mtbr member
    Feb 2011

17' Trek Fuel ex8 29 Vs 16' Remedy 8 29 Vs 16' Enduro Comp 29

A friend is having hard time to decide... All bikes are new from LBS with nice clearance prices.

He is ~220 lbs geard up, rides mostly singletracks and occasional long desert rides.

I have a 2016 E29 and I like it a lot. It's plush, it rides great and climbes as good as 120mm 29ers, 1x11 GX drivetrain . Oh... and it has a stock RS PIKE fork!
    On the other hand, I had a 2012 Rumblefish and liked it too. Trek sure knows how to build good bikes.

As for the 2017 Fuel ex8 - It looks like the 2017-2018 new Fuel is kind of a 2015-2016 Remedy... burlier, stiffer frame, and a little more travel compared to the 2016 Fuels. 2017 Fuel has a Fox Rhythm fork and shimano XT 2x11, while the 2016 Remedy has a Fox Performance 34 FIT4 and 1x11 GX drivetrain.

I ride the E29 so I'm biased.
    What's your call? which bike would you piHas anyone try all 3 and can share his thoughts?

Short-Change-Hero
    All are great bikes so really going to come down to the spec of the bike and how your buddy rides.
    I personally don't like the feel of shimano stuff so I would go with the Remedy and then swap the Fox (too many bad experiences with them) for something else.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Of the Treks I would go with the Remedy. These bikes received stellar reviews as a superb all around bike. Your buddy being 220lbs. also might be better suited for the Remedy since its a bit burlier. Also, one thing about the Remedy is the high bottom bracket. Even in the low setting you are going to get far fewer pedal strikes than the Fuel or Enduro Comp. I personally believe the industry has gotten way to carried away with low bottom brackets but I may be biased as I live in New England which is rock city...and I hate constant pedal strikes. Lots of people complained about the Fuel being low. The Specialized is usually low as well (to low for me anyway) otherwise a very competent bike.
    Biased maybe.....I also just found and purchased a new leftover 2016 Remedy 8 29'er for a great price. I've wanted one of these for quite awhile and was shocked to see it discontinued after so many raving reviews.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    E29 climbs as well as 120mm 29ers? Fukin LOL. That bike climbs like hot garbage especially if you're out of the saddle trying to ascend a technical bit.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Of the Treks I would go with the Remedy. These bikes received stellar reviews as a superb all around bike. Your buddy being 220lbs. also might be better suited for the Remedy since its a bit burlier. Also, one thing about the Remedy is the high bottom bracket. Even in the low setting you are going to get far fewer pedal strikes than the Fuel or Enduro Comp. I personally believe the industry has gotten way to carried away with low bottom brackets but I may be biased as I live in New England which is rock city...and I hate constant pedal strikes. Lots of people complained about the Fuel being low. The Specialized is usually low as well (to low for me anyway) otherwise a very competent bike.
    Biased maybe.....I also just found and purchased a new leftover 2016 Remedy 8 29'er for a great price. I've wanted one of these for quite awhile and was shocked to see it discontinued after so many raving reviews.
    I'm with ya. Clyde as well here. I went with 16 Remedy 9 29er and loved it enough I picked up a 17 remedy frame to build a carbon 27.5 version.

For a bigger guy the remedy takes a serious pounding. I ride NE like mentioned and lots of rocky areas is NY. 230 lbs and the remedy's still climb damn well.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    A friend is having hard time to decide... All bikes are new from LBS with nice clearance prices.

He is ~220 lbs geard up, rides mostly singletracks and occasional long desert rides.

I have a 2016 E29 and I like it a lot. It's plush, it rides great and climbes as good as 120mm 29ers, 1x11 GX drivetrain . Oh... and it has a stock RS PIKE fork!
    On the other hand, I had a 2012 Rumblefish and liked it too. Trek sure knows how to build good bikes.

As for the 2017 Fuel ex8 - It looks like the 2017-2018 new Fuel is kind of a 2015-2016 Remedy... burlier, stiffer frame, and a little more travel compared to the 2016 Fuels. 2017 Fuel has a Fox Rhythm fork and shimano XT 2x11, while the 2016 Remedy has a Fox Performance 34 FIT4 and 1x11 GX drivetrain.

I ride the E29 so I'm biased.
    What's your call? which bike would you piHas anyone try all 3 and can share his thoughts?
    The type of riding fits the Fuel.
    Unless he is doing some trails with awesome DH section. No need for the remedy.

The 2017+ fuels are nothing like a 2016 Fuel. and Do not climb like a 120mm 29er bike.

IF your friend ever wanted to dip into the 27.5+ tire range the fuel fits that. It was made for that unlike the remedy. I can't speak for the Enduro, I do not own any specialized bikes nor will I, A old friend of mine had a Enduro and a remedy 29er. He said the remedy was badass compared to it
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Personally I wouldn't buy any bike without a 1x11 or 1x12 drivetrain.

Trek makes a much better bike in 2018 than specialized, imo, but you're talking about older models.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    E29 climbs as well as 120mm 29ers? Fukin LOL. That bike climbs like hot garbage especially if you're out of the saddle trying to ascend a technical bit.

Before the E29 I had a Trek Rumblefish with a 120mm fork.
    My E29 came with a 160mm fork, and I shortened it to a 150mm.

You may LOL but I truly feel that it climbes as good as the 120mm (NOT worse for sure). I don't make more effort in climbing and the 150mm fork doesn't make it hard for me on the climbes.
    Yeah, I'm aware that the E29 is NOT an S-WORKS Epic, I know that there are lots of bikes that climb better, but it takes me anywhere I want to go, up or down and that's why I bought it. FWIW, I tested a 2017 Trek Fuel Ex8 at Trek's demo day a few months ago. With a 130mm fork, I didn't feel that the Fuel climbed way better or easier than my E29.

My friend is going to get the Remedy. He likes the ride,components, burlier frame and the nice price.