mtbr member
    May 2009

13 trek marlin or rockhopper

I'm 5'8 173 pounds. Been to the bike store and looked and road many bikes. I have narrowed it down to the Marlin which I can pick up for 569 or I can pay more for the rockhopper for 750. I liked both bikes after riding them but like the looks of the rockhopper a lot more. Is the rockhopper worth the extra almost $200 or am I better off buying the marlin and saving the money to upgrade the fork in the future. I will be riding light trails and road. Any help will be appreciated plan on buying my first non walmart bike tomorrow and don't really know anything about them the reason I wanted to pick it up from a shop that I can build a relation ship with.

mtbr member
    If they have the same components I would go with the Marlin...the fork is really the weakest link on the bike.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Marlin has the current geo and Spec is still last gen.
    Both need a fork upgrade to ride trails.
    Suntour says this about the fork---
    "RTR: Recreational trail
    Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep climbs or downhills! Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house."

Nick at Suntour offers a Raidon air fork for 189+10 ship or an Epicon

So for the price of the Hop you can have a better bike with stable geo ready for trails.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for all the help just went to the shop and picked up the Marlin. Thanks for the link. Will have to check that out.

mtbr member
    Ahw I guess I'm too late. The Marlin has G2 geometry which in my experience most of the customers at our shop didn't like a whole lot compared to the rockhopper. The Rockhopper also has a tapered head tube, a bit more aggressive geometry a hydraulic lock-out on the fork so you can lock-out on the fly instead of having to take all ur weight off the bike to lock it out like you do on spring forks. Rockhopper also has hydraulic brakes. Not to mention Trek kinda dropped the ball on the Marlin this year cuz in our shop we have the Marlin sitting right next to the Hard Rock Sport Disc 29 which is almost the exact same bike but it has hydraulic brakes and the Marlin is only $10 cheaper. Who the fk wouldn't pay $10 for hydros? Also we are all good friends with our Specialized rep who frequents the shop and is a blast to have around when hes here, and I've only seen our Trek rep once ever in my entire term of employment, and he never even said a word to any one but the owner, didn't look around our shop, didn't have anything new to show us or anything. Also the 2014 Treks were super disappointing this year too, I built 5-6 the other day and they were terrible, super cheesy components wrapped in a mediocre paint job. Not a big Trek fan these days I guess...
    Nature never said one thing, and wisdom another...