 2.6" tires. Nobby nics IIRC.

Well, the short version... they completely sucked for hard trail riding - for me. So much so that after my first long day on the bike I swapped out the bike for a Yeti 5.5 lined with 2.5/2.4" tires.

It was just too much tire which took all the snap out of the bike. Also, the bike became very stable - so much so that changing lines, bobbing and weaving, and most any high speed fancy footwork with the bike became too much work. Maybe some of it was the entire wheelset but nothing on the set jumped out as completely out of range. When speeds got fast, especially on rough corners, there was too much undamped rebound from the tires. I dig tech climbing, and as you know in Moab there is no shortage of that. Getting those big chubby hoops up to speed, from a trackstand, was a lot of work.

Slow speed rock crawling on a rigid rig - yeah, I can see that as a great application for this flavor of tire. But for higher speed, techy riding - not for me at all.

My curiosity has been thoroughly sated.

For those of you who are into these tires - enjoy, and I mean no offense.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't write something off on a sample of one, just saying. Likely would've gave up on 29+ if I stuck with the Knards that came on the bike and the Hugo rims, horrible. Now with decent rims like scrapers and tires like DHFs a completely different animal. Likewise even on 29 tires like the 2.4 Gomas(huge carcass, bigger the Spez 29x2.6s) I had on 25mm IW rims were meh, on i29s they came alive.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    I recently upgraded to 29x2.6. Been riding a El Mar SS with 2.4 Ardent front and 2.35 Nobby Nic rear for a little over a year. Anyways, I decided to get something a little more aggressive and settled on a RSD Big Chief. Soon as I got it out of the box I made SS.

First ride around the neighborhood I could tell the 2.6 NN's were slower from a start, but just a little. Once up to speed, feels like a 29er. By the way, the RSD is about a pound heavier than the El Mar.

Most of my riding consists of sandy coastal trails. Where the 2.4 and 2.35 are a great combo, the 2.6's are so much better! The grip seems limitless and the extra volume helps to dampen smaller impacts that would make 2.4/2.35 skip. For me, the most difference is diving into corners. I can just hold more speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

2.6 Nobby Nic full ridged

I have a Soma Juice with ARC30 rims and 2.6 Nobby Nics and really love how they perform for me. I ride in Florida with sugar sand a Rooty climbs and find them right for me. I ride full ridged and find them to be a good balance between 3.0 and 2.4 tire options. The 3.0 rubber on larger rims was too much extra weight. I am looking to build up some new wheels and am considering going with the DT XM 481 rims. I have read that they are a bit more durable than the ARC rims.

Just to add a bit more information about wet wood...BEWARE…the Noby Nicks are very slippery. We have been getting a lot of rain lately and the scary side of these tires have showed themselves to me. Great for dry and scary for wet wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.6 wagon wheelers-sj-oink.jpg  

Last edited by RidgedSteel; 08-04-2018 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I had a set of 2.4 continental trail kings that were heavier and rolled much slower than the NN's with less tire volume. Have you tried the Maxxis Recon 2.6?

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Well, since it's Christmas time, I'll go further and wish for XR2, 3, and 4 in 2.6!

XR3 probably highest on my personal list right now.

Christmas in June: XR2 and XR4 are available in 29 x 2.6".

Haven't heard anything about XR3, nor have I wished for one with the above (plus Rekon, and NN) available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ... they completely sucked for hard trail riding - for me.
    In my opinion plus size NN are simply put - horrible. I have tried 3.0 Apex version - and they were draggy, had zero cornering traction (scary actually), poorly dampened (pingy) and very expensive. Quite an achievement from Schwalbe.

I think the worst design flaw is the staggered side lugs pattern - the more you tip the bike the less traction you have. I am surprised that Schwalbe used that pattern with 2.6 - the 2.35 version has nicely aligned side knobs and works very well.

mtbr member
    Hmm, complete opposite for me on 50mm rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Currently have 29x2.6 NN front/rear on a Fuel EX. Also run another plus wheel set 27.5x3 NN front/27.5x2.8 Chupa(X2) back. Somewhat similar observations as others.

The 29x2.6 NN front was ok in winter/spring in SoCal but now that it drier, I've had traction issues. Nervous feel (rim 28 mm, 175 lbs, ~13 psi). Probably going to a 29 XR4 for front soon, debating 2.4 vs 2.6. The 29x2.6 NN in back has amazing traction, rolls oks, but I'm somewhat noticing the 900g weight. Probably going 2.35 XR2 or 2.4 XR3 there next.

The 27.5x3.0 NN was great (pretty much ideal balance of grip/weight) in past but haven't used it in awhile. The X2/Chupa plus in back is actually pretty solid on typical legal blue/black SoCal trails too...kinda surprised me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any Kennebec “Durable” feedback, looking for a meatier tire up front; the McFly is good, but the thin center tread washes out easily in sand. Gotta be the durable casing, this is for my FS bike which goes fast and gets ugly.

29 x 2.6 Tires I’m riding now:

Rekon 60tpi, great tires, super durable, high volume for a 2.6, casing is not super heavy duty so it’ll slop around a lower pressures. Get the 60tpi if you’re a tire abuser.

McFly 2.8 Tough, really more like a 2.6, very durable, great carver as long as you lay it on edge, could use more center line tread, but quite fast the way it’s made.

Flow Snap 60tpi dual compound, not a lot of ride time, very tacky rubber, casing is burly, knobbies are aggressive, running it out back with the Mcfly up front. Not the widest 2.6 offering. 1035gm, casing 62.5, tread 67.5 on Duroc 40 @ 18psi.

XR 2.6, love the ride, great traction, pinch flatted running 18+ psi in the first 1/4 mile, just not enough durability, did the same to an XR4 3” a few days earlier. Maybe they’re casings have changed?

Chunk Tough, mounted with a tube, hard to get up tubeless, burly and heavy, may not run it... a real DH tire for 29”.

Edit: Ordered a Kenebeck Tough, it was quite thick and heavy, overkill for my needs. So Mikesee sent me a Kenebeck Light, it has become one of my favorite front tires, burly like a Minion, works well in all conditions, and quite durable; toughness on par with a McFly Durable.

I moved the Mcfly to the rear, works great, fast, but holds an edge, nice volume.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 08-04-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29
    XMed GG Smash 29
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)

Nobody
    Anyone running the XR4 2.6 in the front who can compare them to Minion DHF? My new Sentinel came with DHF 29X2.3 3C Max EXO in the front. It is an amazing tire, but I would like to go a little larger. I'm debating the XR4 Team 2.6 vs. the DHF 2.5 3C Max EXO.

Any thoughts on comparisons???
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Anyone running the XR4 2.6 in the front who can compare them to Minion DHF? My new Sentinel came with DHF 29X2.3 3C Max EXO in the front. It is an amazing tire, but I would like to go a little larger. I'm debating the XR4 Team 2.6 vs. the DHF 2.5 3C Max EXO.

Any thoughts on comparisons???

All depends on conditions. Minions are awesome in the dry, but sketchy/skatey in the wet. I prefer the XR4 pretty much everywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I mounted up a 29X2.6 Hans Dampf tonight on a Flow MK3. Currently it's sitting at 2.61inches wide, minutes after being inflated. I was hoping to use this on the rear of my hardtail. I have previously used a non-Addix 29X2.6 Nobby Nic, which fit with occasional rub and measured around 2.55 inches. Are the new Addix 2.6 Nobby Nic still measuring a bit undersize? I'd like to use one again but if it's as large as the Hans Dampf I don't think I can.

mtbr member

2.6 lightest and fastest rolling

XR2 2.6 on M60 rim, tubeless, 23mm ID 29mm OD hookless. What pressure you all running? 25psi? (I read 18psi pinch flatted)

Solid review of four 2.6's, the Bontrager, Vittoria, Schwalbe Nobby Nic, and the Rekon https://fat-bike.com/2018/07/compari...-29x2-6-tires/
    Last edited by metrotuned; 07-27-2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Research
    Producer, Actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

MTB Rider
    I had picked up some Nobby Nic 29x2.6 last fall because they were on clearance ($30 each). I mounted them in the fall and looking at the tread pattern, I thought they would be slower than the Maxxis 29x2.4 Ardents they replaced. They "felt" slower.

However, Strava showed me different. They were smoother and faster. I approve ... kinda wish these came in 2.8" for my Krampus.

mtbr member
    XR2 2.6

Quality is super. Really changed my mind about Bontrager factory oem team issue stuff that you see on Trek bikes - previously thought they were dime a dozen generic middle ground stuff. That's changed. These were ordered direct from Bontrager, 2 day quick ship, price was median, and the product was genuine. The thing for me was the unconditional guarantee. Don't like it, return it! This sealed the deal and beat online sales for other tires.

Performance A. Went from a 2.25 Nobby Nic (excellent fast light tire) to a 2.6 XR2 on the front and a 2.1 Thunder Burt to a 2.25 XR2 on the rear. I needed beefier sidewalls and 100% locked tubeless snap. Mounted these to ENVE M60s.

These Bontrager's aired up, locked in with authority and have held air with no air loss after a week. Grip and comfort exceeded Schwalbe. The only con was gaining 1 lb in rolling weight because Schwalbe is race mode but takes a hit in durability and tubeless.

Haven't tried any other 2.6 but the extra cush from 2.35 is appreciated and the weight of the 2.6 was as advertised.

Small touches like the rectangle Bontrager logo molded in the sidewall of the 2.6. You'll know when you see it.

Recommended!
    Producer, Actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My 2018 Scott Genius 940 came stock with 29x2.6" Nobby Nics. In a word, badass. I love the bike and the support the tires provide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I see that the SE5 may soon be available in 29 x 2.6. From the pics, the side lugs look no bigger then the XR4 2.6. What I really want is an XR5 2.6 with 120TPI anyways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Measured my new Rekon 2.60 120 29's and they came in a little over at 750 and 780g. Website states 730

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I run Minnion DHF/DHR 27.7"x2.6 on my Evil Insurgent and as a big guy the grip and confidence I got from this set-up was tremendous. When I purchased my first 29er, an Orbea Rallon, I wanted the same setup but 2.6 not available so I went 2.5WT. Just as experiment on something new I tried out the Specialized Butcher/Purgatory 29x2.6 combo when they had a sale earlier this year. First ride I thought was horrible. Butcher rolled like I was riding in sand. Quick fix, I cut ramps into all of the squared center lugs and problem solved. Rolled comparably to the DHF that I was used to. Still not completely sold on the Purgatory rear but will probably run these til they wear out and put on the Minion setup after....Hopefully the 29x2.6 DHF/DHR will release soon as they are starting to spec them on production bikes like the New Scott Ranson that just released.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Measured my new Rekon 2.60 120 29's and they came in a little over at 750 and 780g. Website states 730
    The website states they are 780g. My two samples weighed in at 775g and 785g, so I'd say their rating is pretty accurate.

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-559-140-rekon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    ....Hopefully the 29x2.6 DHF/DHR will release soon as they are starting to spec them on production bikes like the New Scott Ranson that just released.
    Anyone have any insight regarding the release of the 2.6" DHF? Can any of you Scott Ranson owners measure it to see how close it I should to 2.6?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Any thoughts on proper true to size 2.35-2.4 tires like Hans Dampf / Magic Mary / Goma etc. versus the current crop of 2.6 offerings? From what I've read they can often stretch wider than their nominal widths while many 2.6:s fail to reach their advertised size. Also more weight and compound options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For a certain range of terrains and speeds-
    Bontrager XR Teams are designed for wide rims and lower pressures to create a bigger footprint for maximum traction.
    If you correctly pair the 2.35 or 2.4 with the right width rim 35mm inner the tires will perform better than a 2.6(40mm) on a skinnier rim than optimum at a higher pressure. Because your footprint will be bigger and less bouncy.

If you need stronger sidewalls for shale or high speeds from big elevations the SE tires can be options.