Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

'11 Lynskey 29er Prototype

Dear Santa, I think I want one of these for Christmas.

mtbr member

Ask for some lube and ear plugs ..too

With that aluminum insert in the headtube, I can only imagine how loud the creak will become in that area once you start riding that frame.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member

creak? what creak?

Dude, I'm still trying to figure out how to get it down the chimney!

Besides, I've already put my letter in the mail to Santa. It's on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did you ever have a problem with headset cups creaking ?
    Not much different.

mtbr member

no..

No... but my headset cups have always been in direct contact with the thick material of the head tube.....

Now you have a shim sandwiched between the headset cups and the headtube. A recipe for Creak..CREAK
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if they're fit nice and tight an put in with grease or lock tite it shouldn't be a problem. All the headset creaks i've had where from the top race /steerer tube fit.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    tell santa to wipe his grubby finger prints off it before he brings it

lord of my world
    Looks like the Ti El Mariachi with a bigger head tube, and cheaper!

mtbr member
    Be sure to check the geometry for the prototype, it's not the same as the production model, and it may not work for you. I saw that deal and was really excited, until I saw the geometry.

mtbr member
    me want one

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm guessing the headtube will accept a 1.5 HS now???

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    What's the length of time on the warranty on those frames?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    What's the length of time on the warranty on those frames?
    pasted from Lynskeys website

All Lynskey Performance Designs bicycle frames carry an unlimited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects, construction flaws, and craftsmanship to the original owner. We reserve the option to repair or replace your frame, depending upon the identified defect and the repairs necessary.

We also offer the only performance guarantee in the industry. Simply put, if you have ordered a custom frame and it does not perform per your ordered specification, then we will make it right. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with anything you have purchased from us, we want to hear about it. Tell us what the problem is and how we can fix it. That is our policy, period.

If you have crashed your bike or ran it into the parking deck while it was on your car, then it is not covered under our warranty program, but we can help you fix it. Give us the details and we can determine the best solution for repair

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    Be sure to check the geometry for the prototype, it's not the same as the production model, and it may not work for you. I saw that deal and was really excited, until I saw the geometry.
    Here's what I found: compared to the equivalent specs on their '10 models, the head tube & seat tube angles are the exact same and the effective top tube length is also the exact same. Other than the head tube being 0.75" longer (I'm assuming to accommodate the CC 110 ZS headset and aforementioned evil aluminum sleeve?) It looks like the most significant difference is the seat tube length is 1.5" longer (20" vs. 18.5") and the chain stays are 0.4" longer (17.5" vs. 17.1") on the prototype. Their are a few very minor differences - like less than a quarter inch - in the bottom bracket drop and the stand-over height.

But enough of that. For fourteen benjamins, I just wanna smoke-test this sexy beast because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it... people like me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phillabong
    Here's what I found: compared to the equivalent specs on their '10 models, the head tube & seat tube angles are the exact same and the effective top tube length is also the exact same. Other than the head tube being 0.75" longer (I'm assuming to accommodate the CC 110 ZS headset and aforementioned evil aluminum sleeve?) It looks like the most significant difference is the seat tube length is 1.5" longer (20" vs. 18.5") and the chain stays are 0.4" longer (17.5" vs. 17.1") on the prototype. Their are a few very minor differences - like less than a quarter inch - in the bottom bracket drop and the stand-over height.

But enough of that. For fourteen benjamins, I just wanna smoke-test this sexy beast because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it... people like me.
    I have a '10 Ridgeline and love it!! Rode steel bike before forever,I am glad I waited and bought the 29er in ti

mtbr member
    Great looking frame. So much nicer looking than their gimmicky twisted tubes, sliders and the new chain stay yoke on the Pro.

mtbr member
    I did some research on the Lynskey site by searching for "110ZS," which is the 44mm Cane Creek headset that comes with this frame and it's over-sized head tube. It looks like several of Lynskey's new 2011 road race, cyclocross and touring frames are adopting this headset configuration.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Thats a really nice deal but it would be nice to have a no fork option for a few hundred less. I guess they have an overstock of those repainted exotic forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phillabong

FWIW, I didn't like the geometry of the '10, so matching it doesn't excite me. I like the '11 even less. The angles are fine, the TT length is fine, but I'd want at least 6, preferably 6.5 cm worth of BB drop, they've got less than 5.75cm for the prototype and even less for the production '11. For the life of me I don't know why they build their bikes w/ such high bottom brackets. For me, it's a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Eh, the geo is fine with me. It's close enough to my stumpy in the areas I consider critical. I'm most looking forward to the chainstays being slightly (0.375") longer than I'm currently used to. I'm doing longer XC events now and welcome the added comfort.
    Last edited by phillabong; 11-29-2010 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    has anybody been able to get the bb height? ive called but am told all the info is on the webpage.bb drop dosnt tell me much.
    scs

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scsamoyan
    has anybody been able to get the bb height? ive called but am told all the info is on the webpage.bb drop dosnt tell me much.
    I thought I read on their site somewhere that the normal BB hieght is 12.5"? My current bike is 12", and I do have to watch for pedal strike. A 2" BB drop as mentioned on their site is 50.8mm. Now, if as I believe their figures are for a 100mm fork, if you use an 80mm, the BB will be lower, I'd guess at roughly a hair over 12", like mine (I run 80mm). I wouldn't consider that all that high myself.

mtbr member

huh? BB height is dependent on tires, and unless they tell you what size tires it is based on, BB height tells you nothing. However, BB drop is not dependent on tire size and therefore should tell you everything. It will give you a good idea on BB height AND gives you a much better idea of how the bike will handle.

I realize this is a personal choice, so I'm not saying anyone else should or should not like a particular BB drop. But, for me, I'd take pedal strikes all day to have a 6.5 - 7 cm BB drop rather than ride a bike w/ a 5 - 5.5 cm BB drop. The bike w/ the lesser BB drop 'should' be more 'flickable', but I don't do 'flickable'. I'd much prefer a more stable bike, which the greater BB drop 'should' provide. I say 'should', because of course there are many things that go into how the bike handles.

Regardless, I made the original comment re: geometry, not because I think it's wrong, just that the geometry for the prototype isn't the same as the production model. If you don't scroll down the webpage far enough, you may not be aware. Even though the price on the bike is a honkin' deal, it's no deal at all if you get it built up and find that you don't like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    agreed but the geo isnt all that different.but you dont thinck bb drop on the prototype should be a factor?
    scs

mtbr member
    agreed but the geo isnt all that different.but you dont thinck bb drop on the prototype should be a factor?
    The BB drop on the prototype is lower than the BB drop on the production model, but for MY money, they're both too high.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast