mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well '12 Marlin/Rig hybrid. What's your input ?

In October I purchased a green '12 Marlin. With winter approaching fast, I have not had the opportunity to do much riding. With the time I have spent on the bike, I have learned a few things...

The Marlin has all shite components. Especially the Suntour fork. I got the bike for 600 bucks. Soooo..... I contacted the dealer and they have 1 2012 Rig left, just not my size. I put it on layaway. At $999, I figure it is a great deal, since the original cost was $1500. I am going to have them put all of the Rig components on the Marlin frame, and then sell the bike I have leftover. My Marlin is a 27.5, and the Rig is a 19.5.

I have read that the Rig rear dropout adjustments continually slip, causing some nasty crashes. Is it the same problem on the Marlin frame ? I checked the nuts on the bolts, and they loosen by hand. Can this be fixed with lock nuts ? Someone else on here said that if I have my LBS contact Trek, they will send out a newer design of adjusters. Is this true ?

Is there anything else I should know about, other than the fact that I should not have purchased a Trek ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can't see how this is going to be good economically.
    The Rig is single speed-- no derailleurs, shifters, the brakes are Avids(squeek), and a Fox fork.
    Better to do the Suntour upgrade for $175 for a Raidon and the rear dropouts are different because yours is not a single speed which uses adjustable dropouts to tension the chain..
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    Read a review at the bottom of page 5.
    If you can find a 2012 X-Cal with the dual air Reba in your size at a good price or a used 2012 Scott Scale Elite in your size sell the Marlin in the spring for 500.
    Last edited by eb1888; 02-20-2013 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ride a 2012 Marlin frame that I built from the frame up and it's a great bike. Buying the Rig just to put the components on the Marlin isn't the best use of your money at all. You would still need to drop more money to make the bike noticably better/lighter. You're best bet is to take the Marlin as it is and instead of dropping 1k on the Rig, spend some money on a good fork, better wheelset, and a set of BB7s then ride the hell out of it. You can spend probably less than 7-800 and have your Marlin much nicer than swapping the Rig components to it for a grand.

If you get more serious about riding, you can upgrade other components as you go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    NOOOO!!! Don't buy a Rig just so you can swap the components. You can spend your money more efficiently than that. If you don't like the fork, you don't have to buy another SR Suntour fork. There are a lot of great budget forks out there such as the Society Fury and the Marzocchi Marathon R. BB7's are expensive compared to other hydraulic brakes that offer more power for the same amount of money. For example, Gusset Hydro Chute brakes are 70 quid and still have outstanding power and modulation. Buy some grippier, faster rolling tires and a good handlebar stem combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Rig and Marlin are the same frame I believe. So you are probably better off spending that money on upgrading the components on the Marlin and have a better bike than what the Rig is in the end.

For 1000 dollars I'd buy a better fork and better/lighter wheels that will transform that Marlin.