Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

1X9 or 1X10 29er set-up - good or bad ? ? ?

I am interested in possibly going to a 1X9 or a 1X10 set-up on my 29er.... What are your thoughts and opinions on weight savings vs practicality? Also, how easy is a 1X10 to set-up (or is it even possible)? I am coming from a single speed backgorund but would like something with more range (flats and hills). I race a little bit in 2-3 hour events and will be doing some 24 hour events next year and do like the idea of a simple 1X set-up with some range. What do you think?

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions - thank you

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Weight savings wasn't even in the cards for reasoning why I changed to 1x9. Its just easier to setup, less cluttered, and less maintenance. I don't miss my big ring or granny, but I never used them anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would definitely opt for a 1x10 with the 11-36 cassette. I run a 1x9 on my ti rigid with a 32 and 11-34 cassette and I would definitely like to have the extra two teeth in the back. Sure you can go with a smaller chainring than a 32 but then you're spinning out on the flats. I ride in an area that has lots of climbing and it has not been a problem, and I run heavy ass wheels and tires.
    I really like the 1x setup, not so much for the weight savings, but just for the direct simplicity of it.
    I use a rohloff chainguide which I had lying around, but I would definitely get an MRP 1x guide if i were to do it again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a 1X9 setup and I don't miss any of the other unused gears. You'll probably hear this from most but I just like it because of the simplicity. I just got back into riding about a year ago and it took my legs a few months to catch up to using the 1X9 but I don't I'll even go back.

WNC Native
    My next geared bike will most likely be 1x9 or 1x10 as well (unless it's an IGH setup).

I VERY RARELY ever use the small ring, and I fine without having the big ring too.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I didnt like the mrp 1.x at all...dropped my chain twice on the first ride, annoying (looking back now, may have been a bad x0 rear mech problem but who knows) the worst part was that i had the chain super short and a ss specific front ring and it still dropped.

i ran 1x9 for six months and half of that was racing. I ended up getting a dog fang chain keeper on the inside and a thin "bash" ring on the outside and didnt drop a chain once.

I really liked the set up for racing (32 front ring with 11-34 back). I will admit though now that i am done with racing for the year i am switching back to a 2x9. There are certain days when all you want to do is dilly dally up the hill, and 1x9 combo doesn't allow super easy riding up steep stuff. maybe the 1x10 would be better with the 36 tooth.

If you are a SS guy at heart and dont mind an occasional mashing of the pedals this would be an awesome set up for you.

dont worry about weight savings...that stuff if for the birds. but i may have dropped a little bit.

Rediscovered
    I run a 1x9 on my Niner with a 32T in the front and 11-34 in the rear. Raced all season on it, and loved it.

I originally went with this setup out of a desire for simplicity. Was tired of excess chain slap and I never used the front derailleur anyway on my last bike. The decreased weight was just an added bonus.

I run a N-gear jumpstop on the inside, and a BBG 32T ultralight bash ring on the outside.

Ya, right.
    I converted my Niner EMD9 to a 1x9--32t front, 11-34 rear--back in May and will never go back to full gears on it. It's awesome and I love the challenge.

The challenge is why I did it. My knees could never really take riding a Single Speed, so this was the next best thing. Knocking out a hard ride on a HT 29er 1x9 gives you a great sense of accomplishment, especially when you are riding just as, if not stronger than everyone else in your group with full gears.

You'd also be surprised how much you can clean when you don't have any other options. There's a climb on my home loop that always gave me fits riding on my fully geared FS bike. First time riding it on my 1x9 I cleaned it with no problem at all.

Go for it--you won't be sorry!!

I can also recommend the MRP guide. I've been running mine for about a month with zero dropped chains!

I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Did I catch a niner?
    I think for wagon wheels a 1x10 would be a good idea. I road a 2011 XTR group drivetrain this past weekend. It was on a 2011 Top Fuel 9.9 SSL but the extra gear was nice and can only imagine how sweet it would help the monster truck bike. I ride SS exclusively in the 3 seasons then a 1x9 in the winter (odd I know). My 1x9 has no bashguard or chainguide but I have not dropped it yet, the front is a SS salsa steel ring 32t and it has gone through some big shifts quick and no drop. The rear der is a X.7.

On the video "the white looks badass." lol
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

FIRENZE rulez !!
    here my 1 x10 set up on a helixed &leftied Lynskey

X.0 2011 and 11-36T

X.0 gripshift modified for 10 speed and for different cable ratio

the chainguard is projected to work in the right place when chain starts to fall.

when you are pedalling , the tooth starts to loose chain is soon stopped in its action .

made in Italy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1X9 or 1X10 29er set-up - good or bad ? ? ?-hpim1018.jpg  

1X9 or 1X10 29er set-up - good or bad ? ? ?-hpim1016.jpg  

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    1x10 here on a Tallboy

Wouldn't go back to a double unless I went to the NC mountains for an extended time.
    The 36t cassette is great; I'm running a 38 on the front.
    Last edited by fleanutz; 10-20-2010 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I changed mine over about 6 months ago. Running an old Cannondale Coda set of 5 arm cranks and a 30t ring in front with 12-36 cassette in back. I can clean everything on it, and still have enough high gear to commute with. I don't run any sort of chain guard and haven't had issues with chain drop except when I crash. I would recommend it

mtbr member
    I like 1x9 on most all rides. I'll be putting the granny gear back on for a back-to-back ride/race I'm doing called the Double Dare- two 12 hour orienteering courses back to back with 6 hours between legs to...recover, I guess?

Anyhoo, the 1X9 works all the time otherwise, but my legs feel "more cashed" after 5-6 hours because I haven't had the granny to spin out in.
    The MRP works great, IME, but was a beeaaatccch to set-up. What seems like should be easy as pie took about 1 hour of focussed work.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I used the MRP last year but now am using the Paul's and like it a LOT better. No pulling the BB to set it up, which is nice
    http://www.paulcomp.com/ckclamp.html

If the eThirteen XCX-ST ever gets released I think I would like it the best. Maybe for the next bike...
    http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx_st.html

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    I used the MRP last year but now am using the Paul's and like it a LOT better. No pulling the BB to set it up, which is nice
    http://www.paulcomp.com/ckclamp.html

If the eThirteen XCX-ST ever gets released I think I would like it the best. Maybe for the next bike...
    http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx_st.html
    Well there is a seat tube clamp version of the 1x now too. It's available and shipping now.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am also coverting my bike to 1x10.
    my only question is, what about a bashguard?
    I was looking at the E13 LG1+
    http://www.e13components.com/product_lg1plus.html
    and the E13 XCX
    http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx.html

would it be stupid to put a bashguard on a hardtail?
    I do some big log crossings but I mainly wanted it for extra piece of mind knowing the chain cannot come off.
    what do you guys think?

Ramp Local
    I run a bashguard on my hardtail. Will soon be runnin The Widget 32t. for a chainguide/ light bashguard

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AptosRider
    I run a bashguard on my hardtail. Will soon be runnin The Widget 32t. for a chainguide/ light bashguard
    do you think the LG1+ would be overkill?

Ramp Local
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrphy
    do you think the LG1+ would be overkill?
    That guide is more for downhill type riding. Check out The Widget. http://www.widgit.com.au/

mtbr member
    I run a bash and dog fang... on my 1x9 (34 x 11-34) and it works alright ... I've lost the chain a couple of times - but that's in hundreds of miles of riding.

I think it's due to the distance from the Seat Tube to the single ring and how the dog fang lines up... it is a tad short so to keep the gap does not drop onto the chainring.

I'm likely going to get a Paul Chain Keeper. I also looked at the Widgit and were it not for price - I'd use it.

S

Edited for clarity
    Last edited by stevereeneo; 10-22-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    bb-mounted MRP 1x install didn't seem too bad to me, and it has not had any problems or rubbing since

I didn't get the angle of the backing plate exactly right the first time so I did have to pull the BB once to change that. I think it could use some marks to help orient it easier, but I guess those might not be universal enough for the different bikes it will go on.

The cage rubbed a bit in the smallest cog using the included chainline spacer, but a single mylar washer (from any hardware store) was enough to dial it in perfectly

Meat Clever
    Not looking for argument, but I've ridden SS exclusively (32 chain ring and rear cog varying from 18 to 22) for the last 2 years and cannot imagine 1X using the chain rings you guys are stating resulting in cleaning climbs here in SoCal.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Well there is a seat tube clamp version of the 1x now too. It's available and shipping now.
    Good stuff! I had heard it was in the works but I didn't see it on the website during my quick search

Ya, right.
    The MRP chain guide with the BB mount is the only way to go. It's not that hard to install and the clean seat tube appearance is awesome!!
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast