mtbr member

Is the '13 Stumpy Comp 29er HT the best bang for $?

Last year I picked up a poorly maintained 2010 Stumpjumper Comp 29er off of Craigslist for ~$600, rode the piss out of it, but ultimately sold it (for profit) due to it needing a good bit of maintenance and terrible brakes. Now that I've been on the roadie for about 6 months, I have the itch again, but this time I want to buy new. I absolutely fell in love with the bike and how it rode... aside from mechanical hiccups and the lousy Avid brakes, the bike was a dream. I'm basically looking to get back into the same bike, or something equivelent, or maybe better?

Mike's Bikes here in Sacramento can get a 2013 Stumpy for $1999 with a $150 gift card added on top of it. The 2013's come with a new-to-Specialized Magura brakes, that are supposed to be much improved over the Avids. So far, I've yet to find anything that is spec'd as nicely for roughly the same money. Is this pretty much the best deal to be had?

Just for clarity, I value climbing over descending, hence why I like the HT Stumpy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have and old (vintage) Stumpy and looked very hard at the 2012 Stumpjumper Comp (HT) but ended up buying an Airborne (new) Goblin. It is spec'd very similar to the (2012) Stumpy so it has the Avid Elixir 7 brakes you aren't a fan of but it is a whole lot less money.

I'm very happy with my decision and the $800 I saved!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    I have and old (vintage) Stumpy and looked very hard at the 2012 Stumpjumper Comp (HT) but ended up buying an Airborne (new) Goblin. It is spec'd very similar to the (2012) Stumpy so it has the Avid Elixir 7 brakes you aren't a fan of but it is a whole lot less money.

I'm very happy with my decision and the $800 I saved!
    I actually JUST saw a post on Reddit regarding Airborne. I checked out the Goblin, and although I'm not a fan of the color scheme, you can't argue with the price difference. But to me, there are a number of fairly significant compromises (for me at least) being made to get the bike to that price point, brakes, wheelset, and tires most importantly. This will end up being a bike that I keep for quite some time, so I'm not opposed to spending another $800 for something I wont feel the need to upgrade as much later on down the road.

Great suggestion though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Another advantage to the Goblin is the tuneable dual air Reba fork. 2013 SJ has a solo Reba. Ad some SLX brakes to the Goblin and you are still ahead. The Hi/Lo rear hub on the SJ is a heavy 2 pawl low quality Joi-Tech piece. worth replacing. So both bikes would benefit from wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    But to me, there are a number of fairly significant compromises (for me at least) being made to get the bike to that price point, brakes, wheelset, and tires most importantly.
    Great suggestion though!
    A couple of other things to consider... You could always sell the wheelset and brakes and use that money, and some of the $800, to buy upgraded parts. Also, Airborne is about to release an XO version of the Goblin with some very significant upgrades (XO full 2x10 groupset, Black Flag Pro wheelset, Reba RLT fork w/15mm Maxle, FSA SLK Bars/stem/post) but the price is likely to be 200-250 more than than the 2013 Stumpy Comp's retail price. Heck of a spec, tho.

I had budgeted around $2k for a new bike for myself and bought the Goblin expecting to upgrade the wheelset and some other items (seatpost, stem, bar) to get the weight down some but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the stock items.

Good luck with your decision!

mtbr member
    A couple of other things to consider... You could always sell the wheelset and brakes and use that money, and some of the $800, to buy upgraded parts. Also, Airborne is about to release an XO version of the Goblin with some very significant upgrades (XO full 2x10 groupset, Black Flag Pro wheelset, Reba RLT fork w/15mm Maxle, FSA SLK Bars/stem/post) but the price is likely to be 200-250 more than than the 2013 Stumpy Comp's retail price. Heck of a spec, tho.

I had budgeted around $2k for a new bike for myself and bought the Goblin expecting to upgrade the wheelset and some other items (seatpost, stem, bar) to get the weight down some but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the stock items.

Good luck with your decision!
    You make a hell of an arguement, no doubt. I just noticed that as of a few hours ago, they listed the 2013 Goblin for $50 more, but dropped the price of last years to $950! It's only available in a 22" model though. I rode a 21" Stumpy and found that I was absolutly PERFECT on that bike... the Airborne in 22" has a geometry roughly between a 21" and a 23" Stumpy. I'm wondering if it would be too large, or is it something a shorter stem could fix. I'm between 6'1" and 6'2", with a fairly long torso.

At that price, I could almost replace half the parts and still be ahead... I just need to know it fits though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah. I'm 6'4" and almost bought one of those "leftover" original Goblins. It really is a steal at $950. There are some differences you should be aware of, tho. The geometry is very slightly different - the new one has more mud clearance around the chainstays. The color is different - bright green - I'm not a fan but you might like it. Also, the "new" goblin has a tapered headtube. Sure did get good reviews, tho. It's what got me looking at Airborne in the first place.

Buying a bike that I couldn't ride first was a tough decision but in the end I couldn't find anything my size in town so it would have been the same regardless.

mtbr member
    Yeah. I'm 6'4" and almost bought one of those "leftover" original Goblins. It really is a steal at $950. There are some differences you should be aware of, tho. The geometry is very slightly different - the new one has more mud clearance around the chainstays. The color is different - bright green - I'm not a fan but you might like it. Also, the "new" goblin has a tapered headtube. Sure did get good reviews, tho. It's what got me looking at Airborne in the first place.

Buying a bike that I couldn't ride first was a tough decision but in the end I couldn't find anything my size in town so it would have been the same regardless.
    Well my only real concern is the geometry really. The 22" comes with a 120mm stem, and I can always stem it down to relieve some of the reach, if that's an issue (which I imagine it would be). But on my Stumpy, I was at home... it climbed like crazy, was fast as hell, and I never felt like I was going to go over the bars or lift the front wheel on steep climbs... it just worked. That's really my main reason for wanting another one. The Airborne comes with a 30-day money back guaruntee, which I guess I could always fall back on if I hated it... but that's really a hassle I'd rather not have to deal with.

Can you perhaps elaborate on the "very slightly" different geometry? Can you attest to the differences based on your riding of the two bikes in question?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can you perhaps elaborate on the "very slightly" different geometry? Can you attest to the differences based on your riding of the two bikes in question?
    No, I didn't ride the original Goblin, just the new one. The geometry changes were very minor from what i've read. I can tell you that, going from my old (1994) Stumpjumper 26" bike I was expecting it to be less nimble and more sluggish (common descriptions of 26" vs 29" bikes) but I didn't see any of that. I'm super happy with my new Goblin and don't hesitate (obviously) to recommend it.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I'm 6'7", and I picked up a 2012 SJ comp HT. First thing I loved about the bike was the colour. Its not for everyone but it was hands down the nicest one of the bikes I was looking to purchase. And they had a 23" frame they gave me a deal on.

Then I got to ride it, its my first 29er so kinda a newb but I thought it was outstanding. Prolly got 6 rides on it and each one brings a newer, bigger smile to my face. Compared to my old bike this thing is SUPER light, quick, and fearless. I took on some many lines I normally would avoid. I love the 2x10

I was gonna grab a Goblin, I'm not gonna hate on it. I think its a smokin deal. But I got a bigger size in the SJ so I had to go with it. I'd say either way you cant go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The new goblin is setup for a 100mm fork. The geo change goes with the change from 80 for the old to 100mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sounds like the Stumpy is a known -- and great -- quantity, and buying it will help keep those young guys at Mike's earning paychecks.

Plus, that is a VERY fair price.

Finally, while some of Specialized's business practices may be open to valid criticism, they really come through when it comes to warranty claims.

Why fight it?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Airborne Product Dude
    I actually JUST saw a post on Reddit regarding Airborne. I checked out the Goblin, and although I'm not a fan of the color scheme, you can't argue with the price difference. But to me, there are a number of fairly significant compromises (for me at least) being made to get the bike to that price point, brakes, wheelset, and tires most importantly. This will end up being a bike that I keep for quite some time, so I'm not opposed to spending another $800 for something I wont feel the need to upgrade as much later on down the road.

Great suggestion though!
    In all fairness, the brakes/wheelset/tires on the Goblin are equal to or better than most bikes that cost even $400 more.

Elixir 7 brakes are a very solid brake set and IMHO are fairly worry-free once set-up. WTB double-walled and eyeletted rims laced to sealed hubs are robust and fairly bullet-proof, although not the lightest out there. And SB8's are a great tire, although maybe not for everyone, they aren't cheap.

Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions, I'd be happy to help. Thanks~

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Sounds like the Stumpy is a known -- and great -- quantity, and buying it will help keep those young guys at Mike's earning paychecks.

Plus, that is a VERY fair price.

Finally, while some of Specialized's business practices may be open to valid criticism, they really come through when it comes to warranty claims.

Why fight it?
    Couldn't say it better myself. The ONLY other hangup bike that I'm wrestling with is the Motobecane Fly Ti 29er. It ships free with no tax, which makes it roughly $50 more than the Stumpy. It's full Sram XO and titanium. I'd ultimately replace most of the cockpit parts (seat, post, maybe bars, and maybe stem)... so in the end it WILL be more money... but it would last forever, and I've always wanted a Ti bike. This is really tough.

mtbr member
    What is the stock weight of the two...I bet the Stumpy is 2-3 pounds lighter. The Stumpy's wheels/tires are 100% tubeless ready...add tape, valve stems, and sealant and you are good to go. I don't believe the Goblin's are; they will require Stan's strips..not the same thing.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I ended up going with the Fly Ti 29er. Both bikes would have had to be shipped and the Moto ended up being only $20 more. SRAM XO and titanium frame... I couldn't help it. I'll post pics when I get it all ready to ride.