mtbr member
    Dec 2012

1st 29r build with no expertise! Need Help!

I just started racing and riding Mt bikes this year. I bought a Trek Rig single speed(stock 2011) this spring and started riding with some buddies. I picked the single speed for no reason other than it was different. I really like the single speed; not having to worry about shifting and what not. It works for me. I even did three races in the single speed class and did well. I have found that the rims are not up to my pounding and have had multiply issues with spokes breaking. Also, I can not seem to keep the rear rim from moving on me when I hit a g-outs. I am always re aligning the rear wheel and adjusting the caliper. Lastly, the breaks fade and have gotten worse as the year has progressed. I like the fork though. Fox 29r something or other.

A little back ground. I live in Northern Illinois. I enjoy riding single track of any type of terrain. Rocky, roots, rutted or whatever. As long as it is single track and the tighter the better. I am 6'3 192 lb adrenaline seeking teenager locked in a 40 year old body. I enjoy hard anything type of sports.

I have raced offroad motorcycles for about the last five years. National enduros, hare scrambles, endurance races, and more. No MX. Most of the our races use the same single track type of terrain. So, reading trail for the Mt biking and offroad racing are very similar. However, things happen a little faster on the motorcycle.

So, here is where I need help. Most of my buddlies ride carbon hard tail specialized. Thats great, its a super nice bike. However, with the motorcycles racing, I found that there are many more informed riders out there that could have saved me money, time and growing pains if I would have ask for help.

Help!! I would like to have a 29r carbon hard tail for next year. I would like a nice suspension fork, good wheel set and hubs and good brakes. I think I would like to stay with the single speed but would like to option to have to do a 1 x 3 or something else. I am not looking to keep it under 20lbs but not over 27 would be nice. I would like to spend money on the important parts and save where I am not as worried about shaving grams. I do not have a budget because I am not sure of what things cost. I don think I want to spend more than 2500.00 but I am hoping you can bring in some creative ideas to build a great bike at a great price. I have just started to look into this industry and find that I am pretty much clueless. So please keep your terminology simple for me as I am just learning the vocabulary of Mt bikers. Please note that most of my riding is fast, flowing, technical single track with smaller hills, not mountains.

I would like to thank everybody in advance for their comments and feedback. I will read all feedback and investigate your proposals. Thanks !

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2012 Scott 29er Scale Expert Carbon Mountain Bike Stans Crest Wheels XT SLX | eBay
    If you can take a large. Change the rims to ArchEx and the brakes to SLX.. For single speeding leave it in one gear or make changes. The fork is a dual air Reba, which should be fine or you can swap in your Fox.
    Second option is a Grand Canyon CF SLX 29. It "may" begin being offered in the US in 2013 according to some rumors. One was entered in the Leadville 100 this year as a sponsored team bike and won.
    .Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon CF SLX 29 8.9
    Same wheel and brake changes.
    Third option is to buy a Chinese carbon like a HongFu FM056 or newer version coming soon and use a $1k Fuji Tahoe as a donor. Same brake upgrade and wheel change.
    Here is a Chinese and Scott.followed by a Canyon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st 29r build with no expertise! Need Help!-chinese-scott.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the response eb1888.

Two questions. Would I be better to buy a one year old big with upgraded parts already? And is a carbon bike for single speed riding a stupid thought?

Last, I like the trek rig and fox f29 32 series fork. would it be silly to keep the frame and fork only and upgrade everything else. Can you give me some ideas of wheels, cranks(180's maybe), brakes, stem and hubs. I am looking for medium grade parts, not top of the line.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Howdy to a fellow xc ohv fan. I'm an ex-dirtbike/atv xc racer myself. Got into racing bikes this year as well. The Rig is a great bike and plenty capable for what you want to do with it for quite some time. If your happy w/ the bike by all means keep it! Bicycles are just like your dirtbike (if not more so) in the way that you take a base machine and modify the options to make it work better for you. As another poster mentioned I would upgrade the wheels to a set of Stans Arch ex/ZTR wheelset. I will say I'm uncertain how sturdy the ZTR hubs are for a SS though. May want to ask on this site. They may be fine though. As for the brakes, it depends on your budget. If your trying to keep your budget low get a set of Shimano SLX brakes as already stated. If your pockets are deeper go ahead and get some XT or even XTR brakes. You can get some high end wheels and a brake set and still be quite a bit under your $2500 budget.

If your set on getting a new bike theres nothing wrong w/ modifying a geared bike to a SS. Better yet, I would go with a 1x10 setup. Keeps things pretty simple and still gives you options. Carbon bikes vs Aluminum is all personal preference and budget based. For a $2500 budget your not gonna have very high end components on the carbon bike for original equipment from the big bike co's. But you will get a very good frame and probably a good fork. The wheels will more than likely not be any better than the ones you have now though. Do some homework on what companys offer what and decide if you wanna buy new or used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I built a set of ArchEx wheels with a DtSwiss star ratchet rear hub with changeable endcaps and SuperComp spokes. Park TM-1 tensioning gauge lets you do it. Most bikes do not come with good wheels. SLX crankset. XT shifters and clutch rear derailleur if you go geared. SLX or XT brakes. Easton carbon bars, Uno stem, Ergon grips.
    You can set a carbon frame up single speed and rigid for a very light bike. Or upgrade your frame and fork You can get good deals on parts on ebay or at sales at this time of year. You have to add up the costs for different options. Sometimes a deal on a used complete can be a good value, but even an upgraded bike can still need more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    fllynbryan19...I think there are a lot of riders crossing over into Mt biking. You will see Charlie Mullins, Bobbitt. Delong all riding mt bikes around at the national enduros before the race. It has been a lot of fun riding pedal bikes this year and is much easier, cheaper, and faster to just through the bike in the truck to ride or race.

Thanks for your insight. I do not need a new bike. I just did not know if the Rig was a solid ride for what I am doing. To be honest, I like nice stuff but have found that it does not improve my results all the time. Kinda like offroad riding. I always love when some no name guy or kid shows up at a race with a clapped out smoker and blows away the AA line. Does not happen much but it is a hoot when it does!

So, if the Rig is a good ride, I have no pride in riding the bike for a couple more years. I am only doing a couple of bike races a year and riding at our local single track. Enough money goes out the door for parts on my KTM, tires, gas, and anything else that needs to be replaces when I clip a tree!

I would like some nice wheels and brakes. So I will look into the XT products you talked about. Do I need new rotors or will the stock ones work? The cranks, do they make a big difference? My only concern is that the rear brackets to keep tension on the chain does not want to stay put. When I hit a big g out, the my chain tension goes slack. I have not figured out why but the wheel moves. Any ideas to keep the wheel in one position? I can check the SS forum too.

Thanks again. Do you do any riding anymore? Sumter Enduro in Feburary!!!

mtbr member
    If i were you before i buy a new hard tail or a lot of parts for your bike i would take a couple test rides on a full suspension bike like the sc tall boy, little more money but i would check my options first, I started on a fat bike then a hard tail and now full suspension and i think i could have saved myself some money starting full squish! Test rides are free!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Its funny you should mention Charlie Mullins. He races our local mountain bike series in the spring/summer. Justin Brayton and Zack Osborne also run the series from time to time. It is CERTAINLY cheaper/easier than loading up the dirtbike/atv. If you are happy with the bike I would invest in a good quality wheelset and brakeset. The XT's will serve you well and fight the fading well. Being a bigger fella you may want to upgrade to 180mm rotors instead of 160mm which is what you probably have now. Just like on the dirtbikes the larger rotors will help fight brake fade.

As for the tensioners coming loose, I would recommend posting in the SS specific section or the Trek section. I'm sure your not the first to have this problem.

As for me and riding, I go when I get the chance which is not often these days. I get to ride my bicycles twice a week though. I haven't raced a gncc since Steel Creek in 11'. Have fun at Sumter! I've been there quite a bit. VERY fun place to ride/race if you like sand whoops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oh and I missed the crank question the last go around.... I had only ridden on entry level cranks so I can not speak from experience, but I've been told the biggest benefits are stiffer cranks equating to better forward movement (important for the extra stress put on a SS) and of course lighter weight. Again, if money allows I would do in this order; wheelset (best you can afford for your budget), brakes (xt or better), and finally cranks(again research and find best option). You will find that your wheelset/tire combo makes the biggest difference on a bicycle. Its the equivalent to riding a stock sx/mx suspended dirtbike and having it setup for your weight and specifically for enduro/xc riding. My wheelset made a HUGE difference on my bike and really brought the handling/acceleration to life.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Did a little searching on google under MTBR.... It appears your chain adjustment issue is not just you. If you bought your bike new you may want to look into this. This is just one thread. There are several if you google "Trek Rig tension problems".

2012 Gary fisher trek rig redesign chain tensioners ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I heard Mullins was doing Mt races. It is a great sport and helps you in motorbike racing so why not.

Hmmm, that article makes me a little nervous about upgrading my bike. I have replaced all the drop out bolt with a heavier grade bolts, rethreaded the drop outs and this has seem to help. But I can not keep my rotors from rubbing the pads. I think that problem is a wheel issue more than a drop out issue. I am going to take a closer look at the frame before I make a decision.

topcat...Thanks for your input. However, our terrain here makes FS bikes(IMO) over kill. Demo of bikes is a great idea but our local shops our not big shops with huge inventories. They carry alot of entry level bikes. So, I have to wait for a demo day next year to try out some bikes.

eb1888---I was going to look at the stans wheels with DT swiss hubs. However, I felt overwhelmed when I looked on the website of all the models. Thanks for making specific suggestions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    They have a chart on their website thats very helpful and simplifies things. You can also give them a call. They are kind and very helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thought I'd chime in. Raced HS/enduro until '06, when I started racing MTB. Used to live in Iowa and did some of Gusse's HS and a few Moose Runs.

You're on the right track with the 29er hardtail. You don't need FS in that neck of the woods, and you'll get more bike at a given pricepoint.

Too bad you're having that trouble with the Rig. My Fisher XCaliber (older gen) has been great. The frame has broken twice, but Trek and my LBS replaced both fast and free. So maybe your dealer can help get the tensioner problem sorted.

If you get another bike, consider the Tomac Flint 29er. Aluminum, but very light, handles great, and can run SS or geared.
    When I retired the XCal, I just swapped over all the parts to the Tomac and got a new wheelset. It's at 24.5 lbs with mid level components.

As another poster said, wheelsets do you give you the most bang for the buck, so it's a good place to spend money. At 200#, I'm tough on wheels, and haven't found any wheelsets that are light, strong and cheap.
    Good luck!
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

08 Schwinn Sierra TDM (gravel tandem)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    KTM300..I run a couple of the Gussie races and try to make the moose run every year. Since your club did not put on the leaf river enduro this year, Ryan moss and I were able to ride the moose run. It was a blast!!

I did not realize that Gussie put on mt bike race back in the 80's until I was taking with a fellow MT rider about the motorcycle races. The three guys stated that his races were legendary and they still talk about them today. Nothing like they have today. Basically, he did not see the difference between bikes or motorcycles. So both course looked the same. Brutal for bike. Logs and all!!

I think I am going to retool my bike unless I can find a killer deal on a frame. I have been parts shopping and there are some good deal to be had right now. I will look at the tomac too.

Thanks for your chime!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ktm300 I too have an X-Caliber (12' model) and love it! Its a great bike and with basic upgrades have it down to 24.5lbs. Woodsrider, your Rig is the same basic frame as our X-Cal's just with a few SS specific items. If you can sort out the chain/wheel tension issues you have a very solid bike that should last you for years to come.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    2012 Scott 29er Scale Expert Carbon Mountain Bike Stans Crest Wheels XT SLX | eBay
    If you can take a large. Change the rims to ArchEx and the brakes to SLX.. For single speeding leave it in one gear or make changes. The fork is a dual air Reba, which should be fine or you can swap in your Fox.
    Second option is a Grand Canyon CF SLX 29. It "may" begin being offered in the US in 2013 according to some rumors. One was entered in the Leadville 100 this year as a sponsored team bike and won.
    .Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon CF SLX 29 8.9
    Same wheel and brake changes.
    Third option is to buy a Chinese carbon like a HongFu FM056 or newer version coming soon and use a $1k Fuji Tahoe as a donor. Same brake upgrade and wheel change.
    Here is a Chinese and Scott.followed by a Canyon
    Beautiful bike