11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mamba

1 9.09%
  • Cobia

10 90.91%
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

'13 Trek Mamba vs '13 Trek Cobia

I'm just getting into mountain biking after not having ridden for over 8 years. I just graduated collage and I decided this be fun and a good way to loose weight since I have a bunch of free time now.

My research has gotten me to these two bikes. I was initially interested in the Trek Marlin since I had one when I last rode (it was still a Gary Fisher at the time). The bike shop I went to suggested the Mamba over it since it has a decent increase in components. So I've been researching the Mamba and it seems to get very mixed reviews. The Cobia's reviews on the other hand are much better and seem to be generally positive.

The bike shop down the road from me wants $928 for the Mamba and I don't know about the Cobia but I assume about $200 more. Is the Cobia worth the extra money? The Mamba was already a bit more than I wanted to spend but I don't want to buy a Mamba and then spend more upgrading it. It would seem like the Cobia is worth it for the better brakes, drive train, and shock. Also I'm 6' 245lbs, kind of why I think the air shock might be better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I went with the Cobia over the mamba. Part of it was the color scheme in 2011, but I also wanted the slightly better components. I think it was the lowest level 29 hard tail with hydro brakes at the time.

I was 285lbs at the time, now slightly over 300lbs. Need to slim back down. I just had a new wheelset built for it, and since I bought it I upgraded the pedals, handlebars, grips, and tires. I also put a 203mm rotor in the front and plan todo the same in the back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

My Cobia btw...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A buddy of mine has the Mamba, I have the Cobia both are 13' Go for the cobia if you can swing it, generally everything is better all the way around.....I did break a RD and upgraded it to a x7 but that was my fault a large stick was stuck in the rear spokes and I didnt stop quick enough to prevent damage....both bikes have been great though. I also had the poploc put in so I have a remote lockout for the fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight369 View Post

My Cobia btw...
    That's nice. The only thing I don't really like about the current Cobia are the color options.

I went and test road a Mamba today and I really should have waited to make this thread because I'm definitely not getting one. It would probably be fine if I were 50-60lbs lighter but the fork felt to mushy for me and I couldn't even lock the rear brake.

I also test road a Cannondale Trail SL2 which has most of the same components as the Cobia and now that is the decision I have to make.I liked the SL2 a lot, much better brakes, the air shock felt better and it shifted really well. So I should have waited and made this thread "Cannondale Trail SL2 vs Trek Cobia" becuase that what I'm choosing from now.

Hopefully they'll have a Cobia later in the week that I can try so I can make a decision. The Cannondale is slightly more expensive but the difference is only about $50.

Thanks for the help so far.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I believe the frame on the cobia/mamba are no where near as good as the cannondale. I have the 2011 SL frame and there have been some changes but for the most part they are the same now. My buddy has the marlin frame from last year which I believe is the same as the current frame on the marlin/mamba/cobia. Cannondale's frame is much better IMO

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Are they inflating the fork to you weight when you test? If one is low on pressure, it might feel too squishy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Mamba has a spring fork so there's no easy adjusting for stiffness. The Cannondale has the RockShox Recon Silver (that the Cobia has too) which was adjusted for me before I rode it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Yeah, I have no issues with the Recon. I have nothing higher end to compare it too though. I may upgrade it someday, but it would be the last thing on my list. Brakes are next on my list...mine came with the Promax Hornets on not Hayes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like a 10% discount on the Mamba, so a Cobia will be 1128+ tax.
    For that price you can look at a bike built by Kinesis, the Taiwanese manufacturer of Trek's frames from Bike Direct. Very similar geo to the Cobia.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point5 29er Mountain Bikes
    This bike has XT/XTR drive and a Rockshox Reba 2012 dual air fork, one of the best 32mm fork out there. Rockshox dumbed it down to a less small bump tuneable solo air version for 2013. Read about them in the Suspension section.
    SLX brakes are a recommended upgrade for a bike with Avid brakes. 80 a wheel at Bluesky. Check Brakes.

The last gen steep 71 degree HT angle on the Cannondale will be more twitchy than the slacker 69 from Trek/BD on fast downhills and the Trek/BD will rail fast turns more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My Cobia btw...
    Looks great, Cobia FTW!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    Looks great, Cobia FTW!!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, I have no issues with the Recon. I have nothing higher end to compare it too though. I may upgrade it someday, but it would be the last thing on my list. Brakes are next on my list...mine came with the Promax Hornets on not Hayes.
    Both the SL2 and Current Cobia have Avid Elixer 1 brakes on them. They worked much better than the Hayes on the Mamba I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The last gen steep 71 degree HT angle on the Cannondale will be more twitchy than the slacker 69 from Trek/BD on fast downhills and the Trek/BD will rail fast turns more.
    What does this mean exactly?

Currently the Cannondale is winning for me but I still have yet to ride a Cobia.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Made a decision and bought this a couple days ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The head tube angle is basically a measure of how vertical the front fork is with respect to the ground. If the bike is on a flat level surface, then a head tube angle of 90 is perfectly perpendicular to the ground. As the angle decreases (becomes "slacker"), the front fork becomes more parallel to the ground. Therefore, when going downhill, a slacker HT angle will allow the fork to absorb bumps better than a less slack one because more of the force from the bumps will be transmitted along the length of the fork's travel. So for steeper terrain, a slacker HT angle is desirable, hence DH bikes with angles around ~63-65 and XC bikes with HT angles around ~69-71.

I bought a Mamba. Looks like I'm the only one that supports the decision, but that was all my LBS had in stock. No regrets!