mtbr member
    May 2013

13' specialized harddisk sport vs 13' giant revel 0

I have rode both and they feel about the same and are priced identical which would b the better buy as far has hardware ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Both are recreational bikes because of the fork.
    The Suntour fork is designed for recreational riding on bike paths and easy trails. Nick at Suntour offers a Raidon air fork upgrade for 175. A thread is in Beginners.
    The RockShox XC28 on the Airborne Guardian is trail capable if you weigh less than about 175.
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Both are recreational bikes because of the fork.
    The Suntour fork is designed for recreational riding on bike paths and easy trails. Nick at Suntour offers a Raidon air fork upgrade for 175. A thread is in Beginners.
    The RockShox XC28 on the Airborne Guardian is trail capable if you weigh less than about 175.
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian
    Im 6'2 250lb... i was planning on upgrading the fork with the raidon on which ever i got

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Because of the geo I'd also ride a Trek Marlin and one of the Scott Scale models. The slacker head tube angle is more stable in turns and going downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Because of the geo I'd also ride a Trek Marlin and one of the Scott Scale models. The slacker head tube angle is more stable in turns and going downhill.
    Im in FL there are no downhills lol ... we have a few technical trails but nothing crazy

i was looking at the trek marlin but not being able to swap out forks and that it comes with all bottom of the line components threw me off right now im really leaning for the Revel 0 for the sram x5 components and the XCM fork vs the XCT on the specialized

DMills
    Apr 2012

Re: 13' specialized harddisk sport vs 13' giant revel 0

Where in Florida dcar? I have a couple friends that are local bike shop managers in South Florida.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat but it was between the Specialized Hardrock and the Felt Nine 70. I bought an Airborne Guardian today.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I heard anyone over 185 shouldn't ride the guardian

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar View Post
    I've got to completely disagree.

Is the XC28 the best fork for riders over 185? No. Is it a real problem? No. It's a great beginner fork and fits a pricepoint. There are lots of riders that weigh more than 185 that ride an XC28 on many brands of bikes and are perfectly happy.

The folks that are hypercritical on entry and mid-level forks tend to look at things from a different point of view than a beginner rider does. I know that folks are trying to be helpful and I applaud that, but to me some of the statements I see on here about this subject are akin to saying that folks can't be happy with X5 shifters or wire bead tires. Everyone has to start somewhere and they don't necessarily need the best component right away.

Just my two cents.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Jeff I think was his name at Airborne told me that their bikes were tested at 300 pounds. Im also 6'1 300 the strength of the frames is one of my issues rite now too.
    Giving back ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As you get up in weight the XC32 is less flexy than the XC28. As you go beyond 225 or so the spring choice from RS is not available. You need an air fork to maintain the sag. No one at 300 pounds can use an XC28 beginner or not. Check in the Clydes section for options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar View Post
    I'm 6' 220 and I'm not concerned. I can't imagine it would be any worse than the Suntour XCT on my current bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just picked up a 13' Giant Revel 0 today 625 out the door with bottle cage .. bottle and helmet