mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well '12 Marlin/Rig hybrid. What's your input ?

In October I purchased a green '12 Marlin. With winter approaching fast, I have not had the opportunity to do much riding. With the time I have spent on the bike, I have learned a few things...

The Marlin has all shite components. Especially the Suntour fork. I got the bike for 600 bucks. Soooo..... I contacted the dealer and they have 1 2012 Rig left, just not my size. I put it on layaway. At $999, I figure it is a great deal, since the original cost was $1500. I am going to have them put all of the Rig components on the Marlin frame, and then sell the bike I have leftover. My Marlin is a 27.5, and the Rig is a 19.5.

I have read that the Rig rear dropout adjustments continually slip, causing some nasty crashes. Is it the same problem on the Marlin frame ? I checked the nuts on the bolts, and they loosen by hand. Can this be fixed with lock nuts ? Someone else on here said that if I have my LBS contact Trek, they will send out a newer design of adjusters. Is this true ?

Is there anything else I should know about, other than the fact that I should not have purchased a Trek ?

mtbr member
    you could have just built up the Marlin for $1000...including much better wheelset
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My main gripe was the forks. My LBS told me I would have to pay $700 to get the Fox forks that are on the Rig. That was my determining factor. Seven bills for front forks versus 1g for a whole bike. At least this way I can sell the extra bike for 4 to 5 bills and dump that into the bike for better wheels and/or other parts. My total cost spent will have been only $1600, with the surplus money made on the sale of the extra bike for upgrades (I hope). Do you concur ?